Speculation: D.J. Smith - Part II

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
DJ has made a lot of lineup decisions that I’ve hated this year and he sometimes says stuff that rubs most Sens fans the wrong way but I cannot deny his system works when you have good players in it. I think once you take out Brown and eventually Zaitsev the results will come in larger quantities.

Reactions: Senovision

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Although he does things I dont like, he is getting better with a lot of things as time goes on

Kinda have to view him as a prospect, can clearly create work ethic and battle just needs some growth on more tactical stuff

Reactions: SensontheRush

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Only way I get on the fire him immediately is if he doensn't play the young guys that have made strides this season. Idgaf if Dorion acquires some random plugs the way he did this year, Dorion is gonna Dorion, but for Smith to show he can adapt, bench players that suck and give us a roster that is full of energy and can compete

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
imo, he's had a successful season. Outside of Edmonton, we've played competitively with every team in the division including, and especially, our actual divisional rivals (Toronto and Montreal). All of our team stats have improved since the beginning of the year and they've managed to integrate all of the most important young players we have coming up.

I've really enjoyed the pace and structure they've been playing with and the fact that we've been hemming teams in their own zone is a huge compliment to him and his staff getting guys the technical skill and confidence to sustain that kind of play.

Does the win-loss record deserve praise? Questionable. In my mind, there's no question that DJ and his staff have really improved this lineup since the beginning of the year. Next year is really where the rubber hits the road and we can more accurately assess whether he's the longterm guy behind the bench to lead this team.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think that as long as DJ Smith plays "the kids" and lets them develop, the fanbase will be fairly tolerant of losses.
I find the defensive zone coverage has been creative and while it hasn't always worked, when it does, it creates a really fast transition out of the zone. I see it now and then and it's going to be impressive when the kids have it perma-cemented into their heads how to effect those very short passes in zone while trusting that guys will be there. You see this when they often make that pass to their own slot. It's a very confident way to defend and I like it. With high-skill players, it works really well.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I like DJ ,yeah he has made some mistakes ...But he is likely the guy to admit this...Also the team hasnt quit and continues to play hard

Reactions: The Expert

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Seems to be fostering a team identity and though I wouldn't say he's a system coach there seems to be a structure to the team now that wasn't there to start the season.

Honestly, no complaints for DJ in the second half of this season. I think he's a young head coach but he is adapting pretty well as the team solidifies around our core players. Next year is the big test though as I think everyone is going to have higher expectations for the team. I think if the team is bottom 10 again it likely means PD and DJ are gone.

Reactions: JD1

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'd like to see Pinto flip with White for a couple of games to play with Stutzle, and Bernard-Docker get some games. We know what Smith is. Its JBDs turn.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'd like to see Pinto flip with White for a couple of games to play with Stutzle, and Bernard-Docker get some games. We know what Smith is. Its JBDs turn.

This ^^^ ... but the opposite. It isn’t JBD’s turn ... maybe for a reason? Maybe the guy that skates with him every day sees that we don’t ?

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Hopefully he makes major improvements in the summer

He has potential as a coach but still makes a lot of mistakes

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
DJ is a good players coach. So he's good for this year and next. But when we add a serious asset on offense and when guys like Stutzle start to mature better, we will need a better performance coach.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I really like DJ, but one coach I would not complain if replace him. The winner Bob Hartley

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
DJ has been fine as the HC this yr, at the beginning of the yr he played the guys the GM his boss brought in & it doesn't matter who you have on the ice if the goalies can't stop a puck you're going to lose. They also started the yr with a lot of new guys & no training camp & that is going to take a while for players to mesh & the coach find who plays well with who in game situations.

Some guys are great in practice & not so much in game situations while other guys don't look all that great in practice & always seem to find the net in games. It was a slow start but not that unexpected, what was unexpected was how bad the goaltending was & it wasn't until Daccord & then Gustavsson got in there that the goaltending improved. And since replacing the goalie coach the two NHL starters have been better too.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Fire DJ! He is the worst coach I have ever seen. He can't make one decision right, initially, which is even clear and obvious. All his changes are after the fact, once he is left with no choice, or the changes just happens naturally, which he should have made on his own way earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad