WJC: Czech U20 team

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I was about to make yet another joke about Galvas playing well, but not producing enough to be a high round pick, but that's beating a dead horse by now.

No idea how the coaches watched him play and decided he's not good enough to be in right from the start. He has been arguably the best defenseman since put into the line-up.
My theory is it was his handedness.. if he was a righty, he'd be playing on day 1 but we are deep on the left side.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
My theory is it was his handedness.. if he was a righty, he'd be playing on day 1 but we are deep on the left side.
That doesn't explain how Koci made it over him though, another lefty. I am not complaining, because I didn't expect him to be so good already at this level, just that the coaches have far better idea about the players and having watched Galvas and Koci today, I don't see how you could come to conclusion the latter is better.

Anyways, next year's D group shaping pretty good with Dvorak (hopefully), Jiricek and Galvas as the core players.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
That doesn't explain how Koci made it over him though, another lefty. I am not complaining, because I didn't expect him to be so good already at this level, just that the coaches have far better idea about the players and having watched Galvas and Koci today, I don't see how you could come to conclusion the latter is better.

Anyways, next year's D group shaping pretty good with Dvorak (hopefully), Jiricek and Galvas as the core players.
Next years team is our best chance in awhile IMO. Pre injury and coaches decision our D is stacked.

Badinka, Dvorak, Galvas, Jiricek, Svozil, Fibigr, Cibulka

Sale will have some good forwards around him - Benak, Curran, Jecho all come to mind.

Hrabal as a 19 year old with 18 year old Milota backing him up

Looks promising a year out.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
So we play Canada.
What are our chances?

Honestly I think if we win it’s because of Hrabal and if we lose it’s because of Hrabal.. lol. A lot of pressure.

After Slovak game, we’ve gotten better every match. Seems to be good chemistry now among forwards and the power play looks very good.
The defence has really stabilized as well which I didn’t expect.

Canada is the favourite but it can’t be by too much after round robin play.

I really believe in the coaching staff to have a good plan in place as well. Should be a fun one!

Češi do toho!!!

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
The team has improved a lot after the game vs. Slovakia. I was a complete pessimist after the opening game but the next 3 were looking pretty good, although it is hard to evaluate today's game vs. Switzerland, where not much was in play. It will be a very difficult game vs. Canada, the coaches need to come with a good plan. It will be a lot about the goaltending on both sides of course, just like it always is the the playoffs. The Czech team also desperately needs to avoid taking needless penalties. Canada's powerplays are always lethal, especially in the playoff games. As long as it is 5/5, it will be doable.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
The team has improved a lot after the game vs. Slovakia. I was a complete pessimist after the opening game but the next 3 were looking pretty good, although it is hard to evaluate today's game vs. Switzerland, where not much was in play. It will be a very difficult game vs. Canada, the coaches need to come with a good plan. It will be a lot about the goaltending on both sides of course, just like it always is the the playoffs. The Czech team also desperately needs to avoid taking needless penalties. Canada's powerplays are always lethal, especially in the playoff games. As long as it is 5/5, it will be doable.
Agreed. We have been quite disciplined since the 1st game. Canada hasn’t been however. I like our PP and if it can keep it up I think we have a good chance.

Our penalty kill has also improved a lot!

Reactions: Goodman68

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Sapousek is out for quarters.
It was kind of predictable outcome. He wasn't looking good at all as he was leaving the ice straight for the locker room. He was pointing at his shoulder, perhaps the clavicle. Obviously it sucks, he was good in defensive work, blocked a lot of shots, added a decent offensive impact too. But I have quite a hope Maštalířský can replace him. He is an equally hard working forward with a decent hockey IQ. Not any wizard with his stick but quite a good skater, plus he is good in offensive positioning, often skating just in the right direction or stopping just in the right spot to receive a pass and take a shot. I have quite a trust in him.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
It was kind of predictable outcome. He wasn't looking good at all as he was leaving the ice straight for the locker room. He was pointing at his shoulder, perhaps the clavicle. Obviously it sucks, he was good in defensive work, blocked a lot of shots, added a decent offensive impact too. But I have quite a hope Maštalířský can replace him. He is an equally hard working forward with a decent hockey IQ. Not any wizard with his stick but quite a good skater, plus he is good in offensive positioning, often skating just in the right direction or stopping just in the right spot to receive a pass and take a shoot. I have quite a trust in him.
Good to know! Hope it’s him as an exact replacement and not Hujer!! He’s a plug!

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Good to know! Hope it’s him as an exact replacement and not Hujer!! He’s a plug!
I was thinking it'd be Zidlicky... not what I want but I could see it happening. I'm not sure if Metalarky is elibible to be honest. I thought our roster was full? I could be very wrong on this though. I'd pick Metalarsky simply because he plays on the big ice... I was hoping for minimal shuffling of the lineups.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I was thinking it'd be Zidlicky... not what I want but I could see it happening. I'm not sure if Metalarky is elibible to be honest. I thought our roster was full? I could be very wrong on this though. I'd pick Metalarsky simply because he plays on the big ice... I was hoping for minimal shuffling of the lineups.
Maštalířský will be added to the roster, it is official. The rules of the tournament allow to replace injured players with players from the long list every team had to submit before the event. It was the case with Jiříček's injury already.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Maštalířský will be added to the roster, it is official. The rules of the tournament allow to replace injured players with players from the long list every team had to submit before the event. It was the case with Jiříček's injury already.
Dekuju!

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
1704066226740.png

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm still quite happy with everything but drawing Canada. I do think they can win the quarter and think the game is quite even.

6 players at a .ppg or more is great. Hamara has been full value. The big 3 forwards have delivered. Becher and Melosvksy have snuck in some points too! Prcik has been better than expected. Galvas has been great. Alscher, despite no points, has been what I would've wanted from Dvorak (who is going to the CHL).

NO real disapointments and if I had any.. they are small. Eg. I'm not sure what Redlich does. Or Pribyl. I thought Zidlicky would be more of a noticeable pest but haven't seen him. Cibulka should have more points. Hrabal needs to be more consistent.

I feel Kulich has more in him for the quarter and that he is the best shooter in the game. I feel Gajan is the better goalie.

I have more optimisim then I did going into the gold medal game. It's also on big ice and Canada, in the last decade, has not been as good on big ice as NA ice.

Canada is the big fav for sure but I feel like we have a punchers chance.

The Sapousek injury sucks because he's a C. Eg. Stancl looks ready for the Top 6 and has improved with every game. But we need a C. I'd still move up Stancl and put Metalarsky in bottom 6.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
1704066692569.png

Ok, scratch that.lol

Stancl and Sapousek play the same spot. Move him up. Sucks as I love that third line. 2 guys well over a .ppg in WHL and the drafted Stancl. Put Metalarsky on 3LW. Hope Cech is okay.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Looks like rrdlich to line 2. Did not see that coming. Metalarsky to line 4. Coaches said they didn't want to mess with lines too much.

My dark horse for the game is still stancl. He's been getting better each game and I love that third line.

Looks like rrdlich to line 2. Did not see that coming. Metalarsky to line 4. Coaches said they didn't want to mess with lines too much.

My dark horse for the game is still stancl. He's been getting better each game and I love that third line.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Redlich has been not very visible but not bad either. He is quite good in positioning, not so good with the puck. Might replace Sapoušek well in the defensive part of the game, I am not sure about the offensive part.

Reactions: Czechboy

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

Very odd decision… of course things can change during the game if they aren’t working.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Very odd decision… of course things can change during the game if they aren’t working.
I get what they are going for... Keeps lines 1 and 3 in tact. Poor sale though lol went from Kulich/sapo to sapousek/melovsky to melovsky/redlich.

I do expect a short bench and heavy minutes for our bigger players.

I really liked prcik as a call up and do look forward to seeing matilarsky.

Drove past Ottawa today on way to Quebec. Next year I'm hoping to see Czechs play on NYE and then have a much shorter drive to Quebec on New year's day.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I get what they are going for... Keeps lines 1 and 3 in tact. Poor sale though lol went from Kulich/sapo to sapousek/melovsky to melovsky/redlich.

I do expect a short bench and heavy minutes for our bigger players.

I really liked prcik as a call up and do look forward to seeing matilarsky.

Drove past Ottawa today on way to Quebec. Next year I'm hoping to see Czechs play on NYE and then have a much shorter drive to Quebec on New year's day.
Let me know! I’ll join ya!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad