Speculation: D.J. Smith - Part II

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Fire DJ! He is the worst coach I have ever seen. He can't make one decision right, initially, which is even clear and obvious. All his changes are after the fact, once he is left with no choice, or the changes just happens naturally, which he should have made on his own way earlier.

Interesting... I respect DJ a lot for the developmental standard he applies. As a fan I want to see these kids (Brown, JBD, Abramov) but he is rock solid in forcing them to elevate their game.

Compare that to Boucher who forced White, Jaros, and Lajoie into top rolls when their games were still full of holes. He wasn’t able to correct those holes and those players are all hurting 2-3 years later.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
When you can plug in two defencemen, who have a collective 1 game of NHL experience, and still win 5-1, that tells you a couple of things:

1. the system is easily teachable and easy to be adhered to

2. everyone is making the same commitment

3. this group listens and respects their coach

Josh Norris mentioned in a podcast the other day as to how important DJ has been to his development this year, and clearly, you can see Timmy's new commitment to defensive play. This coach is doing a tremendous job

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I don't think it mattered who he played to start the season. The result would have been the same. The long layoff put this team too far behind. It's not a coincidence that none of the teams that missed the play-ins last year are in the playoffs this year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think it mattered who he played to start the season. The result would have been the same. The long layoff put this team too far behind. It's not a coincidence that none of the teams that missed the play-ins last year are in the playoffs this year.
Not just because of the layoff. If they had played games and finished out of it .. it would not be a coincidence either

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I think you can give that a rest

Chabot out. A 3rd pair with 1 career game between them

I think he deserves a bit more credit than you're thinking

Yeah, no.

Chabot was out last game lol, what does that have to do with what transpired the first few months.

He's obviously going to get a few more months (for next season) because of the young guys developing nicely and producing. You better believe that had Batherson, Tkachuk, Norris and co. scored about 10 points less than what they have now, he'd be a goner much sooner.

The fact that he couldn't establish ONE game to shut down McDrai shows his weaknesses as a coach. Paraphrasing what he said along the lines- "Pray McDrai have an off night, because we can't do a thing about it".

Reactions: Emrasie

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, no.

Chabot was out last game lol, what does that have to do with what transpired the first few months.

He's obviously going to get a few more months (for next season) because of the young guys developing nicely and producing. You better believe that had Batherson, Tkachuk, Norris and co. scored about 10 points less than what they have now, he'd be a goner much sooner.

The fact that he couldn't establish ONE game to shut down McDrai shows his weaknesses as a coach. Paraphrasing what he said along the lines- "Pray McDrai have an off night, because we can't do a thing about it".
You might want to see what McDavid and Draisitl did against other teams. Other than Montreal, the 2 Oilers are the top scorers against every other North team. McDavid had more points against Winnipeg than Ottawa.

Reactions: insomniac

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You might want to see what McDavid and Draisitl did against other teams. Other than Montreal, the 2 Oilers are the top scorers against every other North team. McDavid had more points against Winnipeg than Ottawa.

Going 0-9 against them is unacceptable, whichever way you dice it.
Shut them down and Edmonton is a beatable team. DJ couldn't do that after nine tries.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Going 0-9 against them is unacceptable, whichever way you dice it.
Shut them down and Edmonton is a beatable team. DJ couldn't do that after nine tries.
We won the season series against Montreal and Calgary and still have a chance for 9 points in 9 games against Winnipeg and Toronto. Go ahead and have your opinion I will look at the whole body of work.

Reactions: guyzeur

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
We won the season series against Montreal and Calgary and still have a chance for 9 points in 9 games against Winnipeg and Toronto. Go ahead and have your opinion I will look at the whole body of work.

Whole body of work being (most likely) last in a weak division. Good point.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
It is funny that some of you think he didn't see that a lot of the older players he played at the start of the year were bad.

It was the plan all along and yet some of you can't get over yourselves "I am a better evaluator than DJ Smith because I can tell that Gudbranson is awful"

It was quite obvious that the plan was to let the vets play through that horrendous road trip that started the year and it's not all that hard to understand why, regardless of how it worked out.

Reactions: guyzeur

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't think Smith is as bad as the first half or as good as the 2nd half of the season. I'm not sure im impressed with his overall body of work given certain ice time and roster decisions, but i'm more then open to another year of his coaching. Going 0-9 against the Oils stings. If we can win against a roster that has Marner and Matthews, we should be able to take away a bit from McDrai

Reactions: Emrasie

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think DJ’s coaching staff could out party all the other Dads at the summer picnic. Absolute beauty staff, would be the best table in the NHL to sit and have a barley pop with

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Wishing DJ Smith a happy 44th birthday. I remember watching him play a few times when he played defence for the Windsor Spitfires!

Reactions: SensontheRush

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad