CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Will never happen. One day when Gary is about 135-136 years old, a custodian or security guard will be making his rounds in the NHL offices and find Gary dead at his desk.
Nah. He'll have passed his consciousness into a GaryBot long before that happens. He will be the Eternal Commissioner.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Nah. He'll have passed his consciousness into a GaryBot long before that happens. He will be the Eternal Commissioner.
Imagine the disembodied and reanimated head of Gary Bettman announcing trades at the draft a la Richard Nixon's head in Futurama.

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE! I HAVE A TRADE TO ANNOUNCE!

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
Imagine the disembodied and reanimated head of Gary Bettman announcing trades at the draft a la Richard Nixon's head in Futurama.

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE! I HAVE A TRADE TO ANNOUNCE!
gary.jpg

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
jokes about Gary lasting forever aside, they really need to bring in someone with next gen understanding of marketing... same thing they did when they brought Bettman in for his experience promoting the NBA in the 80s and leading their expansion efforts, they need someone who knows how to create stars

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Arizona Coyotes to Salt Lake City? Relocation speculation swirls around NHL team in Utah

To quote:

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman recently addressed the state of the Arizona Coyotes saying that "the Coyotes are exploring their options in the greater Phoenix area, and our hope is that one of those options being explored will come to fruition."

But some comments from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly set off another round of relocation speculation for the NHL team in Arizona, a team that recently had a new arena plan rejected by Tempe voters, prompting renewed questions about the future of the franchise in the state.

Daly, in the same new conference as Bettman, said that "we have certainly talked to Ryan Smith (owner of the Utah Jazz) and he has indicated he has an interest in bringing the NHL to Salt Lake City."

He added: “I think, obviously, what happened in Arizona created this talk of (the) potential need for relocation, and I suppose on some level that’s accurate. But I don’t think it changed what Ryan Smith had expressed to us, which is an interest in bringing the NHL to Salt Lake.”"

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2023/06/06/arizona-coyotes-nhl-relocation-speculation-salt-lake-city-utah/70295512007/

Clickbait article.

Almost like they’re reading HFBoards now for material.

:laugh:

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
That's non-sense. It's unrelated. Wanting an entertainment district around the arena to make more money just means businessmen like making money. It's an opportunity to be seized.

Cities want the entertainment district as part of "urban renewal," and building one into the arena deal ensures it happens instead of just hoping it happens organically.

And the team owners think that if it's gonna happen, why shouldn't THEY be the beneficiary.

Saying the team NEEDS it in order to be profitable is just projecting your opinions on the market/franchise because you CAN and it's impossible to prove/disprove.

We shall see if you are right when the next proposal comes out....if they build a rink all alone somewhere then I'm wrong. But why would the TED be contingent on the clean up of the entire plot of land in Tempe and not just enough for Murelo to build a rink and move the team?

It's like...just maybe.....billionaires have people with business sense advising them of how to have the least risk in ownership of an entity. And control of an ED would be a way to ensure if the team doesn't bring in lots, the area will.

Owning a team is mostly only profitable if you have other sources of income....until you decide to sell and the value has gone up. So an entire district for use/rent/development would be a way to ensure that they stay in the red while running the team.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
We shall see if you are right when the next proposal comes out....if they build a rink all alone somewhere then I'm wrong. But why would the TED be contingent on the clean up of the entire plot of land in Tempe and not just enough for Murelo to build a rink and move the team?

It's like...just maybe.....billionaires have people with business sense advising them of how to have the least risk in ownership of an entity. And control of an ED would be a way to ensure if the team doesn't bring in lots, the area will.

Owning a team is mostly only profitable if you have other sources of income....until you decide to sell and the value has gone up. So an entire district for use/rent/development would be a way to ensure that they stay in the red while running the team.
It depends on the market. I think the Fliers would be fine if Xfinity Live! Philadelphia hadn't been built. Vegas only owns 15% of their arena and nothing of the surrounding area. Dallas has like half of their arena. There are a few teams that can succeed with just a share of the arena and some need to control the entire arena. When you get to situations were the team needs the entire arena AND surrounding area you have to wonder about the strength of the hockey market.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If I recall it was:
Hamilton!
A little Saskatooon!
Hamilton!
Winnipeg!
Cupcakes!
Quebec!
Seattle!
Full on haboob!
Tempe - joint with ASU!
Two weeks!
Houston!
Somewhere in the Valley!
Tempe again! But maybe Salt Lake City if it doesn't work
It didn't work :(
Houston? Salt Lake City?
Yeah we don't know...
Please forgive my ignorance, but I can't seem to place the Cupcake reference.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It depends on the market. I think the Fliers would be fine if Xfinity Live! Philadelphia hadn't been built. Vegas only owns 15% of their arena and nothing of the surrounding area. Dallas has like half of their arena. There are a few teams that can succeed with just a share of the arena and some need to control the entire arena. When you get to situations were the team needs the entire arena AND surrounding area you have to wonder about the strength of the hockey market.

It’s more about hedging for the worst of times which is pretty much where the Yotes have lived for the last decade. If there’s a team out there that can make the playoffs with regularity and still not survive financially on their own, you’re right, they shouldn’t exist. But most teams could use a little help if they’re picking top ten for a decade.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Please forgive my ignorance, but I can't seem to place the Cupcake reference.
It’s fits right in where $100 million for parking should go.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It’s fits right in where $100 million for parking should go.

Thanks. I prefer Red Velvet if anyone is interested.

Dynamite Kid

Jun 26, 2018
I wanted to follow up on this comment from @Dynamite Kid in the last thread:

In 2009-2011 it is true that TNSE and Mark Chipman were very quiet - but there were tons of rumours, plenty of news stories asking "Could the Jets be coming back". There was even the Jetsowner.com website where you could get all the latest info on the Return of the Jets (and it came out later the website owner was getting some level of info from TNSE). Heck TSN even had a Jets-O-Meter marking the likelihood of the Jets return.

Now maybe it's because I don't speak French I'm unaware of any equivalent - but I haven't heard anything equivalent going on around Quebec City.

Here you go!

Reactions: Lions67

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If Bettman was talking to politicians in Phoenix, why would he go on Canadian TV to do it? He'd likely get better traction talking to a reporter in Phoenix.

Bettman is used to talk to politians thru media with subtle, or not, comments about what might happen if they don't give the NHL kids the candy it so badly wants.

I mean he wasn't so subtle when he expresses his concern over Calgary Flames and it's future, just when the city and the team couldn't reach a deal for new arena, how convenient.

He's done it more than once in AZ one of the less subtle messages being if Glendale doesn't pay 25M Coyotes are gone by next week.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
You were so close. Just don't add more sentences to the first one. They don't NEED it, but it's the smarter way to package a stadium/arena deal, period. For everyone involved with any new stadium.

I get that it's easy to point at the Coyotes, the Islanders, the Oakland A's...

But don't forget the Detroit Red Wings/Pistons, Atlanta Braves and University of Tennessee. The Vols aren't going to relocate if they don't get their mixed-use entertainment district of bars and restaurants and team shops around their stadium.

It's true. Even in Quebec City, there is a plan (and available land) to build hotels, condos, shopping centers and what not around the arena. The only thing it isn't chain linked to the existence of the arena.

I've talked to some private investors and constructions companies who've said the are losing money/not making any because they need to down scale their projects around the Quebec City arena given there is no team. One in particular said to me he would have had the most profitable project in years if the team came back, but now has to settle to a project he really doesn't wanna build and wish he could just sell the land instead. The city is forcing developpement tho, because upon purchase you have X years to build something on the parcel otherwise you lose it.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
I wanted to follow up on this comment from @Dynamite Kid in the last thread:

In 2009-2011 it is true that TNSE and Mark Chipman were very quiet - but there were tons of rumours, plenty of news stories asking "Could the Jets be coming back". There was even the Jetsowner.com website where you could get all the latest info on the Return of the Jets (and it came out later the website owner was getting some level of info from TNSE). Heck TSN even had a Jets-O-Meter marking the likelihood of the Jets return.

Now maybe it's because I don't speak French I'm unaware of any equivalent - but I haven't heard anything equivalent going on around Quebec City.
Different circumstances.

The main one being the Ottawa ownership situation. Being too loud would totally screw up getting the bid rejects as part of the potential ownership group.

I would also imagine it plays into QC's favor at this point if they're the stealth bid because the reality is they have 100% of the leverage if they have a bid rejects forming the ownership group.

They have the arena.

They have the only market that won't be totally poisoned by a bad team.

They are the only market not worth expanding to. Every other market is $1 billion off the board that'll never come back. That's assuming expansion fees can't be pushed up to $2 billion by decades end.

The Canadian national contract is the biggest ticking timebomb for the league. The nordiques could easily be the difference maker especially with a Canadian divison.

We have a local regional broadcaster who wants the team. This would be a provincial broadcast making the nordiques the team of Quebec. If this doesn't happen we have ever reason to think TVAS will start pushing the CPL/CFL as they are very interested in both leagues.

The immigration rates have been changed by Trudeau. All of a sudden Quebec which has had slow population growth is bound to have certain numbers of high growth.

The whole argument against Quebec is "potential"

for starters it excludes the factual reality that other sports are penetrating the Canadian market. And so they're letting other leagues sweep in and grab up that growth.

More critically we have millions of new people coming into canada every day. If it becomes TVAS's team then that's a team new Canadians will be exposed to. Canada's supplying new fans far faster than you're happy to pull fans away from the big 3.

The idea of Montreal getting an NBA isn't off the radar. That should be a whelp for molson the league. That's ignoring the rising popularity of soccer and potential growth in CFL fandom. And the apperance that TVAS is gonna start pushing a sport other than hockey if they don't get a team. Keeping in mind Quebec is now hard targeting immigrants from soccer dominated country(francophone countries).

EDIT: keeping in mind don't forget if Molson doesn't play game certain Politian can slap a jock tax onto the team, basically ending the franchise.

Truly making it a paradox, is if they're so convinced the sunbelt is where all the growth is, than obviously getting expansion fees is automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad