GDT: D @ C, 4:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Yawn. Depres reminds me of Bryan Allen lately.

I have a Bryan Allen t-shirt. I was at a playoff game and it was the only one on sale. I think it was $5 or $10 compared to $25. Even Etem's shirt was $25.

There was a whole rack if them. So I made a pity purchase. I think I've only worn it once. If Despres shirt gets marked down we really have to worry.

John

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Its not just Perron, missing Vatanen has been really bad for our d-pairs. Our puck movement transitioning out of the d-zone is terrible lately and we're really missing his passing and agility through the neutral zone.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I only watched the highlights

Holy crap those goals against gibby were not good ones. A couple bad plays defensively but SO many "bad" goals imo.

Goal #1 was just ridiculous.
Goal #2 embodies everything about what I've been saying about gibsons lack of mobility. The Montreal dude half-fanned on the shot, it was on the ice, and it went in center of the net because gibby has absolutely no mobility side to side.
Goal #3 was not his fault, awful d.
Goal #4 I thought he played terribly, on the replay you could see how ridiculously open his 5-hole was, he should've been hugging the post and making sure his pads covered the 5-hole, I donno what kinda technique he was using there.

The entire condensed highlights aren't out yet so I can't make any judgements on how the d-played but just reading through this thread it seems like bieksa was once again bieksuck.

4 goals on 23 shots. yikes

I can't decide if they think he's that good, that Andersen is that shaky, if they don't trust either to stay healthy and so want to keep both sharp, or if they're trying to get enough game action to determine if they can justify keeping him over Andersen this summer.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
How can I be wrong on both counts. Why would you want your team to lose when trying to win the division or at very least home ice in round 1? You really think losing like this will make this team learn a lot? Crazy

If they don't show up against Montreal's farm team, then they aren't really hungry for points the way you want them to be. Why should I want them to be rewarded with wins in an effort like that? They have pride, they need to learn from losses, what's crazy is you implying that there is nothing to be learned from a loss like this.

Like I said, I'm glad that they got the result that they earned, it should help them get refocused and give a better effort in the rest of this roadie. If they had lost the Winnipeg game as they probably should have, I'd bet that we would've seen a better effort in this one.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I can't decide if they think he's that good, that Andersen is that shaky, if they don't trust either to stay healthy and so want to keep both sharp, or if they're trying to get enough game action to determine if they can justify keeping him over Andersen this summer.

If I had to make a decision right now, based off their play and not potential, I go with Andersen easily. Gibson has not looked good enough to earn a full time starting position.

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
If I had to make a decision right now, based off their play and not potential, I go with Andersen easily. Gibson has not looked good enough to earn a full time starting position.

Andersen deserves the starting role for the remainder of the season and playoffs if he keeps his current form up. However, I really hope ducks hang onto Gibson for the future because he's only 22 with all of the potential. He's still learning and has progressed every year so far. This reminds me of the Price/Halak situation. Ducks should keep Gibson long term. Would be foolish not too.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Andersen deserves the starting role for the remainder of the season and playoffs if he keeps his current form up. However, I really hope ducks hang onto Gibson for the future because he's only 22 with all of the potential. He's still learning and has progressed every year so far. This reminds me of the Price/Halak situation. Ducks should keep Gibson long term. Would be foolish not too.

i dunno about this one..? cause didn't price always show more even with his boat load of potential? halak only had that 1 deep ridiculous playoff run.

this one freddy has already shown more, imo if freddy could keep out the softies hes actually got just as high a potential as gibson.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
i dunno about this one..? cause didn't price always show more even with his boat load of potential? halak only had that 1 deep ridiculous playoff run.

this one freddy has already shown more, imo if freddy could keep out the softies hes actually got just as high a potential as gibson.

nope

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Hebert's interviews with Roloson, Gibson and Andersen provided some insight about both goalies I thought was interesting. Andersen is more of a positional goalie with very good technique, and Gibson relies more on his athleticism and on reading plays. And it seems like Gibson is more mentally confident than Andersen is and Roloson has been working with Andersen on that side of his game.

Right now, I don't know if either are true #1 goalies, and it seems like the Ducks management haven't made that decision yet. It kind of worries me that the Ducks are so close to the playoffs, and both goalies have some weaknesses that might not give the Ducks the level of goaltending they will need for the playoffs. Maybe the Ducks need to go back to their trap defense.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

It has to be Andersen at this point, Gibson's rebound control was brutal in this game. Those blocker saves to the middle of the ice are ridiculous.

How did Pirri look tonight?

Pirri played? :sarcasm:

He won't be in the lineup come playoffs, thats for sure.

Who is playing over him?

I thought Pirri was pretty good, he's more physical then advertised, and went to the front of the net allowing Getzlaf and Perry to handle the puck. I think McGinn would look better on that line though as that is more of his style and Rakell's style is more of Pirri's.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
gibson hasn't been bad but i have a feeling BB will end up going with freddy for the playoffs

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
gibson hasn't been bad but i have a feeling BB will end up going with freddy for the playoffs

Gibson hasn't been bad, but Freddy has been quite a bit better for a while now. Freddy has had a SV% of .937 since Christmas and Gibby was at .917 in the same span going into the Jets game.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Freddy has the risk to give up a weak goal but despite this for me he is the better goalie. Gibson right now is a quality backup. He has the potential to be a top goalie in this league but so has Andersen. Gibson may end up better but the key word here is "may".

We're in a stupid position right now. One more year of Freddy would be awesome for this situation. I fear if we move on to Gibson as our #1 we get in big trouble next year. I also think Freddys numbers are outstanding regarding our start into the season.

And for the playoff run, weaker goalies have won the Cup. Much more important will be how good our defense will be. We are in a good position if Freddy keeps up his play from late. We can also switch to Gibby but imho he has to imporve, especially his lateral movement.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
One of the Latvians in the European Parliament/former Latvian Minister of Defence tweeted a photo from yesterdays game, dayummmm

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It has to be Andersen at this point, Gibson's rebound control was brutal in this game. Those blocker saves to the middle of the ice are ridiculous.

Who is playing over him?

I thought Pirri was pretty good, he's more physical then advertised, and went to the front of the net allowing Getzlaf and Perry to handle the puck. I think McGinn would look better on that line though as that is more of his style and Rakell's style is more of Pirri's.

Regarding Pirri, I agree. He spent a lot of time at the net. Not sure why so many people have climbed so far up his ass already.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Ritchie needs to take a page out of Silfverberg's book regarding scoring

(on whether he’s doing anything differently during his scoring binge …)

“I think I’m getting better scoring chances right now. I move more out there, I skate more. I’m playing with higher speed and if that happens, the puck comes to you. I think that’s a big part of it too.”

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If they don't show up against Montreal's farm team, then they aren't really hungry for points the way you want them to be. Why should I want them to be rewarded with wins in an effort like that? They have pride, they need to learn from losses, what's crazy is you implying that there is nothing to be learned from a loss like this.

Like I said, I'm glad that they got the result that they earned, it should help them get refocused and give a better effort in the rest of this roadie. If they had lost the Winnipeg game as they probably should have, I'd bet that we would've seen a better effort in this one.

You should want your team to win regardless especially when trying to win the division or at the very least get home ice in 1 round. You shouldn't be happy about your team losing in meaningful games.

Can they learn something from a loss like this sure they can but will they really learn much from it? I doubt it. This team has trouble learning things. How many times have we not got 100% effort against crappy teams over the last few years? Losing like this is most likely not going to do much of anything but hurt the team in the standings. Sure if we lost against the Jets we might of been better in this game or maybe we wouldn't of. I would rather have a win and just hope they are better next game then have a loss and hope they are better next game.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I think the problem is the team is seemingly fatigue, why wouldn't they be. We usually have a terrible slump in February. But this year we couldn't as we were climbing back. The team defense needed when we weren't scoring goals is not present because we are scoring goals. Forwards no longer see a reason to help 100% of the time. Adding in injury and it would seem were having our slump in late March vs February.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Yeah, I noticed Pirri getting some hits on and circling around the net. So a circling net Sekac.

I'd like that speed and aggressiveness on the fourth line. Can we get Ritchie go down to the AHL already? Let him regain that scoring touch again and bring up a grinder to grind on the fourth line. Unless we have a roster transaction limitation. But Ritchie just doesn't fit on the fourth line like Maroon did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad