GDT: Czech Republic - US of A

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Even more surprising considering I think of them as a country that's only really started to produce a lot of good players in the last 10-20 years, so you'd think they'd have some more recent success. It's true though that they don't get a lot of buy-in from established players and are generally running youth
Earlier than "10-20" years which makes it a bit more painful. 1991 Canada Cup was the US 1st good showing since 1980. The bitterness over flowed which led to the 1996 World Cup victory. But then another drought started for the US.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
how is that relevant to what you posted earlier? You are posting shit, you're gonna get called out.
Exactly.. being a dick 10 seconds after we get eliminated. Did it to the Slovaks a few days ago.

No Jagr type at home - Pasta
No bearing fruit - bronze last year and silver at U20 this year

it's his thing.

Now moving goalposts.. all in the troll playbook. I regret replying with the very obvious answer to his very stupid post.

Reactions: vlady

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Earlier than "10-20" years which makes it a bit more painful. 1991 Canada Cup was the US 1st good showing since 1980. The bitterness over flowed which led to the 1996 World Cup victory. But then another drought started for the US.
Weirdest drought in sports... makes zero sense. Good luck the rest of the way!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
how is that relevant to what you posted earlier? You are posting shit, you're gonna get called out.
Maybe try to follow the flow of the conversation instead of being so testy. The complaints were about roster selection and impyling the coach is an idiot for who they didn't bring. Going "well we don't have our A team NHL guys" when nobody does is irrelevant,, those aren't players that weren't chosen they are players that choose not to go, same as everywhere. Quit moving the goalposts.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This was a terrible QF performance. Slow, no invention, the entire team was looking unconfident, like if they lost the game in their heads already before the opening face-off. Vejmelka was weak in the net. There was literally nobody who would go with the right mindset into the game. The PP's were painful to watch (Was somebody saying Erat was n PP coaching expert? Excuse me?). Two goals allowed just after the face-off. What? In a game such as this? The entire coaching stuff must go. They weren't doing a good job troughout the tournament and today it was just the culmination of their unimpressive job. They need to be replaced, Havlát as the GM probably too.

If we want a success next year in Prague, there has to be a different approach to the selection of players (was Sobotka even on the ice today?), to the strategy (I doubt any player on was enjoying the ultra-passive first period), to the overall coaching. Pairing Červenka with Sobotka on the first line? The two oldest and probably slowest forwards? What wrere they expecting them to do there? You can have a guy like Červenka, but you have to put him together with two speedy linemates. Not the even slower Sobotka. Definitely not is a game like this. Of course we need a few veteran players, but refusing to take a speedster like Jakub Lauko? It was obvious today that speed was the biggest pain of this team. Flek, Beránek, Radim Zohorna had at least something there. Why? Because they can skate at least a bit fast. Tomášek, for example, is good with his stickhandling, but he is terribly slow and everybody who understands hockey a bit must see that. The same the defense pair Kempný-Kundrátek. They are simply slow, their experience and good positioning comes in vain because they can't move fast enough.

I really don't want to see a hockey like this on my own eyes in Prague. The guys behind the bench really have to go now.

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
Maybe try to follow the flow of the conversation instead of being so testy. The complaints were about roster selection and impyling the coach is an idiot for who they didn't bring. Going "well we don't have our A team NHL guys" when nobody does is irrelevant,, those aren't players that weren't chosen they are players that choose not to go, same as everywhere. Quit moving the goalposts.
you weren't replying to anything with the OP. It's hard to know what you mean when you don't clarify.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Weirdest drought in sports... makes zero sense. Good luck the rest of the way!
It's not that weird, imo. The NHL went to the Olympics in 2010 and 2014, which is right around when the USA was really bearing fruit of expanded talent pool (in terms of NHL talent a rise from 13.7 % to 20.6 % from 2002-03 to 2009-10). In those Olympics, USA lost in the Gold Medal Game to Canada in 2010 and then lost in the Semifinals 1-0 to Canada in 2014. There hasn't been an NHL player Olympics since then, leaving only the World Championships and the couple of no NHL player Olympics. You'd probably expect USA to randomly win it one of these years, but the buy-in is probably lower than any big country (including Canada) and the tournament is held in Europe every year, whereas they'd probably have a better shot if it was in North America.

The World Juniors (which is a "best on best" amongst players who are still Juniors) is a more reflective representation of American hockey presence the last 20 years or so, as over long multi-year samples you can see the type of players being churned out into the pro ranks each year.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
That was easy game for team USA. Such a pathetic performance by this Czech team. Czech management and coaching staff need to realize that hockey is now "young man's game" and accordingly to that make a roster selection.

They deserved to lose this game at least 6-0.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Germany vs the US. 1 team making their first IIHF World Championship Gold Medal game. History will be made
Seider will be back too! Germans can skate.. going to be a close game I imagine. Happy for both. Bit sad for the Swiss though.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
The Czechs’ 8th place is the historically WORST EVER RESULT of a Czech or indeed Czechoslovak team at the ice hockey world championships. Kari is a real record breaker. During his time in charge we also lost against Austria and Latvia for the first time. And all that while playing the worst and most boring hockey any Czech team has ever played. I hope he has been fired already or had the good grace to resign.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Czechs’ 8th place is the historically WORST EVER RESULT of a Czech or indeed Czechoslovak team at the ice hockey world championships. Kari is a real record breaker. During his time in charge we also lost against Austria and Latvia for the first time. And all that while playing the worst and most boring hockey any Czech team has ever played. I hope he has been fired already or had the good grace to resign.
And half his tenure he had our best players available. I do wonder why so many guys said no....

1. selfish assholes
2. don't like the Kari system (remember Hertl was promised 1C and everything goes through him and then he didn't get any of that and wasn't effective till Bronze when paired up with Vrana)
3. Havlat took the money and flew to a beach instead of visiting the NHL teams like he said he did.lol Maybe he was with you in Asia!

So as of today we are sitting on our worst ever Olympic result and our worst ever Skoda's result. Nice!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad