D Evan Bouchard - London Knights, OHL (2018, 10th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
He is still raw prospects but compared to Oilers NHL Dmen he already can send puck where he wants to, whether or not it is pass or shot. I mean connecting pass shouldn’t be that much to ask or shot from the point towards the net. I see some Burns in him but we will see if he ever can reach that high ceiling. If he is third best defender of the Oilers when his ELC ends, then he has been really good pick.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Everybody keep sleeping on Bouch, guy is seriously good with the puck. Beautiful stretch passes, cannon of a shot, incredible poise with the puck, very high iq player that flat out makes plays. Skating is average but he makes it work. Defense is the real issue but he seems like a quick learner that will get it sorted out. VERY bright future for him, he's gonna prove all you haters wrong. Maybe even as soon as this season.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I know the feeling. That’s how I felt when Montreal took Kotkaniemi and then Ottawa took Tkachuk. I knew that we could have Zadina or Hughes. I was celebrating and then...

Same for the Oilers in 2015. We had the 16th selection and nervously watched as the Bruins passed on Barzal on 3 consecutive picks. I was ecstatic and already celebrating us selecting McDavid AND Barzal in the same draft. Plus the pick we had at 33 in the second - this was going to be an elite draft, one for the ages....

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Reminds me of Marc Andre Bergeron. Great shot, and when he has the puck sure I think he can be effective. But everything else is pretty meh or "ewwww".

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Reminds me of Marc Andre Bergeron. Great shot, and when he has the puck sure I think he can be effective. But everything else is pretty meh or "ewwww".

Um, no. He's more like Justin Schultz as an 18-year old. His greatest asset is not his shot... it's his elite passing (much like Draisaitl and Schultz). He's really surprised me.

I wasn't a big fan of either Dobson nor Bouchard before the draft but now I believe Bouchard's passing ability should give him 9 games this season (which I was absolutely against after we picked him) and he should be a NHL regular with that skill alone. Whether he will be a bottom-pairing or top-pairing type is to be determined.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Bouchard is the most NHL ready. We all knew this. He's physically developed and dominated the OHL. The only thing I don't know is his ceiling. I think he has a great chance to be a good #3, but to be more he will have to improve his skating which he has time to do.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I’m still slightly down about the fact the Oilers passed on Dobson, but maaaaann it’s nice to see the puck get moved out of the zone so swiftly and efficiently. It’s truly what has stalled the Oilers in the past few years.
Give him a few games for sure.
He’ll be a game changer for them in the seasons to come.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Haven't seen much of the Oilers pre-season. I am wondering if those who have think it is best if Bouchard sticks with the Oilers, or would it be another case of the Oilers pushing a prospect into the NHL too quickly? You don't want the guy to just survive, but thrive.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Um, no. He's more like Justin Schultz as an 18-year old. His greatest asset is not his shot... it's his elite passing (much like Draisaitl and Schultz). He's really surprised me.

I wasn't a big fan of either Dobson nor Bouchard before the draft but now I believe Bouchard's passing ability should give him 9 games this season (which I was absolutely against after we picked him) and he should be a NHL regular with that skill alone. Whether he will be a bottom-pairing or top-pairing type is to be determined.

He reminds me a lot Pietrangelo when he used to come to our barn. His passes were incredible, he would zip the puck around the ice with pin point accuracy. His skating was good, not elite like say Fowler that year, but he could move. This intangible we call hockey IQ was on full display. Barrie would be trapped in their own end, then Pie would get the puck, make a quick pivot and fire a 30ft pass tape to tape to exit the zone in the span of a second. Bouchard gave me some of those vibes last year. Guys like that have high floors IMO because breaking out is 50% of being a defenceman in today's NHL.

If Ty Smith has electric puck handling and skating, Dobson has a good shot and good mobility, Hughes has ridiculous wheels and can handle it like a forward...then Bouchard strikes the "QB" of the group. He has the high end potential to be that guy who controls the game with his vision and anticipation.

For the record I only saw him a few times live but he looked very special. I was shocked he didn't go as the 2nd best defenceman, even though I like Hughes a bit more personally.

Haven't seen much of the Oilers pre-season. I am wondering if those who have think it is best if Bouchard sticks with the Oilers, or would it be another case of the Oilers pushing a prospect into the NHL too quickly? You don't want the guy to just survive, but thrive.

I haven't seen him in pre season, but based on his OHL play last year, he could use one more year in the OHL. I compare him to our own Liljegren - he could play at the NHL level, but probably shouldn't. Still lots to learn.

Bouchard is the most NHL ready. We all knew this. He's physically developed and dominated the OHL. The only thing I don't know is his ceiling. I think he has a great chance to be a good #3, but to be more he will have to improve his skating which he has time to do.

I really think he could be a strong #2.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
He reminds me a lot Pietrangelo when he used to come to our barn. His passes were incredible, he would zip the puck around the ice with pin point accuracy. His skating was good, not elite like say Fowler that year, but he could move. This intangible we call hockey IQ was on full display. Barrie would be trapped in their own end, then Pie would get the puck, make a quick pivot and fire a 30ft pass tape to tape to exit the zone in the span of a second. Bouchard gave me some of those vibes last year. Guys like that have high floors IMO because breaking out is 50% of being a defenceman in today's NHL.

If Ty Smith has electric puck handling and skating, Dobson has a good shot and good mobility, Hughes has ridiculous wheels and can handle it like a forward...then Bouchard strikes the "QB" of the group. He has the high end potential to be that guy who controls the game with his vision and anticipation.

For the record I only saw him a few times live but he looked very special. I was shocked he didn't go as the 2nd best defenceman, even though I like Hughes a bit more personally.

I haven't seen him in pre season, but based on his OHL play last year, he could use one more year in the OHL. I compare him to our own Liljegren - he could play at the NHL level, but probably shouldn't. Still lots to learn.

I really think he could be a strong #2.
Nice to see a Leafs fan thats a believer and didnt just drop in to say "Lol they passed on Dobson".

I also agree somewhat with the Petro comparison. Offensively he is like Petro but in terms of defense and 2 way play he is way behind. The comparison I go with is a John Carlson type of dman.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Yeah, I'm higher than Hughes than the others. I don't see Dobson's offense translating to the NHL. Too vanilla. Nothing elite. He's like Dylan Strome (who I hated as a prospect and still do) of D but vastly better skater.

I felt Bouchard's skating was average and he lacked a strong defensive game (or maybe just intensity?) but in preseason games... wow... his vision/IQ/passing are just sublime. Was expecting to hate him and send him back to junior like I wanted Draisaitl and JP and all other Oilers prospects but he's already a better passer than even most forwards.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yeah, I'm higher than Hughes than the others. I don't see Dobson's offense translating to the NHL. Too vanilla. Nothing elite. He's like Dylan Strome (who I hated as a prospect and still do) of D but vastly better skater.

I felt Bouchard's skating was average and he lacked a strong defensive game (or maybe just intensity?) but in preseason games... wow... his vision/IQ/passing are just sublime. Was expecting to hate him and send him back to junior like I wanted Draisaitl and JP and all other Oilers prospects but he's already a better passer than even most forwards.

Sounds a lot like the player I saw in junior. I only dislike Oilers on this board due to a certain few fans, but in the real world I look forward to his future with them. I think it’s quite bright!

For the record, I had Bouchard and Smith both above Dobson. When I watched Dobson, I couldn’t help but think he was going to be an okay 2nd or 3rd pairing dman. With Bouchard, I saw that top pairing talent.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Im with you on this 100p

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Things he is great at: Passing the puck with hard crisp movement
Things he is good at: Shooting the puck, But needs to get it off his stick faster
Things he is bad at: Skating side to side, and acceleration
Things he is awful at: Defensive positioning.

Overall: He has a really good preseason, His strengths and weaknesses were all highlighted exactly. I think he should be sent down for another year and not be rushed, Let him work on his defensive game, Who cares about his offensive game as much when he gets sent down.

Prediction: Will top out as a #1 PP guy and a #3 D-man.

Reactions: Snippit

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Things he is good at: Shooting the puck, But needs to get it off his stick faster

Overall: He has a really good preseason, His strengths and weaknesses were all highlighted exactly. I think he should be sent down for another year and not be rushed, Let him work on his defensive game, Who cares about his offensive game as much when he gets sent down.

I was with you at the draft but after watching him in the preseason I see Draisaitl-like vision from him. He's not just a good passer he makes quick decisions like Leon and has a knack for tapping the puck in the right direction. You can't teach this type of vision.

Also, it's sad that the Oilers don't have a breakout D like Bouchard.... so 9 games would not hurt. He definitely should be in junior just like Draisaitl in his rookie season.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Really not that bad at defensive positioning. I think he is fully aware of what he is doing and he is a fast learner. He is what now, a +7 in 3 preseason games?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Schultz's passing was incredibly overrated. He was an extremely mobile skater, but he wasn't an elite passer.

Reactions: A91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad