D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
U make barrie aound awful, the guy is a star, you seem to be badly underrating him.

Not really. Barrie is a star because there’s so few people in this sport who can dance like him in the open ice at any position. One of his first nicknames on HFavs was “the great escape” because of the way he could suck forecheckers in before dancing around them to break up the ice with #s.

But his shot has always been more opportunistic than deadly and his passing...especially when he’s standing still...has long been a critique of his game. He’s fine at passing the puck, and can make dangerous passes on the move, but Zadorov is the better pure passer.

That’s why tyson has been more deadly at ES than on the PP for so much of his career. When he’s in the offensive zone against defenders that are more cautious it takes away some of what makes him special...ditto his first season under Bednar when our coach tried to turn him into a stationary outlet passer rather than letting him do the things that make him special. But if you let him dance in the open ice, he’s truly elite.
Screenshot

Look at barries last 4 years, like come on.

The guy is a damn beauty, sure he is not the best defensively, but he is a downright star, This feels like new toy syndrome in Makar.

If Makar turns into a player as good as barrie, colorado should be over the moon, especially if he is better rounded.

Your focusing too much on the numbers when TV was talking about skill sets. Makar may not produce more than Tyson, but that doesn’t mean his shot & passing won’t be better.

Barrie is just that special when dancing around forecheckers in the open ice that he has produced elite 5on5 #s even without + passing and a + shot.
You know what, hard to argue with that.

But the problem I always had with Elliott was that his intensity level was so low. I haven't seen that with Makar - quite the opposite - but you make a very valid point.

That and Stef got scared of being crushed as a pro, whereas Tyson had that swagger with the puck since he first landed in Cleveland with our AHL team. That’s why I was on team Barrie when the stef v Tyson debates were raging on HFavs.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the NHL's Rookie of the Year for the 2019-20 season.

Dude is a treat to watch. He's the McDavid on D. He should have been on Canada's World Junior team 3 times. It would have been cool to see him paired with Thomas Chabot on the 2017 World Juniors. Maybe we'll get to see it at the World Championship this spring.

Last edited:

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Great progression. Cant wait to see him in the show. Who would be his best pairing currently on the Avs?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yup. Stick him with Cole for the first season. He's a really good veteran presence and yeah he can frustrate you sometimes with some of the plays he makes, but he's a steady guy on the back end and would really do well on a pairing with Makar just letting Cale do his thing. And with the other two pairings getting more and more familiar with each other this year and continuing to grow, it should create an opportunity for the Avs to really shelter Makar at first while he fully adjusts to the NHL speed of the game and figure out what he can and cant do.

Having one of Girard, Barrie, or Makar on the ice for the entire 60 minutes of a game would just be flat out unfair for other teams.

God I have never been more excited for the Avs future then I am right now.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
I wasn't very high on Makar during his draft year but he has really won me over. Central division will be ridiculous in a few years!

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Yeah i agree having one of barrie makar and girard on the ice at all times will be hard to deal with. Thing look good on the back end for tha Avs. What a difference 18 months makes for a franchise.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I can't think of anyone leaving the NCAA mid-season for non-Academic or lack of playing time reason since Okposo.

Think outside the box.

Barrie's biggest value is on the PP. If Makar could replace 75% of that, Nylander would make the Avs a lot more dangerous overall.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Think outside the box.

Barrie's biggest value is on the PP. If Makar could replace 75% of that, Nylander would make the Avs a lot more dangerous overall.
I don't think we'd trade Nylander for Barrie. Our issue is RHD shut-down guy, not a smaller puck-mover. But that's besides the point. Kid's generally don't leave college mid-season. They have a loyalty to their friends and teammates, and don't typically abandon them. Especially this early in the year.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Makar, Rantanen, and MacKinnon. Oh boy.
Plus a good chance at Hughes/Kakko... Damn what a ridiculous core, with great complimentary pieces.

I think the Hughes dream might not come to fruition TBH. The Sens are playing better than expected. That said, that pick is a golden asset. But I would really like the Avs to look into making a bold move (maybe moving that pick or something else) to add a "youngish" impact player as opposed to an 18 year old. Like, just as an example, say the Nylander stalemate lingers on and the Leafs are not being offered adequate players for him... would Dubas decide to keep the team as is and just deal Nylander to the Avs for the Sens 1st? This could be the ultimate wild card for a team like the Leafs who could potentially win the Cup and still end up with a top 5-10 pick in next year's draft. It also gives them a player on an entry deal that doesn't need to be paid for a while.

The Avs get a young kid in Nylander who is already a budding star that could step in immediately and make an impact. That would turn the Duchene deal into Nylander, Girard, + which is insane.

Could you imagine a core of MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Nylander, Jost, Barrie, Makar, Girard, Timmins? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad