D Landon Dupont - Edge School U15 Prep, CSSHL U15 (2027 Draft)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It's a hockey Canada thing I believe.

In both Veleno and day's case the chl and hockey Canada were concerned they would lose them and let it cloud their judgement.

Although Veleno was a good player and was capable to play at 15, I think he was probably considered at best borderline. Day never should have been granted and remains the only ES player not to be taken #1 which should be am absolute given for an exceptional player. Before HC got involved and it was just the ohl which decided, they rejected John Mcfarland on this basis by polling the GMs who could possibly pick #1 to see where he stood.

I would say the rest of the players granted were successful and deserving all thing considered.

is Veleno a dual citizen? I don't think there was a fear he was going to the US.

Day’s development path could easily have led him to become an Ekblad-type 1D. I have zero issues with HC’s decisions to give exceptional status to Day or Veleno - rather, I think they should utilize it more aggressively to stop technically dual citizens from fleeing to the USNTDP.

Nowadays, it's more about stopping Canadians from going to the USHL instead. Misa already signed a tender with Chicago and HC granted him ES partly because of it.

Reactions: Dominance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Man, such a deserving recipient. I think anyone who dove into film could really see how special Dupont is. I remember when I first watched him a couple years back, I thought I was seeing Cale Makar on the ice. He is a special player who is going to be talked up for a long time going forward.
He will join another great young D prospect in Brek Liske when Everett selects him.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Who was the last? Is he not doing well?
The only other dman to receive exceptional status was Sean Day. He ended up getting selected by the Rangers in the 3rd round and has topped out as an AHL player. He's 26 years old and has played 2 NHL games in his career. Maybe he'll carve out a journeyman career at some point, but he's nowhere near what people hoped for him when he was playing in the OHL a year early.

He's big and a tremendous skater, but just doesn't seem to have the hockey sense to put his tools to good use.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
The only other dman to receive exceptional status was Sean Day. He ended up getting selected by the Rangers in the 3rd round and has topped out as an AHL player. He's 26 years old and has played 2 NHL games in his career. Maybe he'll carve out a journeyman career at some point, but he's nowhere near what people hoped for him when he was playing in the OHL a year early.

He's big and a tremendous skater, but just doesn't seem to have the hockey sense to put his tools to good use.
Does Aaron Ekblad not exist in your mind?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
is Veleno a dual citizen? I don't think there was a fear he was going to the US.

Nowadays, it's more about stopping Canadians from going to the USHL instead. Misa already signed a tender with Chicago and HC granted him ES partly because of it.
The only reason Veleno got ES was because he came out and stated he would go the college route if not granted ES. Hockey Canada got bullied by him, essentially

Reactions: Bubbles

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
The only reason Veleno got ES was because he came out and stated he would go the college route if not granted ES. Hockey Canada got bullied by him, essentially
I think it was this, plus the QMJHL wanting in on the ES "fun" with a Quebecois player. At that time, he was, statistically, the best 14 year old to play Midget in Quebec in the ES era (i.e. post 2005).

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
i have 2 but whos counting... ;)
congrats to you buddy.

maybe more in the future for both of us :)
I just went and looked at the people who started the John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, Connor McDavid, Sean Day, Joe Veleno, Shane Wright, Connor Bedard and Landon Dupont threads.

You started a grand total of ZERO of them buddy.

What do you even think Exceptional Status means??

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad