Line Combos: D-core 20-21

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Would anyone be opposed to just going super young next year on the back end and going with something like:

DK- Hronek
Nemeth- Seider
Cholo- lindstrom
Bowey

I know it’s very young and the worry is they get shelled but with the way lindstrom has looked and the pedigree of Seider I don’t see this D-core looking that bad. Sure they will have their moments but quite frankly they will be able to move the puck a million times better than what we ice now. Thoughts?

Don't mind it. Ideally we sign or trade for a defense better than DeKeyser sliding the whole left side down a slot, and pushed Bowey right out of the line-up/team. Boweys bound to be a AHL super-star.

UFA/Trade - Hronek
DeKeyser - Seider
Nemeth - Lindstrom

Cholowski

Reactions: lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Would anyone be opposed to just going super young next year on the back end and going with something like:

DK- Hronek
Nemeth- Seider
Cholo- lindstrom
Bowey

I know it’s very young and the worry is they get shelled but with the way lindstrom has looked and the pedigree of Seider I don’t see this D-core looking that bad. Sure they will have their moments but quite frankly they will be able to move the puck a million times better than what we ice now. Thoughts?

Too young.
Hronek still struggles like a young D.
Seider's a rookie.
Cholo is essentially still a minor leaguer.
Lindstrom is a rookie eating minuses faster than Bowey/Hronek/Cholo.

Dekeyser and Nemeth aren't good enough to carry that load.

You need a veteran RD.
I'd sign Gudas.
Dekeyser-Seider
Nemeth-Hronek
Cholowski-Gudas

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
As to the OP's original question/point, no we can't field the 20-21 blueline exclusively from within the organization. I think we see Cholo and Seider substantially all of the year put we will need to pull something out of the UFA pond to avoid a complete gong show next year. We need as much stability as possible to support the youngsters (both defensemen and forwards).

The people asking to see Seider on the top pair as a 20-year-old are out of their damn minds.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
The people asking to see Seider on the top pair as a 20-year-old are out of their damn minds.

not that I want to see him thrown into a top pair role right off the hop, but I think he’s already better than hronek defensively and hronek is playing top pair. I don’t think it’s THAT ridiculous.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
not that I want to see him thrown into a top pair role right off the hop, but I think he’s already better than hronek defensively and hronek is playing top pair. I don’t think it’s THAT ridiculous.
It's fine , but he needs to pare with veteran like Green or someone better

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tought to predict.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Seider
Cholowski - Bowey
Lindström

or if signing Krug, then pushing either Cholowski or Lindström to Griffins.

Zadorov rumour is also interesting. Could mean that DeKeyser is done, if so.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Tought to predict.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Seider
Cholowski - Bowey
Lindström

That third pairing would be so :eek: I'd swap Bowey with Lindstrom to be honest at the very least.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
As to the OP's original question/point, no we can't field the 20-21 blueline exclusively from within the organization. I think we see Cholo and Seider substantially all of the year put we will need to pull something out of the UFA pond to avoid a complete gong show next year. We need as much stability as possible to support the youngsters (both defensemen and forwards).

I paired with Dekeyser because it's him or Nemeth.
My guess is that a Dekeyser-Seider pairing would be our best pairing.
But list Nemeth-Hronek as the #1 pairing if you like.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
That third pairing would be so :eek: I'd swap Bowey with Lindstrom to be honest at the very least.

yeah I wouldn’t pair nemeth with Seider either. I’d spread the steady defensively minded guys out. Pair them with a more rover type player to cover their ass.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Tought to predict.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Seider
Cholowski - Bowey
Lindström

I don't take our rumored potential interest in Zadorov as DDK being done, but I wouldn't rule it out either. Having 3 solid defensive/stay-at-home D men + Lindstrom isn't too much. DDK is more of a 2-way (defense 1st) Dman, while Nemeth/Zadorov/Lindstrom are the stay at home Def.Dmen.

Our GAA/PK etc. need as much help as possible especially without a true #1G/1D/2D, so failing to land a PMD like Brodie/Krug wouldn't be too terrible for the short term.

DDK-Hronek
Zad/Nemeth-Seider
Zad/Nemeth-Lindstrom
Bowey

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Hard to guess at this point.

I would guess that Yzerman probably signs another Nemeth type to a 2 year deal.

He probably also carries 8 dmen again and I wouldn't be surprised if the #8 spot goes to Hicketts or McIlrath.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think adding an experienced defensive guy on a 2 year contract would be ideal. I like the Gudas idea, really shores up the backside bridging the gap while our young guys gain experience

Let's bring Cholo, Lindstrom and Seider along slowly and with ample support. Start Lindstrom in the AHL

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I think we are good on defensive d-men. Hronek, Nemeth and Dekeyser will all be in the lineup. Adding another stationary guy is asking for trouble imo.

I would love somebody like Brodie, who could amp up the mobility of a veteran top pair, or be a rangey shotgun mentor for one of Seider or Cholowski. Brodie would have great chemistry with Bertuzzi and Mantha, and even though his game is far from elite, he really fits the old school 'horizontal n gun' stylings of guys like 59,14,39.

Lindstrom has been impressive, and I expect next year to be a good year to push Seiders limits a bit. Whereas I would like to see Hronek and Cholowski get fixed roles, but limited minutes for the year.

I think Cholowski and Hronek as a pairing creates a great learning environment for them. The times they've been together they've played a lot differently then they do when their strengths are being emphasized in other roles. I'd like that to be a fall back pairing for nights we want to push Lindstrom and Seider up the lineup for test runs.

Basically play 17 and 21 33% of the year at each of the three TOI slots. Some top pairing nights(Hronek/Dekeyser, Cholowski/Brodie), some middle pairing nights(Hronek/Lindstrom or Nemeth, Seider/Cholowski), some active rest and learning environment nights on the bottom pair.

I would hate to see Bowey extended, and think we have all summer to find an 8th guy to factor in. I would keep Biega if we can't find anybody. You can add in 16 games from McIsaac and Kotkansalo too.

There will be no obvious top pairing for any stretch of the year. But I believe a good coach could find a way to put together those 8 guys throughout the year in a way that avoids long term wear and tear, emphasizes development, and every now and then finds the right splits/pairings/matchups to win some games on case by case basises.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I dunno how easy this is to answer, but I'm curious so I'll throw the question out there
Is it better right now, given the choice, to have 1: the best possible top 4, and then have a couple who-cares fillers play a few minutes on line 3? Or 2: to make sure we have 6 good defensemen, at the possible expense of 1 higher end guy, or maybe the forward group?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I would hate to see Bowey extended, and think we have all summer to find an 8th guy to factor in. I would keep Biega if we can't find anybody. You can add in 16 games from McIsaac and Kotkansalo too.

I would imagine Bowey gets qualified, if only because they'll have few sure thing NHL dman at their disposal when the season ends. Since he cleared waivers, they can offer him a two-way QO, so he won't have much bargaining power. He probably gets another 1 year deal at right around the same salary. Bowey probably gets penciled in as the #3RD next year, but can be pushed to the pressbox if Lindstrom or Seider have a solid camp/preseason.

I can also see them giving Hicketts a shot as a #7/8D next year.

Starting next year, he'll count as a veteran in the AHL, so unless Yzerman moves him or one of Lashoff or McIlrath in a trade or one of them gets claimed on waivers, they'll likely have some rotation in GR where one of them sits as a healthy scratch for the Griffins every game.

I mean at this point isn't Hicketts just a younger and slightly smaller Biega?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I would imagine Bowey gets qualified, if only because they'll have few sure thing NHL dman at their disposal when the season ends. Since he cleared waivers, they can offer him a two-way QO, so he won't have much bargaining power. He probably gets another 1 year deal at right around the same salary. Bowey probably gets penciled in as the #3RD next year, but can be pushed to the pressbox if Lindstrom or Seider have a solid camp/preseason.

I can see them giving Hicketts a shot as a #7/8D next year.

Starting next year, he'll count as a veteran in the AHL, so unless Yzerman moves him or one of Lashoff or McIlrath or one gets claimed on waivers, they'll likely have some rotation in GR where one of them sits as a healthy scratch for the Griffins every game.

I don't think so no. Hicketts was a disaster in the NHL this year, and Biega is playing out of his mind.

The potential for Biega to maintain his level of play past the short term is slim. However I believe Bowey and Hicketts have 0 potential, and are otherwise below replacement level.

I understand it's not so simple to find that extra body, and appreciate your points about insurance and flexibility. But I believe Biega offers those same properties, without threatening to obstruct the pipeline in any way, and I would like to see the other slot used to go to the discard or unknown deck while we have the chance.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I would honestly just pay some veteran with sandpaper to take some minutes away from the young guys and deal with getting shellacked on a regular basis.

I don't even care if we overpay considering the idea would be for them to be a punching bag for the opposition's top lines.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I can also see them giving Hicketts a shot as a #7/8D next year.

Starting next year, he'll count as a veteran in the AHL, so unless Yzerman moves him or one of Lashoff or McIlrath in a trade or one of them gets claimed on waivers, they'll likely have some rotation in GR where one of them sits as a healthy scratch for the Griffins every game.

Biega is a plus skater. Hicketts is not. That's the crystal clear difference to my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad