Recalled/Assigned: D Frankie Corrado Assigned to Utica - Edler back tonight

arsmaster*

Good. Needs more seasoning, doesn't look as good as he did last year. Chasing in the d-zone, unsure of where he's supposed to be.

I'm not sour on him, just think it's best for him to be playing 24+ minutes a game.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
he's probably gotten slightly harder minutes this callup than he did last year, but i completely agree. he's probably a serviceable 6th defenceman right now if **** hits the fan but nothing about his play made me think that he needed to stay

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Good. Needs more seasoning, doesn't look as good as he did last year. Chasing in the d-zone, unsure of where he's supposed to be.

I'm not sour on him, just think it's best for him to be playing 24+ minutes a game.

There. Now people can stop suggesting we trade Tanev to make room for Corrado >:[

Pseudonymous*

Firstly, they sent him back when he was playing well (beg of season), then call him up when hes cold. Secondly, if given more minutes and more time to adjust to a different team and a different league, he would have done very well.

Even a player who is ready for the nhl would look like hes still struggling a bit when its only a few games in and hes getting hardly any minutes. Everyone needs time to adapt, even veterans

They were not going to try and have him fit as there was no reason to, we have 2 D set to return. Hes not being sent back for any other reason, Corrado is ready for the NHL

Last edited by a moderator:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Firstly, they sent him back when he was playing well (beg of season), then call him up when hes cold. Secondly, if given more minutes and more time to adjust to a different team and a different league, he would have done very well.

Even a player who is ready for the nhl would look like hes still struggling a bit when its only a few games in and hes getting hardly any minutes. Everyone needs time to adapt, even veterans

They were not going to try and have him fit as there was no reason to, we have 2 D set to return. Hes not being sent back for any other reason, Corrado is ready for the NHL
That's a bit of a fallacy. Corrado had to amp himself up for less than ten minutes of ice time per game to perform his dream job. His limited time in any meaningful situations leave me guessing what his capabilities might be. His lack of production this year in the AHL while being able to back a powerplay in junior will leave me looking for more tangible results in the next few months. He is the top defenseman on the worst team in the AHL, and has played sheltered minutes when he's been on the big team. If he's ready for the NHL, then he's ready for a 6th/7th spot which is not where he'll contribute and not where he'll blossom. There is absolutely zero reason to rush this player, and this entire love affair equates to a knee-jerk reaction to his snub from the Canadian WJ team last year.

Fact of the matter is that most NHL teams have a defensive prospect that is equal to or better than Corrado in their system, but most NHL teams don't have the defensive depth that the Canucks do. It's great to be able to call up someone reliable to fill those bottom-pairing minutes, but are we really looking at Corrado over Stanton and Tanev when we are healthy? Not yet. Not to mention, Stanton and Tanev are also two stocks on the rise that do not deserve to be bumped. Play Corrado over Alberts all you like, but Corrado on the farm is the ideal situation until the AHL playoffs are underway.

Pseudonymous*

That's a bit of a fallacy. Corrado had to amp himself up for less than ten minutes of ice time per game to perform his dream job. His limited time in any meaningful situations leave me guessing what his capabilities might be. His lack of production this year in the AHL while being able to back a powerplay in junior will leave me looking for more tangible results in the next few months. He is the top defenseman on the worst team in the AHL, and has played sheltered minutes when he's been on the big team. If he's ready for the NHL, then he's ready for a 6th/7th spot which is not where he'll contribute and not where he'll blossom. There is absolutely zero reason to rush this player, and this entire love affair equates to a knee-jerk reaction to his snub from the Canadian WJ team last year.

Fact of the matter is that most NHL teams have a defensive prospect that is equal to or better than Corrado in their system, but most NHL teams don't have the defensive depth that the Canucks do. It's great to be able to call up someone reliable to fill those bottom-pairing minutes, but are we really looking at Corrado over Stanton and Tanev when we are healthy? Not yet. Not to mention, Stanton and Tanev are also two stocks on the rise that do not deserve to be bumped. Play Corrado over Alberts all you like, but Corrado on the farm is the ideal situation until the AHL playoffs are underway.

Disagree with the first part. I believe hes currently better than you think he is.

And not sure why you included the last bit unless you took my post as saying he shouldn't be sent down

My post was only disputing the opinion that he wasn't nhl ready and the mention of said flaws. Not that he shouldn't be sent down

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Well the label of "NHL-ready" can be applied many different ways. For his supposed ceiling, I see no reason to do any more than get his feet wet. There is a big difference between what you'd call a top-4 defenseman on a cup contender and a top-4 defenseman on a team that misses the playoffs. If Corrado is ready to compete every single night, I'd like to see that in a role that befits his club-issued pedigree. Does he have the shot to back the powerplay? Can he make that breakout first pass every single time? To me, if you are a 25-minutes-a-night type of NHL-ready, you should be able to do those things on the regular. You should be able to produce points against professionals rather than simply prevent mistakes from occurring. Corrado is NHL-ready by the definition that he can buoy your team for a few games, but he should not be bumping anyone out of this lineup yet, so I think you need to try to build his play for the role you want him to eventually have, not the role he has today. He probably feels plenty rewarded with the tens of thousands of dollars he's earning in his pittance appearances so far.

By my standards, NHL-ready means you are "ready" to play against Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Steve Stamkos, John Tavares, Evgeni Malkin and the like. Every team has 2-3 players that should be capable of stomping the majority of your defensemen in standard sessions. The Canucks have benefited the past 3-4 seasons by having multiple defensemen that could line up against those types of players and shut them down. Corrado isn't there yet, but he's pegged to be, so let's let him get there first.

Pseudonymous*

Well my standard of NHL ready is, its more beneficial to be on the nhl team hes signed with than their ahl affiliate.

Not sure why you would have any other definition

I do believe hes ready to be on the 2nd PP, i do think he can play against players of such calibre if paired with a veteran (which is usually how young top d are groomed)

Pseudonymous*

How would you rate Frankie's play for his short stint up here?!

not as good as last time but still good (7/10 this time, 10/10 last time), you could see why hes going to be good. the only thing he lacked this time around was that he seemed unsure of himself and his decisions. Other than that, great. Showed me signs of why i think he'll be more offensive than he was in the AHL/Junior. Also showed his good shot and ability to hit and be hit, can definitely handle himself physically.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
he's probably gotten slightly harder minutes this callup than he did last year, but i completely agree. he's probably a serviceable 6th defenceman right now if **** hits the fan but nothing about his play made me think that he needed to stay

Harder? He played in the playoffs last year

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
not as good as last time but still good (7/10 this time, 10/10 last time), you could see why hes going to be good. the only thing he lacked this time around was that he seemed unsure of himself and his decisions. Other than that, great. Showed me signs of why i think he'll be more offensive than he was in the AHL/Junior. Also showed his good shot and ability to hit and be hit, can definitely handle himself physically.

All very promising!

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Wow. I had no idea that the NHL was teaming with defense prospects that are as good or better than Corrado. That must be why there are so many 20 year olds that can play defense in the NHL. Where is that mind blown avatar?

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Well there are a few studs like Brodin, Larsson, Trouba, Maata, Ceci, Lindholm and Vatanen, Connor Murphy, Ryan Murphy, Ryan Murray. I'm sure others could reel off a couple more...

arsmaster*

How would you rate Frankie's play for his short stint up here?!

Not good enough to get more than 10 minutes of ice-time, sure he could handle being a #6 on a Torts run Defense, but I'd rather him come up when he can be trusted to handle 12-15.

Didn't look quite up to it this go around. He'll get there.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Not good enough to get more than 10 minutes of ice-time, sure he could handle being a #6 on a Torts run Defense, but I'd rather him come up when he can be trusted to handle 12-15.

Didn't look quite up to it this go around. He'll get there.

I think last year coming in with No pressure on him really helped his game.

This time around he had more pressure and expectations and he didn't seem as Tanev like as he did last year.

Am I worried? Nope

Outside99*

That's strange, you'd think playing boatloads of AHL minutes on a well coached team paired with a veteran D partner would make him better ???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad