WJC: Czech U20 team

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
I feel like we are well setup for a few years tbh. Some good goalies that should be drafted. Some good D that should be drafted. Some good F's too.

We've had a goalie drafted every year since 2010 (except 2016) and that streak feels safe. We've also had a few years in a row with first rounders and that seemed likely before the tournament began. Not sure if Jiricek's injury will make him drop in the rankings.

Things aren't great but they are improving for sure!

2 Semi's in a row at U20 and a silver at Hlinka... lots of good players around.

Now just fix that f***en Czech junior league so they all don't leave by 17!
I think the injury wont cost Jiricek 1st round, he was pretty much a lock in basically every prediction. He may drop a couple, but will still be there.

But yeah it actually looks like a bit brighter days are ahead of us. We can possibly go with 5 drafts (maybe even 6, 27draft is Kachlir and Byrtus if I am not mistaken) in a row with a first rounder, and that would be something lol.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Bit off topic. Czech U17 trashed Finns 6-1 today. I really like this 25,26 draft group.

So many interesting guys in there: Benak, Novotny (although now both with U18 ,but still in this group), Cerny, Zahejsky, Cihar, Mikel, Frolo, Pavlik, Poletin, Pekar and so on. We may be in for a treat in the next few drafts lol, But rather not praise it too hard, so I wont jinx it lol.
And, to your point,

Right now

Czech U18 up 5-4 against Swiss
Czech U17 beat Finland 6-1
Czech U16 beat Swiss 9-1
Czech U20 beat Norway 9-1

It's a small snapshot and not definitive but that is a lot of goals scored by Czech Juniors today... 29 goals in 4 games.

Obviously we didn't do this against Canada/US/Sweden but it does show we have some offence.

Two of our teams beat German teams yesterday by putting up 7 goals each too.

On the other hand... Slovakia demolished us yesterday and our next game is against the USA.

I'll enjoy the moment.haha

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think the injury wont cost Jiricek 1st round, he was pretty much a lock in basically every prediction. He may drop a couple, but will still be there.

But yeah it actually looks like a bit brighter days are ahead of us. We can possibly go with 5 drafts (maybe even 6, 27draft is Kachlir and Byrtus if I am not mistaken) in a row with a first rounder, and that would be something lol.
It would.. especially when you consider that several are Dmen!

Plus some very good goalies in the mix and 7 playing in the NHL... Patera, Dostal and Hrabal are all young and promising.

Of course, I felt this way about Kaut (3rd line at Spengler Cup.lol), Zboril (on a bus), Hajek (2nd pair at Spengler Cup) and Zadina (been heating up a bit in SJ but not enough) and Vrana (no idea!). I was also very high on Masin, Musil, Gavlas and Kral.lol

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
It would.. especially when you consider that several are Dmen!

Plus some very good goalies in the mix and 7 playing in the NHL... Patera, Dostal and Hrabal are all young and promising.

Of course, I felt this way about Kaut (3rd line at Spengler Cup.lol), Zboril (on a bus), Hajek (2nd pair at Spengler Cup) and Zadina (been heating up a bit in SJ but not enough) and Vrana (no idea!). I was also very high on Masin, Musil, Gavlas and Kral.lol
Lets hope this generation is not cursed lol. But also I think that that pool of potentional interesting prospects is much bigger this time.

Reactions: Goodman68

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Decent rebound game result-wise, but I really don't like the way this team plays. Do they even have any system in place? Aside from feeding Kulich at the PP all the time, which won't work against legit contenders (well it just might thanks to Kulich's ridiculous release, but more creativy and variety in plays would be very much welcome)
5 on 5 it feels so disorganized and the PK is a joke lol.
Hrabal doesn't inspire much confidence either, which is unfortunate, because he is a terrific prospect capable of taking over a game. At least Kulich and Sale got the goals, could get them going.

In what has been a rather shallow play so far, I have liked Melovsky. IMO he is the best of the undrafted CHL guys (Melovsky, Rymon, Becher + the rest.) I don't know how likely is he to get drafted as an overager, but I would be surprised if he doesn't get NHL interest (he did attend some NHL camps already after all.) Also, Zidlicky has looked pretty good on the 4th line, almost shockingly good even though it was 'only' against Norway.

And, to your point,

Right now

Czech U18 up 5-4 against Swiss
Czech U17 beat Finland 6-1
Czech U16 beat Swiss 9-1
Czech U20 beat Norway 9-1

It's a small snapshot and not definitive but that is a lot of goals scored by Czech Juniors today... 29 goals in 4 games.

Obviously we didn't do this against Canada/US/Sweden but it does show we have some offence.

Two of our teams beat German teams yesterday by putting up 7 goals each too.

On the other hand... Slovakia demolished us yesterday and our next game is against the USA.

I'll enjoy the moment.haha
Sure does feel good to put up some goals doesn't it? Usually these December U18/U17 games are slug fests, where Czechs try to win 2:1 games. But the 06/07 generations do look indeed good. Don't want to jinx it, but come U20 time, a squad made of these two generations could be medal contender. No idea about the 2008's just yet, although the underage Kachlir has looked very, very promising...

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1703724851283.png

I will enjoy this top 10 for the moment!

Reactions: czechcanadian

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Okay kids are in bed lol.

My main takeaways from today’s game.

1. Augusta looked very engaged with the players. Lots of communication and fist pumps (opposite from what posters mentioned against Slovaks).
Also, really liked the decision to put Šale on the 2nd line. Clearly worked wonders.

2. Kulich really put the team on his back today. Clearly a great leader and he just looks so comfortable out there. Man can he really rip that puck… if he doesn’t stick in NHL then I don’t know..

3. Becher, Melovsky, and Bareš are great players. Relative unknowns but have been impactful thus far. Good speed and hockey sense.

4. Galvas. I like what I saw. Like Czechboy mentioned, he had a quiet game. This is great for a 17 year old. But he also showed some flashes of skill and overall ability at both ends of the ice.

5. Cech and Prčik scare me. Don’t know what it is but they remind me of some past Czech undrafted 19 yo defenders. Ie,( Nemeček, Šulak)Not super fast and take poor penalties. I can see them being a liability against USA and others. We shall see although Prčik wasn’t that bad today.

6. Sapoušek sucks. Get him off the 2nd line asap. Literally put anyone else there.

7. 4th line was killing it! I really like how balanced the forward group is starting to look. It’s slowly looking similar to last year.
Zidlicky deserves a lot of credit. Was flying out there.

8. Our PP outside of Kulich is just okay so far. Fairly one dimensional at times today but it did look really good early against Slovakia. Im not too worried. They will have to be spectacular against USA.

9. Like others have said, structure has seemed to be lacking. Our breakouts of our zone are generally bad. I’m not sure if that comes down to lack of chemistry or coaching but it definitely needs to improve big time.

10. Hamara. Never been a big fan of his (even though I’m a Sens fan). But he really impressed me today. Specifically his intelligence in D-zone. Kid has a wicked wrist shot from the point too.

11. Lastly, Alscher. Nice comeback game from him after a poor overall showing against Slovaks. Used his size really well and skates good for a big man. His decision making in D-zone was also good.

Overall, today was a good confidence boost for the boys. Hopefully they gained some good chemistry to help them with next game.
Just need to be confidant and play hard with no silly penalties and we have a chance to make it interesting.
Still think USA wins. They’ll likely pull away in the 2nd or 3rd period but I hope to be wrong. Maybe Hrabal is saving his best play for last.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Okay kids are in bed lol.

My main takeaways from today’s game.

1. Augusta looked very engaged with the players. Lots of communication and fist pumps (opposite from what posters mentioned against Slovaks).
Also, really liked the decision to put Šale on the 2nd line. Clearly worked wonders.

2. Kulich really put the team on his back today. Clearly a great leader and he just looks so comfortable out there. Man can he really rip that puck… if he doesn’t stick in NHL then I don’t know..

3. Becher, Melovsky, and Bareš are great players. Relative unknowns but have been impactful thus far. Good speed and hockey sense.

4. Galvas. I like what I saw. Like Czechboy mentioned, he had a quiet game. This is great for a 17 year old. But he also showed some flashes of skill and overall ability at both ends of the ice.

5. Cech and Prčik scare me. Don’t know what it is but they remind me of some past Czech undrafted 19 yo defenders. Ie,( Nemeček, Šulak)Not super fast and take poor penalties. I can see them being a liability against USA and others. We shall see although Prčik wasn’t that bad today.

6. Sapoušek sucks. Get him off the 2nd line asap. Literally put anyone else there.

7. 4th line was killing it! I really like how balanced the forward group is starting to look. It’s slowly looking similar to last year.
Zidlicky deserves a lot of credit. Was flying out there.

8. Our PP outside of Kulich is just okay so far. Fairly one dimensional at times today but it did look really good early against Slovakia. Im not too worried. They will have to be spectacular against USA.

9. Like others have said, structure has seemed to be lacking. Our breakouts of our zone are generally bad. I’m not sure if that comes down to lack of chemistry or coaching but it definitely needs to improve big time.

10. Hamara. Never been a big fan of his (even though I’m a Sens fan). But he really impressed me today. Specifically his intelligence in D-zone. Kid has a wicked wrist shot from the point too.

11. Lastly, Alscher. Nice comeback game from him after a poor overall showing against Slovaks. Used his size really well and skates good for a big man. His decision making in D-zone was also good.

Overall, today was a good confidence boost for the boys. Hopefully they gained some good chemistry to help them with next game.
Just need to be confidant and play hard with no silly penalties and we have a chance to make it interesting.
Still think USA wins. They’ll likely pull away in the 2nd or 3rd period but I hope to be wrong. Maybe Hrabal is saving his best play for last.
Great writeup.. glad you're posting during the tourney. I feel like a madman sometimes yelling at clouds.lol

1. I have no idea what to think of Augusta... the Liberec connection and old school worries me a bit. However, ask me after the Quarters (if we make it). I hated that he split up the big line and punished Sale... I'm currently eating shit on that one.lol

2. Kulich is a bojovnik! He always plays well for us... by my count he has played 26 games at the big Tourneys (U18, Hlinka, U20) and has 36 points.

1703740598139.png

And 4 points in 4 games at Hlinka. Few all stars and a tournament MVP for us in those years.
I felt like this about Zadina too! We know how that is playing out.haha

3. I've always loved Bares.. has a 'pro' feel to his game. Very polished and always plays well for us. Good future Euro! Becher, I think, is either 'on' and lights out or 'off' and total shit. Small tournament and he could get hot for a game or two and that would be great as an outscorer. Melovsky has been my fav. I have this theory that Kulich can carry his own line and doesn't need Sale. Get Jiri the puck and collect assists. He seems good in that role and Sapo does the dirty work.

4. Not sure if you know, but lots of arguments about Galvas.lol Some have him in Round 1... some have him undrafted as a strong Euro D like Kundratek has become or maybe Nemec who was smaller but had tools. I wasn't sure if he'd make the team and I'm still not sure if he gets drafted. Total enigma to me. His skating is beautiful but his size isn't. I am really curious how he does and if he makes the Draft and where?

5. Cech is exactly what Czech hockey used to be. However, he's been in the system and they trust him. Pairs well with an offensive type guy. He does his job well but he's definitely the next Jordan (who at least made the NHL, Cech stands no chance but should be a good Euro pro). Prcik I liked today and wanted to see him and Metalarsky. The Euro ice may be an advantage to both.

6. I have no thoughts on Sapousek.lol .ppg in WHL and relatively big. A few years ago he'd be on the top line.lol

7. Zidlicky had a fabulous start and is cast perfect.. annoyting 4th liner. He's Jakub Flek! He may be fun in the room too and have some intangibles. Just don't want him in top 6. I didn't realize he is only 18 and is back next year. So I'm happy he's playing and returning. I do think next years team (pre injury and weird coaching decisions) is stronger than this one. I think next year is our best bet at medalling again. Hrabal/Milota as the 1-2... Sale as an AHL 19 year old and an insane D core with Port, Jiricek, Galvas, Badinka, Dvorak, Cibulka, Svozil and Fibigr. Toss in a Curran and a Benak too!

8. PP worries me.. I can see what they are trying to do and understand 'get it to Kulich' but it's one and done. The goal today was from him passing it off and getting it open. He should be able to setup a few guys himself since everyone is expecting the pass. Last year's dynamic D spoiled me as Svozil and Jiricek did a lot on that PP.

9. Yup, we look lost... 1st period today, 2nd and 3rd yesterday. That's 3 very shitty periods so far. We've only played 6 and have yet to play a US/Canada/Sweden.

10. Love Hamara and think he makes the NHL. Reminds me of Kaberle a bit.. less offense than Tomas but more D like Frantisek. I could be out to lunch on this one though! His OHL time has not been the best.

11. Alscher is playing well.. he's going to be tough to make NHL.. he's more old school himself. Perfect Top 4 compliment to guys like the now departed Jiricek or Hamara. Less we notice him the better. Actually, he's probably our next Michal Jordan.

The penalties need to go badly. I also feel like Zidlicky is the only one demonstrating 'we will fight to the death'. I felt like last years bottom 6 was much meaner! We need Zohorna style types down there that will get down and dirty push after the whistle and be pricks. Not seeing enough of that.

I'll be in shock if we beat US in the round robin. I do think we have the team and game to beat anyone in the quarters as guys give it their all and block more shots and such. I no longer care about the placement.. Slovakia screwed it all up for us (lol) and we are playing Canada/Finland/Sweden and most likely Canada/Sweden. Nightmare quarter incoming. No more injuries, get the PP down, work on the PK and get a good flow for the quarters. Hope Hrabal improves with each game.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Decent rebound game result-wise, but I really don't like the way this team plays. Do they even have any system in place? Aside from feeding Kulich at the PP all the time, which won't work against legit contenders (well it just might thanks to Kulich's ridiculous release, but more creativy and variety in plays would be very much welcome)
5 on 5 it feels so disorganized and the PK is a joke lol.
Hrabal doesn't inspire much confidence either, which is unfortunate, because he is a terrific prospect capable of taking over a game. At least Kulich and Sale got the goals, could get them going.

In what has been a rather shallow play so far, I have liked Melovsky. IMO he is the best of the undrafted CHL guys (Melovsky, Rymon, Becher + the rest.) I don't know how likely is he to get drafted as an overager, but I would be surprised if he doesn't get NHL interest (he did attend some NHL camps already after all.) Also, Zidlicky has looked pretty good on the 4th line, almost shockingly good even though it was 'only' against Norway.

Sure does feel good to put up some goals doesn't it? Usually these December U18/U17 games are slug fests, where Czechs try to win 2:1 games. But the 06/07 generations do look indeed good. Don't want to jinx it, but come U20 time, a squad made of these two generations could be medal contender. No idea about the 2008's just yet, although the underage Kachlir has looked very, very promising...
More wins today for the U18/17/16 repre!

I know it may mean nothing but it does feel like we have some talent coming up.

You know more than I do about the programs in Czech. They seem to be on an uprise... what do you think the reason is?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Is vondras going to play
I'd be surprised if he did.

However, it's a likely loss and it would save Hrabal for the elimination game which is a logic I don't like but have seen before. Feed the backup. Eg. Germany is doing it right now.

Definitely want Hrabal in net against Swiss on NYE.

Reactions: I Loveallsports

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I'd be surprised if he did.

However, it's a likely loss and it would save Hrabal for the elimination game which is a logic I don't like but have seen before. Feed the backup. Eg. Germany is doing it right now.

Definitely want Hrabal in net against Swiss on NYE.
He's struggled thus far in junior. Hope he turns it around. Carolina might want him to get a game in.

Reactions: Czechboy

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

Hrabal blames himself for the loss against Slovaks.

He looked great against Norway. Played calm. Again, hoping it was just first game jitters and continues to get better. Will really need him to play lights out against USA to even keep it close.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Hrabal blames himself for the loss against Slovaks.

He looked great against Norway. Played calm. Again, hoping it was just first game jitters and continues to get better. Will really need him to play lights out against USA to even keep it close.
I look forward to 19 year old Hrabal. They thrust too much on him too early IMO.

FTR.. I don't think he was the problem against Slovakia. I thought the whole team was. He made a lot of great saves and looked good.

For sure a few goals were terrible but big ice, nerves and us playing like shit didn't help.

That one 'beer league' wrister was brutal though.lol

I've seen him at 3 tourneys now and he's always shit the bed once.lol Reminds me of Askarov a bit in that he is highly touted but NT may not be his thing.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
More wins today for the U18/17/16 repre!

I know it may mean nothing but it does feel like we have some talent coming up.

You know more than I do about the programs in Czech. They seem to be on an uprise... what do you think the reason is?
Look, I checked the lineups of Finland U16 a bit and hopefully the Bolshevik KRIT office won't be angry with me when I write that our victory today won't have that much weight again, because they probably changed the lineup completely since the last tournament.. They probably all northerners they experiment a lot with those lineups in these tournaments and send a second set to some of them.
But otherwise I agree that the next years don't look bad at all..

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
USA looked ridiculous today. Was hoping Swiss could keep it close for a bit and tire them out more lol.
I think the only way we have a small chance is cause USA played today. And honestly their defence has some holes. Swiss managed some great chances. But their offence is insanely lethal.
This is where guys like Prčik and Cech scare me. I don’t think they’ll be able to manage the speed and skill of team USA.

Praying we can keep it close at least. Gotta stay out of the box.

And hopefully our offence is woken up after Norway. I don’t see the lines changing at all.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Look, I checked the lineups of Finland U16 a bit and hopefully the Bolshevik KRIT office won't be angry with me when I write that our victory today won't have that much weight again, because they probably changed the lineup completely since the last tournament.. They probably all northerners they experiment a lot with those lineups in these tournaments and send a second set to some of them.
But otherwise I agree that the next years don't look bad at all..
Absolutely, I don't think it means much. But it's nice to have some wins and score a lot of goals.

We both know that from 17 to 19 that a lot of very good prospects disappear and don't develop properly.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I don’t see the lines changing at all.
At practice today they had them seperate.

In fairness, they are both first rounders and should be able to carry their own lines.

I don't like ftr.lol I wanted them together. But, Kulich doesn't need elite around him... he just needs a pass and Melovsky can do that.

We are in big trouble tomorrow! Have your daytime Plsner Urquell ready to ease the pain.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
At practice today they had them seperate.

In fairness, they are both first rounders and should be able to carry their own lines.

I don't like ftr.lol I wanted them together. But, Kulich doesn't need elite around him... he just needs a pass and Melovsky can do that.

We are in big trouble tomorrow! Have your daytime Plsner Urquell ready to ease the pain.
Having Becher as a 3rd line centre is a nice luxury. I like splitting it up a bit and spreading out talent but they may have to change things on the fly against USA and stack top 2 lines to be able to get any sustained pressure. Ie, get rid of Sapousek lol.

But like I said earlier the USA has some defensive weaknesses. We have to transition up the ice better and with more speed. Just like on the 1st goal against Slovaks.

And it’ll be Becherovka for me brother! 🍻

• Haha

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Having Becher as a 3rd line centre is a nice luxury. I like splitting it up a bit and spreading out talent but they may have to change things on the fly against USA and stack top 2 lines to be able to get any sustained pressure. Ie, get rid of Sapousek lol.

But like I said earlier the USA has some defensive weaknesses. We have to transition up the ice better and with more speed. Just like on the 1st goal against Slovaks.

And it’ll be Becherovka for me brother! 🍻
At 11am? You are definitely Czech.lol

I like the stack option... the Czech McDrai option. End of period. After a PK. Late in third.

Of course, it might be 7-0 by the third too and time to double see what Vondras, Hujer and Koci have.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad