Speculation: D Ben Hutton Possible Landing Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
The kings have alot of young defenseman on the cusp of playing. (clague brickly, micky anderseron etc ) No one really knows what they have at the moment which is why i would love Hutton to sign.

Forbort isn't that bad of a defenseman/ In his case i think its more over useage then suckage. If he was playing 2nd pair with martinez he would be fine. Our coaching staff has been playing him top pairing which he really has no business playing.

Hutton can actually handle heavy minutes decently with a good partner. He’s more of a 4/5 but I wouldn’t be shocked if he’d make a better partner for Doughty than the rest of LA’s left D.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Hutton can actually handle heavy minutes decently with a good partner. He’s more of a 4/5 but I wouldn’t be shocked if he’d make a better partner for Doughty than the rest of LA’s left D.
I would be open to anyone playing with Drew other then Forbort. However I think we will end up with one of the following kids playing there by the end of the year. I think Brickly will end up starting there and mid season he will be replaced by Clague I could see Hutton playing with Alec Martinez which pushes Forbort down to 3 pairing which would keep him fresh for top penalty killing mins.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
I would be open to anyone playing with Drew other then Forbort. However I think we will end up with one of the following kids playing there by the end of the year. I think Brickly will end up starting there and mid season he will be replaced by Clague I could see Hutton playing with Alec Martinez which pushes Forbort down to 3 pairing which would keep him fresh for top penalty killing mins.

Does Martinez play the right side? I don’t think Hutton would be great on the right.

He

Jul 2, 2015
Winnipeg
He solidified himself as a top 4 minute munching D last year, over the past two years when Edler and Tanev both inevitably got hurt, it was he who stepped up and played the tough minutes. His offensive game hasn't come through in the way I had hoped, but he can rush the puck well and make some plays. He can also make some big hits when he wants to.

The Canucks defensive systems are such trash and our defensive scoring is so horrendous I really wouldn't be stunned if he went and put up 30 points somewhere else in year one

Solidified himself as a top 4 D??? Lol, not a chance. He was playing top 4 minutes in Vancouver, but he definitely was not a top 4 D performance wise.

I wouldn't say he rushes the puck up the ice that well either. He's not exactly a graceful or fast skater, and once he hits the opposing blue line he has no idea what to do. Can't say I remember any times where Hutton rushing up the ice created a scoring chance (unless we are counting the opposing team too haha)

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
There's a bunch of teams I can see having an interest in Hutton:

Winnipeg
Columbus
Ottawa* (rather save $$)
Minnesota**
Los Angeles**
Detroit* (logjam on D)
Montreal* (logjam on D)
Carolina
Edmonton* (F more a priority)
Florida* (money is tight)
Nashville
NYR* (have to move salary first)

*possible but not likely
**likely chasing Gardiner instead

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Have the Kings made any sort of a significant move at all this off-season? Signing? Trade?

I genuinely cannot remember

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
His arbitration ruling was estimated/rumoured to be around 4 million. You want him to take a quarter of that? He most likely will want around 2.5 if it gets close to the season, I can't see him going lower.

He will have to if he expects any team to sign him. No one will pay top dollar for Ben Hutton even if I do think he's a decent defenseman on another team.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Have the Kings made any sort of a significant move at all this off-season? Signing? Trade?

No the kings biggest off season move so far is probably getting Prohorkins to come to north america from the khl. After that maybe the signing of Joakim Ryan on d.
Oh and getting rid of Wd and Dion is a plus by subtraction

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
There's a bunch of teams I can see having an interest in Hutton:

Winnipeg
Columbus
Ottawa* (rather save $$)
Minnesota**
Los Angeles**
Detroit
Montreal* (logjam on D)
Carolina
Edmonton* (F more a priority)
Florida* (money is tight)
Nashville
NYR* (have to move salary first)

*possible but not likely
**likely chasing Gardiner instead

I don't see the kings chasing Gardiner at all. Doesn't fit the time schedule for retool also Kings have alot of defense coming. Only way he goes there is for a cheap deal and promise that he will be flipped to a contender at deadline.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Rangers? We don’t have the space on our defense or the cap room unless it’s a cheap 1 year

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Fox
Lindgren

Staal has a spot 100% locked down and I wouldn’t want Hutton over Hajek or Fox

I gotta say that looks like a good d core on paper.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't really see a need/ fit for Detroit - he is a capable enough guy in the right role but Detroit has about 5 of those D already (#~4/5/6/7 D who are playing above their heads)

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Khan already said that Green is healthy and will be at training camp, Maybe one of either Daley or Ericsson might be heading to LTIR. Don't know.

For sure, I've seen a couple training videos on Instagram and he looks healthy. I wouldn't be surprised by Daley or Ericsson being injured but I'd prefer to play Cholowski, Bowey, or Kaski before adding Hutton. Hell, I'd play McIlrath or Hicketts before signing Hutton.

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
He was good last year. Sometimes great. He would've scored more on a better team.

Wasn't he benched at times last year? Doesn't sound that good to me.
He is a liability on defence, and didn't make up for that offensively.
His corsi % is pretty low too, if you believe in that sort of stuff.

''Hutton has made some big, noticeable mistakes on defence that have led to dangerous chances and goals against''
- Vancouver Courier

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
For sure, I've seen a couple training videos on Instagram and he looks healthy. I wouldn't be surprised by Daley or Ericsson being injured but I'd prefer to play Cholowski, Bowey, or Kaski before adding Hutton. Hell, I'd play McIlrath or Hicketts before signing Hutton.
Totally agree with you, I'd rather add one of Cholowski, Bowey or Kaski over Hutton as well. And McIlrath or Hicketts for that matter as well.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Huh?

The LA D group is awful after Doughty & Martinez. Hutton would be a nice add for the Kings to help the D group not being a complete tire fire and he could be dealt for assets later on to help with the rebuild.

The thing with the Kings is that they already have 15 d-men under contract, and another two signed to AHL deals. Not that most of the 15-17 are good, and anyone with any actual potential will likely be spending as much time as possible in Ontario, while the tire fire burns out at the NHL level. They already have a bunch of probable throwaway 24-26 year olds that they've invested a few years into for their "development", so let them get some NHL ice time, and see if there's anything there. Considering everything else the Kings have done this summer, I don't know why Hutton's name is linked to them. Doesn't make much sense.

No, because nobody needs old guys with term, and it also seems like management is done investing in the current roster. They gave it one last shot with Kovalchuk, that experiment failed, and now it's just killing time until contracts end.

Reactions: Guitpik

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
-75 in 4 season in the NHL? I know it was Vancouver but jesus h christ.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's not bad actually, it shows a -23 this year, but that's because he was tasked to play with giveaway turnover machine Gudbranson last year. Someone posted a chart of "with Gudbranson and without Gudbranson it's shocking how much better every player was without Gudbranson on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad