CXLI - UPDATE 1/27 - Coyotes working on deal to play at 5,000-seat arena at ASU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Welp…. Another step in the right direction.

But many more steps to go.

(btw…. from what I read a couple of days ago, ASU doesn’t need ABOR approval on leasing the facility. A subsidiary of Oak View Group is managing the new facility for ASU.)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Well its all a moot point since news just broke that they reached a deal with ASU, but I figured the losses would be such that it would be better to buy and flip Gila River. Both the Montreal Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens were also retrofitted into useful stuff. Yes it would have no value as an arena at that point but it would be worth something at the rate Westgate is growing and it would seem from a distance to be less of a money loser than playing in front of 5K fans at ASU.

The Forum and MLG were both in extremely prime and valuable downtown locations. Both had historical significance.

GRA's location isn't worth nothing, but what we keep being told is that the location is the problem for the Coyotes. And nobody is going to care about the history of GRA/jobbing.com arena/Glendale Arena.

Not to mention I question whether Glendale could even have a civil conversation with the Coyotes, never mind negotiate a 9-figure deal.

But as you say - it's a moot point.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So our of curiosity what would Tempe residents prefer to see there?
When I was living there, most folks wanted to feel less like a suburb of Phoenix and more like an area that had a bit more culture and "beauty" outside of the University. Most felt like you had to keep going further away in order to feel like the urban sprawl wasn't impeding on the city. The areas encompassing Mesa and Tempe were becoming more and more run down and not kept as well. I'm sure a lot has changed in the last decade, but my guess is that it has gotten worse.

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
When I was living there, most folks wanted to feel less like a suburb of Phoenix and more like an area that had a bit more culture and "beauty" outside of the University. Most felt like you had to keep going further away in order to feel like the urban sprawl wasn't impeding on the city. The areas encompassing Mesa and Tempe were becoming more and more run down and not kept as well. I'm sure a lot has changed in the last decade, but my guess is that it has gotten worse.

So if I understand you…. you haven’t lived here for almost ten years.

Tempe is land locked. While cities like Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa have been stretching out. So for Tempe to continue to “grow” economically they can only infill on existing undeveloped land.

ASU is currently doing the same with the land it owns east of the campus. The Karsten golf course was shut down about 3 years ago and that land is now being repurposed for more campus and commercial use.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
this doesnt really change anything...it was a no brainer that ASU would approve this...free money and free upgrades without any sacrifices.....going to be weird seeing world class nhl players like ovechkin and mcdavid playing in such a small arena... also good luck signing free agents...coyotes gauranteed to be a bottom feeder for another 3 years.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
this doesnt really change anything...it was a no brainer that ASU would approve this...free money and free upgrades without any sacrifices.....going to be weird seeing world class nhl players like ovechkin and mcdavid playing in such a small arena... also good luck signing free agents...coyotes gauranteed to be a bottom feeder for another 3 years.

Coyotes are rebuilding from the ground up right now so FAs aren’t high on Bill Armstrong’s list.

But thanks for playing.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

So if I understand you…. you haven’t lived here for almost ten years.

Tempe is land locked. While cities like Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa have been stretching out. So for Tempe to continue to “grow” economically they can only infill on existing undeveloped land.

ASU is currently doing the same with the land it owns east of the campus. The Karsten golf course was shut down about 3 years ago and that land is now being repurposed for more campus and commercial use.

Yup. Nowhere to grow but up in Tempe...that's why I've been saying all along that the CoT is so eager to do something "nice" with what is currently that compost heap and equipment depot at Priest/Rio Salado. The vision for decades has been to make Town Lake the show piece of the city alongside ASU.

@golffuul - if you truly haven't been back since 2010, at least the area in the immediate vicinity of Town Lake would look almost completely unfamiliar. And in a good way - I would consider moving to that area now (from Chandler)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad