Prospect Info: D Declan Chisholm (2018 5th, 150th overall) - Signed ELC

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Chisholm wasn't invited to Team Canada tryout camp. He wasn't really expected to be though

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Chisholm wasn't invited to Team Canada tryout camp. He wasn't really expected to be though

And somehow Markus Phillips (9 pts in 29 gp), Noah Dobson (-28 in 26 gp), and Cameron Crotty (0 pts in 13 NCAA gp) were invites.

It looks like Hockey Canada is using draft position and previous seasons success, and not recent success to pick the team. Weak moves!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
And somehow Markus Phillips (9 pts in 29 gp), Noah Dobson (-28 in 26 gp), and Cameron Crotty (0 pts in 13 NCAA gp) were invites.

It looks like Hockey Canada is using draft position and previous seasons success, and not recent success to pick the team. Weak moves!
Tell that to Brett Leason. ;)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
True enough! Leason's season has been absolutely spectacular production wise. Couple with his physical gifts, I don't think they had a choice.
That's going to be an interesting name come July. He is in his D+2, which means that he is likely being drafted, but how early do you take a 6'4" 20-year-old who has killed his competition?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's going to be an interesting name come July. He is in his D+2, which means that he is likely being drafted, but how early do you take a 6'4" 20-year-old who has killed his competition?

This is where you need to trust the scouts and understand the story. If this was his D+1 and he had a growth spurt I would be more excited but he was forgettable in his D and D+1 seasons and now a big guy is owning kids smaller and younger than him? I haven’t watched him play but the numbers don’t make sense.

I am more jazzed by a guy like Chisholm who is destroying his D+1 season and he appears to be the clear driver at both ends of the rink. Chisholm has 28 points the next closet guy on his team has 25 then everyone else is in the teens getting 2/3 the points he is. I don’t know when the last time is that I have seen that on a major junior team from a 2 way D man?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Did they get some tips from Hockey USA? :laugh:

Reactions: mazmin

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

Without having seen him play I can only guess. If it's clear that he can think the game and skate well enough to project as a pro then I could see him go in the Top 100. Perhaps he's the prototypical late bloomer. His coach said he was a top player after the trade deadline and into the playoffs last season. Then he worked hard on his skating and this season, as we've all noticed, he's been the top center in the league and one of the best in the whole CHL.

Reactions: Maukkis

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Has anyone followed Gawanke with Cape Breton? His PPG total has increased by a significant amount from last season. Is this mostly due to personal development, increased icetime, better teammates? I'd be curious to hear from anyone that has seen him in person the past few seasons. The improvement in stats are certainly encouraging!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Without having seen him play I can only guess. If it's clear that he can think the game and skate well enough to project as a pro then I could see him go in the Top 100. Perhaps he's the prototypical late bloomer. His coach said he was a top player after the trade deadline and into the playoffs last season. Then he worked hard on his skating and this season, as we've all noticed, he's been the top center in the league and one of the best in the whole CHL.
Interesting. It is very difficult to compare a much more developed product in Leason to kids who are only entering the draft this summer.

Hopefully Chisholm continues to quietly excel. Maybe he gets a shot at the WJC next year. Something I'm especially excited about is that Peterborough doesn't seem to have any top forward prospects who could elevate Chisholm's totals.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting. It is very difficult to compare a much more developed product in Leason to kids who are only entering the draft this summer.

Hopefully Chisholm continues to quietly excel. Maybe he gets a shot at the WJC next year. Something I'm especially excited about is that Peterborough doesn't seem to have any top forward prospects who could elevate Chisholm's totals.

Yea that is what stands out most.......it’ kind of the big 3 for me.

He is putting up big points while......significantly out producing teammates meaning he appears to be the driver......this while playing on their top shut down pair.

The fanbase who watch the games say they would’t describe him as an offensive defensemen he is more of a 200 foot total package player.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes. I think his success is all up to him. He has the basic instincts and hockey sense and skill. If he works hard enough and becomes a plus skater, he has a chance to be a good NHLer.

He already is a plus skater from whatvi have seen.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I had thought the reports were that he was a plus skater. That review doesn't sound glowing in that regard and the video seemed to back it up.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: Whileee

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Wow we might actually have a Jets prospect on Team Canada , seems like it's been awhile .
Maybe at draft time Chevy may decide that Canadians can play hockey too :sarcasm:

All kidding aside, I mentioned in another thread about Chisholm's hot start. He's the forgotten prospect (perhaps along with Harkins, who appears to be a late bloomer). He could beat Niku and Stanley to a regular position with the Jets.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I really like his game, and he's gotten better every year. Would love to see him at the WJC, and then make the leap to regular minutes with the Moose. He's trending to be a pretty complete D with offensive upside, and a really fun player to watch.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
One major issue...
What do Chisholm, Morrissey, Logan Stanley, Sammi Niku, Dylan Samberg and Ville Heinola all have in common? They all shoot left.

Decisions will have to be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad