CXLVI - Future of Coyotes up in air after Tempe rejects arena deal - will remain at Mullet Arena for 2023-24, looking at Fiesta Mall site in Mesa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The developer needs to buy Water offsets/rights and transfer them to the municipality they're building in.

Mesa has like 4 data centers being built right now, in addition to a luxury shopping district that will have an artificial beach.

Everyone knows these "rights" are going to mean squat when things get dire but we all get to pretend it's okay for the next 5 years at least :)

There's some legitimately terrifying stuff going on in Ocean this year.

Reactions: Shwan

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jesus Christ, just say what you know so the media can ask Bettman about it tomorrow.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA

I'm quite certain that this is NOT what Buccigross is talking about, but by sheer coincidence, ...

facebook-city-seal-1elqhqg.jpg

To be clear, I think Buccigross is most likely referring to a possible option in the city of Phoenix. Still, ...

Last edited:
Reactions: tucker3434

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Vet Memorial is used for the state fair.

You can go to the sites for the venues and see what events are coming up to get an idea of how many events come to town and where they go.
Is Vet Memorial the one with the permanently leaky roof that they just refuse to fix?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Is Vet Memorial the one with the permanently leaky roof that they just refuse to fix?

Um, pretty sure that's Bank One Ballpark(baseball field). It could have a leaky roof? It's ancient, would have required structural repairs among many other things, would have probably been cheaper just to blow it up and build something new.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Um, pretty sure that's Bank One Ballpark(baseball field). It could have a leaky roof? It's ancient, would have required structural repairs among many other things, would have probably been cheaper just to blow it up and build something new.

There's no point in the expense of fixing a leaky roof. It's Phoenix. They don't have the roof to stop the rain.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
It is a mockingjay from the hunger games, but that’s probably what he means it to be.
Makes no sense to me, its not a Phoenix rising from the ashes. The movie is based around each quadrant putting up a sacrifice for the "Hunger Games". So does it mean that there are several communities biding for them and we will get to see? Will the team rise from the ashes? Will the team be a sacrifice and sold?

I hate media types who use this type of side show to gain. Just tell us.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
Makes no sense to me, its not a Phoenix rising from the ashes. The movie is based around each quadrant putting up a sacrifice for the "Hunger Games". So does it mean that there are several communities biding for them and we will get to see? Will the team rise from the ashes? Will the team be a sacrifice and sold?

You know that Uncle Gary won’t tell you anything until the moving trucks are about to unpack.
I just hope that moving trucks will be involved.
Way better than tracking airplanes lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Typical ESPN shit disturbance. Notice how they’re not saying anything about Utah, meanwhile 32 Thoughts has Ryan Smith on their actual pod being obvious that he’s next in line.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You missed the point. Everyone's life is full of "what would have happened if" points. Some are more significant than others but you only find that out when you look back from the future. And some of your biggest life-changing points come from very minor incidents. The same thing applies to hockey teams.

The other guy was her boyfriend. She was intrigued with me, we struck up a friendship and after a few weeks she quit sleeping with him and started dating me. The reason for the switch was "you're more interesting than him". (Full disclosure: the girl was 6 feet tall and I'm 6'2" and despite her decades of denials I think that was also a factor.) And it all began only because of a sudden cloud burst.

I wonder how many "what if?" points have the Coyotes had and what insignificant incident might have pushed the team into success in the Valley, with an avid fan base, a large TV audience, and a demand for a permanent arena?
Most often, life changes in an instant.

Congratulations to both of you. Fifty-two years is a very long time. Impressive.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

The official Penguins twitter tweeted a gif about Dubas coming over, the fictional character they used is known as "a rat" and "Judas". Sometimes people use things that look cool on twitter without knowing the context behind it.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Revenue sharing accomplishes both, but it's not contractually "necessary" to have competitive balance, and it IS contractually necessary that the teams pay the players 50% of HRR.

Fielding a quality roster and building a fan base isn't part of the CBA. 50% of HRR is.
No, if the total amount of players' salaries league-wide is less than 50% of HRR, then the owners have to proportionally increase each player's salary to make it 50%. It's the opposite of escrow.

Neither revenue-sharing nor the salary floor are needed for that purpose.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Most often, life changes in an instant.

Congratulations to both of you. Fifty-two years is a very long time. Impressive.
Thank you. She's a very patient woman putting up with me, relocating to Canada, and raising 3 strong daughters all the while being a better lawyer than me.

And it all happened because of a sudden rainshower. I still marvel at that.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
No, wasn't there a story how, when they celebrated the first birthday of the Vet back in the late 60s, they had this giant candle on the roof, and it somehow broke the seal, and ever since it's been leaking whenever rain comes by?

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
No, wasn't there a story how, when they celebrated the first birthday of the Vet back in the late 60s, they had this giant candle on the roof, and it somehow broke the seal, and ever since it's been leaking whenever rain comes by?
That's an interesting story I've never heard I have to look into it! But in general you are correct the roof has always had issues. They put about $1M in repairs in '09 but in 2021 when the Cyber Ninjas took residence for their election audit there were complaints about the roof after a storm.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
He definitely means it to be. If you do a gif search for "phoenix" a lot of directories have that as the top result.
Considering the phoenix is a mythical bird, I think you can have it look like anything you want.

Unlike mermaids and Christ, which have to be White otherwise half of America loses its mind. Or what passes for one.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
No, if the total amount of players' salaries league-wide is less than 50% of HRR, then the owners have to proportionally increase each player's salary to make it 50%. It's the opposite of escrow.

Neither revenue-sharing nor the salary floor are needed for that purpose.

They all want the players percentage to happen "organically" and avoid using the Make Whole provision.

You're last sentence completely ignores that for the poorer teams, the money has to come from some where either way.

If each team spends to their budget, and the league doesn't hit 50%... so they have to increase every salary proportionally to hit 50%... that's money not in their budget, money they don't have.

It's just easier for the league to use revenue sharing so teams budgets are higher and every team is within a tighter range of salaries, and hitting the 50% mark for the players just happens because their budgets are higher.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
They all want the players percentage to happen "organically" and avoid using the Make Whole provision.

You're last sentence completely ignores that for the poorer teams, the money has to come from some where either way.

If each team spends to their budget, and the league doesn't hit 50%... so they have to increase every salary proportionally to hit 50%... that's money not in their budget, money they don't have.

It's just easier for the league to use revenue sharing so teams budgets are higher and every team is within a tighter range of salaries, and hitting the 50% mark for the players just happens because their budgets are higher.
An NHL franchise that can't pay its proprionate share of salaries is grossly undercapitalized, and that would be a very big problem.

Reactions: Fairview

KevFu

May 22, 2009
An NHL franchise that can't pay its proprionate share of salaries is grossly undercapitalized, and that would be a very big problem.

This is exactly what I was talking about that led us to this convo: What you wrote is 100% NOT the case, and it has nothing to do with who teams are and how healthy/unhealthy they are.

It's how the system is set up, being based on the average. You need the same amount of teams and dollars on both sides of the average, and grow their revenues at the same rates year after year, or someone falls behind.

Doesn't matter who they are, or how robust business is.

Say it's a 4-team league of TOR, MON, VAN, CAL. And demand is 100% of everyone's population. Because there's 6 million people in Toronto, and substantially less in Calgary, Toronto can charge more and more and more for tickets, grow their revenue more and more and more; which raises the revenues more and more; and Calgary falls further behind and can't keep up.

In this scenario, Calgary isn't the problem: The model is creating a problem in Calgary.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

If the players share came out below 50% though then that would mean revenues were higher than projected though and making them whole should be easy because the unbudgeted money is basically a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad