CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Think I need a corroborating source here. We know he doesn’t need to look far if he’s trying to sell.
Oh I certainly agree with that.

But Gambadoro frames this as Meruelo is actively shopping the team. Then later on looks at his on air partner with a wink and nod saying (paraphrasing) “You know who I’ve talked to..”

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Arizona Coyotes 'fully committed' to winning June state land auction, building new arena

To quote:

"A roughly 100-acre rectangle of desert land in north Phoenix will be auctioned for sale on June 27, and the president of the Arizona Coyotes says the team’s owner is “fully committed to being the winning bidder.”

Even if they are the highest bidder, the Coyotes will have to clear other hurdles before breaking ground.

Those include reconciling with Phoenix whether an arena is allowed on the property under its current zoning. Team leadership is also likely to seek a special taxing arrangement to help finance construction.

Zoning and tax issues to come

One issue to be resolved is whether Meruelo’s planned development is allowed on the land under current zoning.

But arenas are not specifically allowed under the current zoning, according to Dan Wilson, spokesperson for the city. That means the property owner could argue an arena is allowed and seek an evaluation of the current zoning designation, or possibly need to rezone, according to Wilson.

But the team will likely ask Phoenix and the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors for help in a way that could come at a cost to Arizonans who go to games or shop at the proposed development.

Meruelo would need those governments to create a special taxing district for the project, called a theme park district, which would establish a board that can issue tax-free bonds to finance construction.

The bonds are often repaid by revenue from an additional tax of up to 9% charged on transactions within the development."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2024/04/04/arizona-coyotes-commit-to-winning-june-state-land-auction-for-new-arena/73184176007/

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Arizona Coyotes 'fully committed' to winning June state land auction, building new arena

To quote:

"A roughly 100-acre rectangle of desert land in north Phoenix will be auctioned for sale on June 27, and the president of the Arizona Coyotes says the team’s owner is “fully committed to being the winning bidder.”

Even if they are the highest bidder, the Coyotes will have to clear other hurdles before breaking ground.

Those include reconciling with Phoenix whether an arena is allowed on the property under its current zoning. Team leadership is also likely to seek a special taxing arrangement to help finance construction.

Zoning and tax issues to come

One issue to be resolved is whether Meruelo’s planned development is allowed on the land under current zoning.

But arenas are not specifically allowed under the current zoning, according to Dan Wilson, spokesperson for the city. That means the property owner could argue an arena is allowed and seek an evaluation of the current zoning designation, or possibly need to rezone, according to Wilson.

But the team will likely ask Phoenix and the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors for help in a way that could come at a cost to Arizonans who go to games or shop at the proposed development.

Meruelo would need those governments to create a special taxing district for the project, called a theme park district, which would establish a board that can issue tax-free bonds to finance construction.

The bonds are often repaid by revenue from an additional tax of up to 9% charged on transactions within the development."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2024/04/04/arizona-coyotes-commit-to-winning-june-state-land-auction-for-new-arena/73184176007/

Where do I start,,,,? (I’m doing this all on the fly right now so mmmv….

Maricopa County wouldn’t necessarily be involved since this parcel is in the city of Phoenix.

According to Gutierrez, Phoenix previously approved construction of an indoor ice arena in an identically zoned area that was never built.

There are no GPLETs involved.

Gutierrez mentioned they are looking into the theme park designation. But there’s also currently a movement by the Phoenix Rising soccer club to remove the city and county entities from that process, putting it at the state level.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
First comment seen about gate revenue at Mullett...

Arizona Coyotes unveil arena plans for land NHL team wants to buy in Phoenix

To quote:

"In the past two seasons, the team has played in Mullett Arena, the 5,000-seat college hockey arena on Arizona State University’s campus in Tempe. Even though the venue is smaller, Gutierrez said the Coyotes have seen increased demand from fans to attend games in the smaller arena.

Gutierrez said the Coyotes only had 37 games in 17 years in its previous location in Glendale where gate revenue was at $1 million or more. He said that during the 2023-2024 season at Mullett Arena – a year when the team showed some promise at the beginning of the season but will miss the playoffs yet again – the team has had five games with gate revenue at $1 million."

Source (Paywall): www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2024/04/04/arizona-coyotes-unveil-arena-plans-north-phoenix.html

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
“Not throwing cold water release but….”

What a clown. He got burned once already yesterday for saying the Coyotes “100% fact!” couldn’t sign anyone and the next day the sign one of their top picks to an ELC.

Now he doubles down with this…

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
I did enjoy the statement though, I know they said what they needed to say... but there is a part of me that would have found it hilarious if the statement said they had no intention of winning the auction and this whole process was just for shits and giggles :laugh:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Saying what we were all thinking. Time to put up or shut up for AM. No more excuses. There's no reason he shouldn't win this bid and I expect him to win it. If he doesn't, he might be the fakest motherf***er that has ever owned this team and that is really saying something. If he truly cares about the future of hockey in Arizona he doesn't let this fail for any reason.

I wonder if anyone else is interested in bidding?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Saying what we were all thinking. Time to put up or shut up for AM. No more excuses. There's no reason he shouldn't win this bid and I expect him to win it. If he doesn't, he might be the fakest motherf***er that has ever owned this team and that is really saying something. If he truly cares about the future of hockey in Arizona he doesn't let this fail for any reason.

Anyone with a $16 million dollar cashier's check and can cover the balance in 30 days...... and a legitimate vetted plan.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Here are all the notices attached to the auction.

Auction Notice (PDF,10 pages) - Contains all the details of the auction including qualifications, and requirements.

Auction Flyer (PDF, 1 page)

Phase 1 ESA (PDF, 325 pages) (Note: Looks like same as the original 200 acre study)

ALTA/NSPS Land Title Survey (PDF, 6 pages)

City of Phoenix Infrastructure Letter (PDF, 10 pages)

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
I know Scottsdale is the more ideal spot for various reasons but isn't this proposed site almost as far from downtown Phoenix as the arena in Glendale is?
Glendale to Phoenix is approximately an hour drive.
Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix basically, it’s 20 minutes and way more populated than Glendale ever was.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
First comment seen about gate revenue at Mullett...

Arizona Coyotes unveil arena plans for land NHL team wants to buy in Phoenix

To quote:

"In the past two seasons, the team has played in Mullett Arena, the 5,000-seat college hockey arena on Arizona State University’s campus in Tempe. Even though the venue is smaller, Gutierrez said the Coyotes have seen increased demand from fans to attend games in the smaller arena.

Gutierrez said the Coyotes only had 37 games in 17 years in its previous location in Glendale where gate revenue was at $1 million or more. He said that during the 2023-2024 season at Mullett Arena – a year when the team showed some promise at the beginning of the season but will miss the playoffs yet again – the team has had five games with gate revenue at $1 million."

Source (Paywall): www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2024/04/04/arizona-coyotes-unveil-arena-plans-north-phoenix.html
But what about the public pensions in Ontario?

Probably fair to ask about the distribution of those 37 dates. Are they recent? How many in the last years in Glendale?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Have to wonder if the other owners kick in some money if needed just to make sure. Not sure how much this kind of thing costs or what other use can be had for it. Then again, not necessarily the highest bid.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If someone was so inclined to really acquire the Coyotes and relocate them. Let's say Ryan Smyth and the Utah group.

Couldn't they in theory also participate in the auction and win the bid—thus forcing the Coyotes out—and then sell the land they won at the auction to the next highest non-Meruelo bidder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad