Rumor: Custance: Rangers interested in Rikard Grönborg?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
KLART: Rikard Grönborg lämnar Tre Kronor efter säsongen

Grönborg is leaving Tre Kronor after this season, won't renew his contract. I recon he is going to the NHL.

RG has stated he wants a HC position in the NHL, think he would have left TK over night had he been offered one. Can he get one next season? Wouldn't mind him replacing Ruff as an assistent if he can't.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Much rather Pešán then Grönborg if we're going to give a European coach a shot somewhere in the organisation.

PBarrz

Feb 26, 2013
Boston, MA
You want precedent? It's been mentioned before but here we go again.

Dave Hakstol, signed in 2015 at the age of 47 to a 5 year, 10m deal.
David Quinn, signed in 2018 at the age of 51 to a 5 year, 12m deal.

Accomplishments in the years leading up to their hiring.
Dave Hakstol:
Been coaching at NCAA level or higher since 2000
11 seasons as U North Dakota head coach, WCHA Championship (4), Frozen Four appearance (4), National Championship game appearance (1)
4 seasons as associate/assistant head coach UND

David Quinn:
Been coaching at NCAA level or higher since 1993
5 seasons as BU head coach, Hockey East Championship (2), Frozen 4 appearance (2), National Championship game appearance (1)
1 season as NHL assistant head coach
3 seasons as AHL head coach
5 seasons as associate head coach at BU under an aging Parker, strongly credited for developing the 2009 national championship that saw a lot of it's players play in the NHL at some point
3 seasons as assistant hc at UNO
2 seasons as assistant hc at Northeastern

If there was ever precedent, it's Dave Hakstol. Quinn signs 3 years later and his salary is 20% higher. He's not overpaid.

To quote you:

I will add one more thing. Just because he doesn't have experience at NHL level, doesn't mean he should be paid less than others who do. I had 0 experience in my current job when I was offered the position. I negotiated for a higher salary and now I make more than my former manager back in Amsterdam, even though he has more experience "at this level". Is that unfair? Or is that me trying to get the most out of the negotiations?

This was an interesting comparison, although an old post, I wanted to build on it - just glancing at their coaching resumes, Quinns might be more impressive? 20% more impressive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad