Line Combos: D-core 20-21

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Would anyone be opposed to just going super young next year on the back end and going with something like:

DK- Hronek
Nemeth- Seider
Cholo- lindstrom
Bowey

I know it’s very young and the worry is they get shelled but with the way lindstrom has looked and the pedigree of Seider I don’t see this D-core looking that bad. Sure they will have their moments but quite frankly they will be able to move the puck a million times better than what we ice now. Thoughts?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like that bottom 4.

I don’t really want to watch another year of Dekeyser on the top pair. I think either Dekeyser or Nemeth would be fine to play with Seider on the middle pair, but I’d like to get someone better to play with Hronek ideally.

Reactions: hkydave04

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I like that bottom 4.

I don’t really want to watch another year of Dekeyser on the top pair. I think either Dekeyser or Nemeth would be fine to play with Seider on the middle pair, but I’d like to get someone better to play with Hronek ideally.

ya I agree, obviously Krug would be a great get but I wonder if even a guy like jake gardiner would fit nicely here, would make the D very mobile and more puck movement oriented. I’m sure something around AA could work. Other one that interests me is zadorov for AA

Reactions: DatsDeking

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
ya I agree, obviously Krug would be a great get but I wonder if even a guy like jake gardiner would fit nicely here, would make the D very mobile and more puck movement oriented. I’m sure something around AA could work. Other one that interests me is zadorov for AA

I actually like Zadorov quite a bit too, I feel like stylistically he would work well with Hronek.

Gardiner is good but too much of a liability defensively IMO.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
With DDK's back being a potentially huge question mark (adding to his list of injuries/games missed) & Lindstrom's emergence, the '21 expansion draft will be very interesting. If Lindstrom shows Top 4 potential next season, I'd consider trading DDK as soon as he re-establishes himself (if he does). Or, (more likely & preferable imo) trade Cholo if he isn't showing enough by early 20-21 (salvage any trade value).

Sign Brodie for $5-6m x 5yrs? (he'll likely get better offers). If he wants $6+ then no.

DDK-Hronek
Brodie-Seider (I'll be so disappointed if he's "not ready" Oct.1st)
Nemeth-Lindstrom
Bowey
Cholo-GR 'til he's ready, if not trade

Reactions: lilidk

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm willing to leave Seider in the minors for another year. I don't think it's wise to throw a 19-year old in the NHL on a bad team.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Would anyone be opposed to just going super young next year on the back end and going with something like:

DK- Hronek
Nemeth- Seider
Cholo- lindstrom
Bowey

I know it’s very young and the worry is they get shelled but with the way lindstrom has looked and the pedigree of Seider I don’t see this D-core looking that bad. Sure they will have their moments but quite frankly they will be able to move the puck a million times better than what we ice now. Thoughts?
It's all depends who is behind the bench. I'd let Cholo stay in GR and have Green or someone like Kruger be mentors for kids.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm willing to leave Seider in the minors for another year. I don't think it's wise to throw a 19-year old in the NHL on a bad team.
It's not as bad as badly coached . Babcock or Galant can turn things around quickly. Yes and don't forget to give Larkin C

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's not as bad as badly coached . Babcock or Galant can turn things around quickly. Yes and don't forget to give Larkin C
I guess. I think Seider is the most important prospect for the organization long-term and I don't believe they should be forced to play him in the NHL until he is ready.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I like that idea, eventually we need to stop patching the D and start committing to some kind of core. If they bring in an outsider I want it to be someone in that same 24 year old age group. I don't want to see a 28-29 year old UFA signed long term and eating up top cap space on their decline around the time any core that gets build can start thinking playoffs. It would be bad asset management.

Seider doesn't seem like the type to have his development ruined by being brought in, he has been playing above his age group his whole career. But I do understand the concern. I feel like we need players that are difference makers no matter what the conditions they play under. If we don't have those kind of players we need to know because if we don't have them yet we need them eventually.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dunno, I would wait to see at camp. Hes played against men a couple years now and at that high of a pick lots of dmen jump right into the NHL and look solid.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

DK- Hronek
Nemeth- Seider
Cholo- lindstrom
Bowey

Overall I really like it, and in a world where guys don't get hurt I'd be fine with this. My worry is if someone like DK gets hurt then we throw in Bowey, we will get shelled as it would be Nemeth and a bunch of kids. I would only roll with this if you added a vet to play on the top pairing. Krug would be the guy I choose off the top of my head. If anyone is wondering why I'm not choosing Pietrangelo, its because I just can't see the captain of a cup contender coming here unless we throw crazy money at him, and I dont want to throw crazy money at anyone.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Krug is going to be looking for a big contract too.

You are right though that roster leaves huge injury vulnerability. And if the skill level isn't enough to have some puck possession the constant broken plays can also lead to injuries.

I just hope some of these guys can step it up next year so we can start the transition with some control.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Sign Krug or Pietrangelo if they are available. If not hopefully we can trade AA for a LD prospect that is ready to play in the NHL.

I see absolutely no reason to bring Bowey back. I would much rather give that spot to McIlrath. He play solid defensively and physical when called up, something this team is sorely lacking.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I like that bottom 4.

Like who?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Sign Krug or Pietrangelo if they are available. If not hopefully we can trade AA for a LD prospect that is ready to play in the NHL.

I see absolutely no reason to bring Bowey back. I would much rather give that spot to McIlrath. He play solid defensively and physical when called up, something this team is sorely lacking.
I was surprised to see that he is 2nd on our team in points among the defencemen.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

Pietrangelo's not signing here

Reactions: JustJokinenAround

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Krug - Seider
DK - Hronek
Nemeth - Lindstrom
Bowey

Cholowski has waiver eligibility. No matter how good he is in camp I would like to attempt this the opposite way this time. Let's have him force his way up from Grand Rapids and be replacement for the first injury. Of course if DK isn't actually ready because of the back and we don't know that, he does become the logical guy up at that point. Hopefully with another summer of work Cholo is ready and he makes Bowey completely expendable and turns Nemeth and Lindstrom into your rotation guys with Nemeth leaving in free agency. But I see no reason to force that issue, this is a big summer for him.

Also this relies on Krug making it to free agency something I am not certain of. But if you want my plan for today that would be it. Hard to do before the draft and before free agency.

Reactions: Frk It

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

DK- Hronek
Nemeth- Seider
Cholo- lindstrom
Bowey

I'd like to see Seider given the opportunity to anchor the top pairing. Also think Cholo would do well on the third pairing with a steady vet partner like Nemeth or DDK. Put the other one with Lindstrom on the second pairing. Would try Bowey as a forward before wanting him back on defense, though. I'd prefer we sign someone decent to tide us over. This looks like a more functional and fun defense than what we currently have by a country mile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad