Speculation: D Ben Hutton Possible Landing Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Rangers? We don’t have the space on our defense or the cap room unless it’s a cheap 1 year

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Fox
Lindgren

Staal has a spot 100% locked down and I wouldn’t want Hutton over Hajek or Fox

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers? We don’t have the space on our defense or the cap room unless it’s a cheap 1 year

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Fox
Lindgren

Hutton would be in case Hajek or Fox aren't ready. As long as his cap hit is 1.075 mil or less, he can be buried without penalty, though lower would be better in case we actually need him on the roster.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
He solidified himself as a top 4 minute munching D last year, over the past two years when Edler and Tanev both inevitably got hurt, it was he who stepped up and played the tough minutes. His offensive game hasn't come through in the way I had hoped, but he can rush the puck well and make some plays. He can also make some big hits when he wants to.

The Canucks defensive systems are such trash and our defensive scoring is so horrendous I really wouldn't be stunned if he went and put up 30 points somewhere else in year one

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Hutton would be in case Hajek or Fox aren't ready. As long as his cap hit is 1.075 mil or less, he can be buried without penalty, though lower would be better in case we actually need him on the roster.
He's 26 and made nearly triple that last season. He didn't exactly fall off the map where he should be looking to take such a big drop on a 1 year deal. I can't buy us being in unless we have some trade in the works.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
His arbitration ruling was estimated/rumoured to be around 4 million. You want him to take a quarter of that? He most likely will want around 2.5 if it gets close to the season, I can't see him going lower.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His arbitration ruling was estimated/rumoured to be around 4 million. You want him to take a quarter of that? He most likely will want around 2.5 if it gets close to the season, I can't see him going lower.
Rick dhaliwal in Vancouver, who is connected to agents (always pushing their agendas) estimated that Hutton based on his ice time was likely to end up close to $4 mill. Main reason the Canucks did not QO him.

Just goes to show that high usage on a bad team doesn’t equate to a big contract in free agency.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

If that's the case, then I doubt the Rangers' interest will last long.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Hutton really isn't that good - he's had a ton of chances and can probably suffice as a bottom pair D but never really improved to what the expectations were.

He was in over his head with a bad Van d core (corps?) which ballooned his minutes up but just playing 20 mins a game doesn't make you a top 4 dman.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Don't see why Detroit would be interested unless someone (Green, Daley, Ericsson) is headed to LTIR or being traded and they don't think Cholowski, Kaski, or Bowey are ready.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Lets not kid ourselves... he's a 26 year old, third pair D who once had 6 points in in 61 games in 17-18. I don't think teams are lining up for Ben Hutton, especially not this deep into the summer.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He solidified himself as a top 4 minute munching D last year, over the past two years when Edler and Tanev both inevitably got hurt, it was he who stepped up and played the tough minutes. His offensive game hasn't come through in the way I had hoped, but he can rush the puck well and make some plays. He can also make some big hits when he wants to.

The Canucks defensive systems are such trash and our defensive scoring is so horrendous I really wouldn't be stunned if he went and put up 30 points somewhere else in year one

I feel the same way. He played a lot of tough minutes, 3rd hardest behind Tanev and Edler. His defensive game is very strong, and you can see flashes of the offense but to me, league wide he's a solid #4 on a lot of teams in the league. Good player who needs a fresh start.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Fox
Lindgren

What if your bottom 6 doesn’t work out? What do you do next. Not a good idea to just give players a job. Let them earn it.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I would love to see him in la but I think he would have more opportunity with the red wings then in la . However I would love to be wrong we could use him for sure

Huh?

The LA D group is awful after Doughty & Martinez. Hutton would be a nice add for the Kings to help the D group not being a complete tire fire and he could be dealt for assets later on to help with the rebuild.

Reactions: greasysnapper

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Hutton really isn't that good - he's had a ton of chances and can probably suffice as a bottom pair D but never really improved to what the expectations were.

He was in over his head with a bad Van d core (corps?) which ballooned his minutes up but just playing 20 mins a game doesn't make you a top 4 dman.
Agreed.
And the fact that a supposed tip 4 rd is just sitting out there tells you something as well.
He will get a pto somewhere and likely sign for 1 year at close to league minimum

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Huh?

The LA D group is awful after Doughty & Martinez. Hutton would be a nice add for the Kings to help the D group not being a complete tire fire and he could be dealt for assets later on to help with the rebuild.

The kings have alot of young defenseman on the cusp of playing. (clague brickly, micky anderseron etc ) No one really knows what they have at the moment which is why i would love Hutton to sign.

Forbort isn't that bad of a defenseman/ In his case i think its more over useage then suckage. If he was playing 2nd pair with martinez he would be fine. Our coaching staff has been playing him top pairing which he really has no business playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad