D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
That is a highlight reel? Kinda boring TBH.. some nice snipes at the WJC but the College stuff is dime a dozen. Expected more from what was supposed to be an offensive dynamo.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
That is a highlight reel? Kinda boring TBH.. some nice snipes at the WJC but the College stuff is dime a dozen. Expected more from what was supposed to be an offensive dynamo.
*Reads comment, looks at username, unsurprised*

It starts out slow, I'll grant you that. But if you can't appreciate the subtle nuances/hockey IQ demonstrated in many of the plays I don't know what to tell you. Remember this was a kid coming from the AJHL straight to a bad college hockey team in which he was the best player as a freshman. In an extremely limited role (unfortunately) and amongst his peers at the WJC, he shone in every circumstance. Avs fans are quite satisfied with Cale and expect a big year from him which ends in the NHL.

This is also only a snippet of his 'production' last year. I'm sure if there were more access to 'shift by shift' videos, it would allow you to see the potential you're blind to.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
My point wasn't the IQ or little nuances or saying he is bad, the point was there was nothing there in an 8 minute video.. Maybe 4-5 goals that made you go.. wow that was impressive.

Like why is an empty net goal or a standard pass anyone can make getting included.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Looking forward to Makar having a monster year culminating in a stint with Team Canada at the World Hockey Championship in May. I was hoping HC take him this past tournament, but didn't happen. one of my favs.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
My point wasn't the IQ or little nuances or saying he is bad, the point was there was nothing there in an 8 minute video.. Maybe 4-5 goals that made you go.. wow that was impressive.

Like why is an empty net goal or a standard pass anyone can make getting included.
Then dont watch it? The point of most prospect analysis videos is looking beyond their production on the scoreboard and looking at their atributes like IQ, skating, plays in all 3 zones, etc.

You clearly havent watched Makar enough to know that hes one of the more exciting blue line prospects to come along. He jumped from 2nd tier Jr. A to playing top minutes in every situation for a weak NCAA team. He had to drag his team through the mud on a lot of nights last season and he was excellent.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Then dont watch it? The point of most prospect analysis videos is looking beyond their production on the scoreboard and looking at their atributes like IQ, skating, plays in all 3 zones, etc.

You clearly havent watched Makar enough to know that hes one of the more exciting blue line prospects to come along. He jumped from 2nd tier Jr. A to playing top minutes in every situation for a weak NCAA team. He had to drag his team through the mud on a lot of nights last season and he was excellent.

Last I checked it said 17-18 Highlight Video.. not Play by Play Analysis.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I think that Makar can be a polarizing prospect to evaluate for many people. He played in an obscure junior league in the AJHL and he moved on to a lower profile NCAA team playing in the Northeastern US. Massachusetts has not been a power house NCAA team historically and in fact was quite bad in 2016-2017.

Based on where he has played and where he currently plays, I don't believe that many people have watched him play to the same extent as some other prospects. Like many fans, opinions are often shaped by statistical production at the lower levels, and Makar's NCAA statistics in his first season were not overwhelming, but nonetheless very respectable. Even at the WJCs, Makar came away with significant honors and recognition, but his ice time was curiously limited in some cases.

With all of it considered, you probably will have a continuing divergence of opinion about him as a prospect until he makes the leap to the NHL.

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
What? Someone watches a video, makes an opinion on said video, and your reply is "then don't watch it"...

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
Opinions are like buttholes, everybodys got one. But you dont need to share it with everybody, if its negative butthole/opinion. If its positive butthole/opinion then thats fine! :)
I hear what you are saying, but that wasn't the point I was making with cg98.

Makar is a solid prospect who I look forward to seeing what he can do in the NHL.:)

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
How can he form an opinion on something without watching it...?
Its clear he watched it lol. The video isnt made to please anyone, its supposed to display and analyze a prospects atributes and skill across all situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad