D Cam Dineen - North Bay Battalion, OHL (2016, 68th, ARI)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
so happy for his hard work. he actually has some Duncan Keith skills but clearly a long way to go to get anywhere near that. I hope he continues strong and finishes the year out on HIGH note, he should be a top 60 lock right now with plenty of room to grow.

That's who I think of every time I see him stylistically, guess he's not much of a secret anymore! What a year he's had.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Both him and L. Green are 2 PMD's that i really like, 30-40 range (on draft day) for both of them. Dunno if Dineen could sneak into the 1st tho, Green could.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I live in North Bay and have watched him a ton this year. Basically, he's undersized and doesn't have top end speed. What he does have is great vision and exceptional hockey IQ. He seamlessly joins the rush and gets involved in the offense. Despite his size, he's not a defensive liability and is strong in his own zone. He's also paired with Kyle Wood who's the ideal partner for him and they've been an elite top pairing for the Battalion all year. I think Ryan Ellis light is a fair comparable. Solid 2nd round pick, steal in the 3rd.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I live in North Bay and have watched him a ton this year. Basically, he's undersized and doesn't have top end speed. What he does have is great vision and exceptional hockey IQ. He seamlessly joins the rush and gets involved in the offense. Despite his size, he's not a defensive liability and is strong in his own zone. He's also paired with Kyle Wood who's the ideal partner for him and they've been an elite top pairing for the Battalion all year. I think Ryan Ellis light is a fair comparable. Solid 2nd round pick, steal in the 3rd.

Thanks for posting. How would you describe his acceleration these days?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
watched the game between Flint and man I walked away impressed as hell with Dineen. I am so impressed with him not for his offensive prowess but his overall game is simply responsible and crisp. the kid pinches at all the right time, his in-zone stick work is excellent. he shields players off and into the boards so well, just a very solid player.

all this talk that this kid needs to work on his play away from the puck is lunacy as I haven't seen issues at all. yes he is a solid PMD in theory, but he can do it all out there and can play in all zones..kid was on the ice almost the whole damn game it seemed.

a reliable, smart, offensively skilled player like this does not last past #30 in most drafts especially considering this isn't a monster draft for dmen. he is second overall in the entire OHL for scoring from the point, and from what I consistently see away from the puck he can do it all.

very happy for Cam and his success.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this draft is pretty strong in the top 15-20, but after that, it drops off.

Someone like Dineen who I assume some teams are convinced is very underrated is probably going to get picked in the 20-25 range just because after these agreed upon top level talents there isn't a lot of consensus. If Dineen is the player you want after the agreed upon top level talents, you are going to pick him, you won't care that he hasn't been viewed by most as a first round pick this season, very similar to what happened with Juulsen last season.

Also, about the people that have complained about Juulsen, do you watch Everett play or just look at his stats? He's had a good season, Everett's tied for allowing the least goals in the CHL, and they don't have tons of top prospect shutdown defenseman that take the tough minutes and just allow Juulsen to play PP and in the offensive zone, he's one of the main reasons that their defense is doing so well. They just aren't a talented offensive team. I'm definitely not a Habs fan, but Juulsen deserved to be on the Canadian WJC team, play a big role on that team, and despite mediocre stats, he's had a good season with Everett. Juulsen continues to be one of the more underrated prospects in hockey.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
watched the game between Flint and man I walked away impressed as hell with Dineen. I am so impressed with him not for his offensive prowess but his overall game is simply responsible and crisp. the kid pinches at all the right time, his in-zone stick work is excellent. he shields players off and into the boards so well, just a very solid player.

all this talk that this kid needs to work on his play away from the puck is lunacy as I haven't seen issues at all. yes he is a solid PMD in theory, but he can do it all out there and can play in all zones..kid was on the ice almost the whole damn game it seemed.

a reliable, smart, offensively skilled player like this does not last past #30 in most drafts especially considering this isn't a monster draft for dmen. he is second overall in the entire OHL for scoring from the point, and from what I consistently see away from the puck he can do it all.

How'd Wood look?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

sssssshhhh! Stop pumping his tires ;)

I want Cam with the Jets 2nd 1st round pick assuming it is 26-30 range. I would be thrilled if he fell to us at about 33-35 with our 2nd rounder. I sense he will rise by draft day though and go in the top 25.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
One of my favorite players to watch and follow this season. IMO, he should be in 1st round consideration. He is a very smart defender, using his stick and positioning to defend. Not a flashy defensive game, but very smart. Very crazy how he has developed through the year, towards being a top defender in all situations. Impressive vision and ability to move the puck up the ice and out of the zone, as well as on the PP. Picks his spots well to jump into the rush and pinch. Really nice shot, has a knack at getting the puck through. Has fairly good mobility, but could use some more acceleration.

-2nd in OHL defensemen scoring, only one point away from 1st
-Finalist for OHL Rookie of the year
-Finalist for OHL Defenseman of the year
-Named to the OHL's first Rookie Team

Here's a look at his game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I currently have him in the back end of my first round. He's underrated, very underrated. I won't complain though if he's available in the third round for the Rangers to pick because everyone else has forgotten about him to pick worse players that get more hype.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
NJD would be a good fit for him.

He could develop a few seasons and then replace Andy Greene.

Devils are well aware of him.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Would love for Winnipeg to select him. Jets are in dire need of lhd with skill.

Don't know if he's too much of a reach at 22, but they also have pick 36. Hoping for two defensemen with those picks.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Would love for Winnipeg to select him. Jets are in dire need of lhd with skill.

Don't know if he's too much of a reach at 22, but they also have pick 36. Hoping for two defensemen with those picks.

22 wouldn't be a reach at all. Hes been climbing up the rankings all year, and is finally being placed at the tail end of the first round in mocks and rankings.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
I currently have him in the back end of my first round. He's underrated, very underrated. I won't complain though if he's available in the third round for the Rangers to pick because everyone else has forgotten about him to pick worse players that get more hype.

Lol no way that's gonna happen. Should have kept your picks ;)

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
How does he compare to dermott from the people that watched him this year? Seem pretty similar

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Juulsen didn't even make his countries WJC roster.

He was a 1st round pick. I'm not sure he's lived up to the billing.

Hopefully Dineen can be better.

WJC has never, and should never be the barometer of a player's skill. There's certain politics involved for every team, and some coaches are very strict about defense pairings and what not. Plenty of successful 1st round picks were left off their team's WJC roster, especially on a deep team like Canada.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was hoping and praying he'd fall to the Kings' 2nd but I guess he's not much of a secret anymore eh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad