Speculation: D.J. Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
It's very hard to believe the vets outplayed anyone. The coaches and management have very little credibility left. Guys like Paquette, Stepan, and Anisimov have been awful. Itd be hard for anyone to do worse. If the kids were outperformed by these guys, one has to seriously question managment and their drafting. We must have some of the worst prospects in hockey if they're worse than these guys. If this is truly the best option, to sit a bunch of recent high picks back in Ottawa to just practice and not play hockey than we're way behind in the rebuild at this point.

Disagree, as the coaches are basically the only who watched camp and scrimmages. So if fans simply want to say "liar, liar, pants on fire..." at the coach saying its a meritocracy, that's fine, but the reality is this typically has more to do with said fans beliefs and hopes of what the lineup should have looked like in their eyes, rather than the idea White earned a spot in the opening lineup, but our coach just likes old guys better.

I don't buy it.

The fact Norris earned one of the top two center spots, is an indication that the coach has been willing to let youth earn there way on the team. Does the coach just like Norris better than Logan Brown, or perhaps Brown was not close to good enough? Does the coach just like Batherson more than White personally, or is it the fact Batherson earned his way into the lineup. We can't have it both ways where certain young players earned their way on the team, where others should have, but the coach just likes vets.

Anisimov and White both earn the same amount of $'s at around $4.5M. Should that mean either be given a top 9 spot? I totally get White is more important longer term, but if he was pedestrian in camp or has other issues the coach is choosing to not call him out publicly on, I think we can at least go a few more weeks to see how this shakes out. And White is getting into the lineup, despite not being very good so far, so it's not like he's totally ostracized.

Don't get me wrong. Youth can't sit for long. Personally, I'm most concerned probably about Stepan, as he has been arguably one of our weakest centers and getting some really prime ice time and linemates. He also missed camp and scrimmages mostly, so he got into the lineup by reputation versus battling the other centers in camp. I do think the fact we gave a 2nd round pick up for him makes it more likely he gets a longer leash, so that is one situation I agree fans have a reason to be at least mildly concerned about. If DJ wants to sit Stepan, he'll probably need to discuss that with PD first, and PD likely won't want to see that given the capital he gave up for Stepan. Also doesn't help with his trade value as the season progresses. I'm sure DJ and Dorion are discussing much of this daily as it is.

But in the end, we have 15+ forwardsn 8+ D that should be playing, so I get the frustration.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Disagree, as the coaches are basically the only who watched camp and scrimmages. So if fans simply want to say "liar, liar, pants on fire..." at the coach saying its a meritocracy, that's fine, but the reality is this typically has more to do with said fans beliefs and hopes of what the lineup should have looked like in their eyes, rather than the idea White earned a spot in the opening lineup, but our coach just likes old guys better.

I don't buy it.

The fact Norris earned one of the top two center spots, is an indication that the coach has been willing to let youth earn there way on the team. Does the coach just like Norris better than Logan Brown, or perhaps Brown was not close to good enough? Does the coach just like Batherson more than White personally, or is it the fact Batherson earned his way into the lineup. We can't have it both ways where certain young players earned their way on the team, where others should have, but the coach just likes vets.

Anisimov and White both earn the same amount of $'s at around $4.5M. Should that mean either be given a top 9 spot? I totally get White is more important longer term, but if he was pedestrian in camp or has other issues the coach is choosing to not call him out publicly on, I think we can at least go a few more weeks to see how this shakes out. And White is getting into the lineup, despite not being very good so far, so it's not like he's totally ostracized.

Don't get me wrong. Youth can't sit for long. Personally, I'm most concerned probably about Stepan, as he has been arguably one of our weakest centers and getting some really prime ice time and linemates. He also missed camp and scrimmages mostly, so he got into the lineup by reputation versus battling the other centers in camp. I do think the fact we gave a 2nd round pick up for him makes it more likely he gets a longer leash, so that is one situation I agree fans have a reason to be at least mildly concerned about. If DJ wants to sit Stepan, he'll probably need to discuss that with PD first, and PD likely won't want to see that given the capital he gave up for Stepan. Also doesn't help with his trade value as the season progresses. I'm sure DJ and Dorion are discussing much of this daily as it is.

But in the end, we have 15+ forwardsn 8+ D that should be playing, so I get the frustration.

I get what you are saying and patience is a virtue but I would much rather White completely blow his chance and at least we know rather than this odd management which will leave many wondering what he could do if given a few games in a row to get going.

None of our vets are going to help us win and none are looking like they will fetch much at the deadline.

IF the current situation remains then yes Norris and Batherson will have gained good experience but overall it will have been a waste of a season.

From the beginning of camp when they wouldn't provide much communication and failed to show scrimmages, etc...it has been questionable decision after questionable decision.

We had the high of the WJHC and then downhill ever since.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't buy it.

According to everyone we've heard from White's camp was not pedestrian. What has been said is that Anisimov's camp was better.. We really do not know. Calling one pedestrian is a bit much. This post is largely supportive of the decisions .. If all works fantastic for DJ having White , Wolanin and others on the outside looking in.. and he musters a 500 record with the largely vet roster what in the end does that buy us.. We are wasting time.. what we want is the younger players to improve not the vets to gel.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would much rather White completely blow his chance and at least we know e.

What do you call his 70 games last year ? How much more “of the same “ do you have to see before you try something different?

Buyout and expansion windows are about 6 months away. There 0-3 months to save $8 of buyout costs (waiving).

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
What do you call his 70 games last year ? How much more “of the same “ do you have to see before you try something different?

Buyout and expansion windows are about 6 months away. There 0-3 months to save $8 of buyout costs (waiving).

I think the problem is you are very impatient. One season does not make a career.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Can we start with scratching kids that needs playing time to develop and to see what we have in them, in favor of playing vets (plugs) that have no long term future with this team ... in a rebuilding year, in a short season, after over 300 days without playing hockey ?!?
I understand the need to insulate kids with quality veterans, but some of the vets on this team can't be called that, and we have too many of them blocking kids that need playing time.

Also, playing hard and physical is great, but going out of your way to hit to pleased the coach not to be scratched is dumb (looking at you Colin). Hits last game : 51/14 Ottawa. Were we in the game ? Answer : not even close.

Also, usage of kids late in the game like the previous game where we dominated until the last 5 min. Brady said himself he thinks they're ready to close games and I agree. The vets haven't done better, so let them try. What is there to lose ? You don't win or rarely win playing not to lose.
It's early in the year but some of DJ's decision so far have been headscratching to say the least.
End of rent !

Thanks for giving me a shoutout!

I want to see how worst we can be if Gelchenyuk is used properly in the top-6? How worst can we possibly be, than we already are?

We had some skill and speed in Duclair, we lost him like old pair of socks. We some one now in Gelchanyuk, and he's a on the bench, because of players like Haley? Arty?

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
Thanks for giving me a shoutout!

I want to see how worst we can be if Gelchenyuk is used properly in the top-6? How worst can we possibly be, than we already are?

We had some skill and speed in Duclair, we lost him like old pair of socks. We some one now in Gelchanyuk, and he's a on the bench, because of players like Haley? Arty?

Haha, good catch you're welcome ! :laugh:

Totally agree with you, especially with the Stüd out of the line-up. We need more speed and skills in the top 6 and on the PP.
Nothing to lose trying it for a few games.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hilarious the “Haley and the vets playing is not detrimental to the rebuild!”

Dorion and Smith think that the kids getting any more playing time is detrimental to the rebuild

Reactions: h2owned

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020

It's was his sophomore season. Have you ever heard of a sophomore slump?????????????????????????????

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Tonight? What’s your question.

l brown brannstrom are two guys that should absolutely be playing. Rotating in. White. Chlapik. Rotate them in. Jaros. Rotate him in.

yes - who should come In for who ? I mean Arti was Below average and to be honest White hasn’t been better. Maybe Chappy provides a jump? Jairo’s for who? That’s a big ask.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
yes - who should come In for who ? I mean Arti was Below average and to WB how at White hasn’t been better. Maybe Chappy provides a jump? Jairo’s for who? That’s a big ask.

White goes in for Anisimov.
Galchenyuk in for Paquette.
Chlapik in for Haley.
Brannstrom in for Reilly.

Pretty simple. Anisimov should be Boedker’d asap. Haley shouldn’t have a contract. Reilly and Paquette are taxi squad guys who can fill in for injuries.

Reactions: God Says No

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Anisimov’s haven’t inproved in 10 years and he’s plodding around centering the 2nd line as the other teams scores easy goals.

More like 4-5 years but those years are better than White. I don’t like Arti but he isnt worse than White.

Do you think White is better ? What skills or evidence do you use ?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
More like 4-5 years but those years are better than White. I don’t like Arti but he isnt worse than White.

Do you think White is better ? What skills or evidence do you use ?

If they’re both equally bad, which at this point, based on their games, they are, you play White 100 times out of 100 because there’s a chance, however slim it is, that he finds himself and becomes the player we thought he’d be when drafted.

There is zero potential upside to having Anisimov out there. No upside for the present, or for the future.

He’s useless to this organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad