CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
If someone was so inclined to really acquire the Coyotes and relocate them. Let's say Ryan Smyth and the Utah group.

Couldn't they in theory also participate in the auction and win the bid—thus forcing the Coyotes out—and then sell the land they won at the auction to the next highest non-Meruelo bidder?
I would guess the NHL would frown down on this.

Reactions: RogerRoger

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If someone was so inclined to really acquire the Coyotes and relocate them. Let's say Ryan Smyth and the Utah group.

Couldn't they in theory also participate in the auction and win the bid—thus forcing the Coyotes out—and then sell the land they won at the auction to the next highest non-Meruelo bidder?
Only if they don’t mind a little red laser being pointed at their heads emanating from Gary Bettman’s general direction

Reactions: RogerRoger

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I would guess the NHL would frown down on this.

Only if they don’t mind a little red laser being pointed at their heads emanating from Gary Bettman’s general direction

Going to refer you all back to this document I posted about above.

It has all the requirements for who’s even going to be allowed to bid.

Reactions: GKJ

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
EXCLUSIVE: 'This is it': Coyotes CEO says team will look at relocation if they don't get land in Phoenix

Source (Video): www.abc15.com/exclusive-this-is-it-coyotes-ceo-says-team-will-look-at-relocation-if-they-dont-get-land-in-phoenix
This was a pretty noteworthy quote. While the timeline of the bid means the Coyotes will be in Arizona next year as it would be too late for a relocation, it would also reflect the reality of today. Things could always change in the future and another local option pops up. One thing I've learned in all this is that there is always money in the banana stand (a reference to long ago, probably lost forever thread title in all this).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
So what're the odds that they put in a low-ball offer compared to some random real estate developer, goes all shucks, and tries to blame that sap?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm a bit confused as to why a date of June 27th guarantees they stay in Arizona for another year.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm a bit confused as to why a date of June 27th guarantees they stay in Arizona for another year.
It’s being speculated that it would be too late to move the team at that point. But I don’t think anything can be ruled out.

Reactions: LT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad