CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Atlanta Flames - 8 years (1972-1980)
Atlanta Thrashers - 12 years (1999-2011)
Total: 20 years

Quebec Athletic Club - 1 year (1919-1920)
Quebec Nordiques - 16 years (1979-1995)
Total: 17 years

I see no reason to count Quebec's seven years in the WHA when asking about NHL franchises.
I do count the WHA years of the Nords. They actually won a league championship in the WHA. While Atlanta has never celebrated a Stanley Cup victory.

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons
Removing the team from Tucson just seems like such a mistake, except possibly if they get an ECHL team

They're trying to keep pro hockey alive in the largest metro area in AZ, even if it means screwing over the fanbase in Tucson.

For being the "Arizona" Coyotes, they have never really cared much about the rest of the state.

Reactions: Brodie

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The Flames was almost 50 years ago.
From where I'm sitting, if folks wanna dredge up the charred remains of the Flames, they should also be prepared to face the bones of the Bulldogs. In this way, QC also failed twice.
I do count the WHA years of the Nords. They actually won a league championship in the WHA. While Atlanta has never celebrated a Stanley Cup victory.
Neither has QC. The Avco Cup is not the Stanley Cup.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
so, what do we know about the Utah ownership group?
Owner owns the Utah Jazz and MLS club. Will play out of the current Jazz arena (think NYI from a few years ago) 12000 ish seats, some blocked view. A current ice arena that was being planned for Olympics will be reworked I guess part of Utahs new team Apparently 6000 season tix already sold. Group seems to have plenty of money and stability, and seems intent to not just make the team work but be successful. Thats pretty much my essential gleaning, Im sure theres a ton of stuff that other BOH members know in greater detail :)

Also re arena...might be 2-3 years before team is able to move from Jazz arena to the updated arena (maybe?)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
"If the Coyotes weren’t on the rise, with a lot of good young players and prospects, I’m not sure this happens," one owner said this week.

"That’s fair," another executive added. "If this was a rebuilding team, or a team headed into one, I don’t know if it works."

I get this, but would a brand new expansion team be that much better? You have to start from zero and are stuck with mostly cast offs.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ok so if merelo is able to somehow get the arena. Does he automatically get a team back? Wouldn’t that mean gauranteed expansion?

They said he doesn’t have to go through a review. I don’t get that? What if the league isn’t in a position to want 33 teams?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ok so if merelo is able to somehow get the arena. Does he automatically get a team back? Wouldn’t that mean gauranteed expansion?

They said he doesn’t have to go through a review. I don’t get that? What if the league isn’t in a position to want 33 teams?

The league already wants 36, why would they not be in a position to want 33?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I get this, but would a brand new expansion team be that much better? You have to start from zero and are stuck with mostly cast offs.

I would much rather the coyotes than a new team roster.

They got a million picks. 4-5 good players. No bad contracts (not ltir) and a ton of money to spend.

The league already wants 36, why would they not be in a position to want 33?

I’m not saying they won’t. Lots of crazy things happen.

I’m asking does he automatically get a team with an arena in 5 years?

Reactions: Voight

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I’m not saying they won’t. Lots of crazy things happen.

I’m asking does he automatically get a team with an arena in 5 years?

Pretty much, yes. That's the deal. It might not even be 5 years. If the timeline we've been discussing here somehow manages to work out perfectly, then it could happen in 3 years. The target for the new arena was 27-28. That's probably too much to hope for, but 28-29 or 29-30 feel likely to me if he's successful

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They’re saying he doesn’t need BOG approval but there has to be some kind of greenlighting process. Or gaslighting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad