Rumor: Custance: Rangers interested in Rikard Grönborg?

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
College coach that is only coming because we had to overpay him.
Is that not accurate?

Exactly what part of that is a joke?
It’s not accurate. His contract is in line with the other coaches to make the jump from college to the nhl and it’s not like he’s getting top 5 coach money.

Let me ask you this. Have you ever asked for more money or more vacation days or really anything that wasn’t on the original offer letter? From the way you’re blowing this out of proportion is it safe to assume you’ve never asked for anything and actually went the other direction and told them you’d do it for less than they’re offering?

Negotiating a contract/job offer doesn’t make you a mercenary. It’s just good business.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
College coach that is only coming because we had to overpay him.
Is that not accurate?

Exactly what part of that is a joke?

Whenever I prostitute myself, I always say "not happening, dude" until we get into 3 figures then it's all about finding the nearest porta-potty.

Basic negotiation tactics, especially after Dallas hired our #1 choice. When you're an NHL coach with multiple NHL teams vying for you, you say "I'm listening to my options from other teams, I'm grateful for the interest and the patience". When you're a college coach being offered a contract by the only NHL team with a vacancy you say, "I'm really happy with my current job, I'm grateful for the interest"

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Grönborg tells Swedish newspaper that he's only interested in being head coach. His plans are to stick with the national team. KHL teams, Hurricanes and Sabres have shown some interest, doesn't mention the Rangers.

Grönborg jagas av NHL-klubbar

Reports appeared in Russian media that he's among candidates for Avangard Omsk headcoaching position.

«Авангард» ведёт переговоры с главным тренером сборной Швеции

Maxim Sushinskiy is the team's president. Another remainder of how quickly time flies. Maxim was one of these Russian super skilled forwards that didn't get a chance to stick in the 90's NHL because of his size. Too bad.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Whenever I prostitute myself, I always say "not happening, dude" until we get into 3 figures then it's all about finding the nearest porta-potty.

Basic negotiation tactics, especially after Dallas hired our #1 choice. When you're an NHL coach with multiple NHL teams vying for you, you say "I'm listening to my options from other teams, I'm grateful for the interest and the patience". When you're a college coach being offered a contract by the only NHL team with a vacancy you say, "I'm really happy with my current job, I'm grateful for the interest"

giphy.gif

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Grönborg tells Swedish newspaper that he's only interested in being head coach. His plans are to stick with the national team. KHL teams, Hurricanes and Sabres have shown some interest, doesn't mention the Rangers.

Grönborg jagas av NHL-klubbar

Doesn’t sound like it’s happening, can’t say that I am surprised. Would have been a good move, but a gutsy move and it would have required a lot of will and hands on work to get it done and I don’t think Gorts the type...

He is also having a kid late this summer, kid is starting school. Say that he wants to coach TK next season, but also add that he hadn’t had time to think things through.

I am also fairly certain that he isn’t going to the KHL though — Omsk probably just have him on a short list...

One clarification, Aftonbladet does not list teams being interested in him but teams that —- according to a source — have asked for his number. An agent? The Federation? Lots of people must have his number, if you must get it from someone neutral you can’t have the best connections...

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Would guess that a few teams were interested in him as a head coach and the Rangers inquired as to whether he'd be interested as an assistant.

Buffalo and Carolina have coaches right now though so...at this point if a team is going to change coaching staff they probably would have already done it so I would suspect that Gronborg isn't going to be getting any head coaching offers this year.

e: I mean, Carolina literally just named a new coach a few weeks ago. There are no head coaching vacancies in the NHL at the moment and as I said I think any team that has been out of the playoffs probably would have made a move in regards to its head coach if they wanted a chance. Doesn't make sense to wait on that when you need to get prepping for the draft and free agency

Reactions: haveandare

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It’s not accurate. His contract is in line with the other coaches to make the jump from college to the nhl and it’s not like he’s getting top 5 coach money.

Let me ask you this. Have you ever asked for more money or more vacation days or really anything that wasn’t on the original offer letter? From the way you’re blowing this out of proportion is it safe to assume you’ve never asked for anything and actually went the other direction and told them you’d do it for less than they’re offering?

Negotiating a contract/job offer doesn’t make you a mercenary. It’s just good business.

stop yourself please. negotiating business deals is literally what I do for a living I know what negotiations are like im not a 18 year old kid looking for a raise at Subway

this is not that.

this guy didn't want the job. we went to him. he told everyone he didn't want the job. we went BACK to him offered more. still didn't want the job. went back and offered him even more and its still not finalized who knows why. now we're hearing he's not even our first choice.

He didn't want to leave BU. he has no real nhl experience and quite frankly hasn' t done much of anything at the college level or the pro level. yet he's dictating terms like he's Jack Parker coming to the NHL. he's done absolutely NOTHING at any level to be trying to bend the Rangers over for a major contract which if we felt he was worth it in the first place we would have offered it to him. AV got 5 years 10 mil because he was AV he earned that. wasn't hard to get that one done. this guy thinks he's mike babcock.

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
stop yourself please. negotiating business deals is literally what I do for a living I know what negotiations are like im not a 18 year old kid looking for a raise at Subway

this is not that.

this guy didn't want the job. we went to him. he told everyone he didn't want the job. we went BACK to him offered more. still didn't want the job. went back and offered him even more and its still not finalized who knows why. now we're hearing he's not even our first choice.

He didn't want to leave BU. he has no real nhl experience and quite frankly hasn' t done much of anything at the college level or the pro level. yet he's dictating terms like he's Jack Parker coming to the NHL. he's done absolutely NOTHING at any level to be trying to bend the Rangers over for a major contract which if we felt he was worth it in the first place we would have offered it to him. AV got 5 years 10 mil because he was AV he earned that. wasn't hard to get that one done. this guy thinks he's mike babcock.

If negotiating business deals is literally what you do then you seem to have different standards for regular people and people that are associated with your favorite hockey team. It's that simple. Sometimes people don't want to uproot their lives and move to another city when they have a great job already unless they're blown away by an offer. If this happened in the business world you wouldn't even think twice about it. But since this is hockey and it hits the feels you throw a fit over it.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

this is not that.

SnowblindNYR pretty much summed up my response.

But I’ll add, AV was hired several years ago and was unemployed (which has already been said). The contract met his needs.

Just because DQ doesn’t check off all the boxes to your coaching wish list, doesn’t mean he didn’t meet the team’s. Just like we have different opinions on players and trades, it doesn’t mean our views line up with the Rangers’. He was clearly one of their guys and they did what was necessary to land him. Get over the numbers. It’s not coming out of your pocket.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Yeah he needs to stop with that.

mike babcock salary - Google Search

Babcok makes $6.25M/year for 8 YEARS...

Quenville makes $2.75M

AV made $2.5M, I believe that was bumped up to $3M/year when he got his extension

Quinn makes $2.5M for 5 years.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

this is not that.

So many wrong or unsubstantiated assumptions in this:

1. "this guy didn't want the job". No, this guy did not want to lose his dream job. Big difference. Because if things do not work out with the Rangers, BC head-coaching position (again - his dream job) will not be waiting for him.

2. "he has no real nhl experience and quite frankly hasn't done much of anything at the college or the the pro level" . Gorton said it himself that NHL head coaching experience was not part of his requirement. The requirement was ability to develop prospects, command respect and attention of the locker room and ability to grow with the team. Hasn't done much? Frankly you should leave this assessment to Gorton and Co.

3. Trying to bend the Rangers over for a major contract which if we felt he was worth it in the first place we would have offered it to him. Wow!!!!???? And you say you work requires understanding of negotiations (really?) Do you also always comes in to negotiations with your best offer?

4. What Babcock who's salary is more than twice as big has to do with anything? Flyers just recently made a pretty comparable offer to pry a college head coach. How come you just ignoring it?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Babcock and Quenneville are the highest paid coaches in the league. More than double the amount Quinn was offered.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Swedish version of Finnish public service broadcaster Yle says Buffalo and Carolina are the teams that are interested in Grönborg.
However they say that Aftonbladet is the source.
Höjt NHL-intresse för Grönborg – två klubbar uppges jaga Sveriges VM-guldtränare

Aftonbladet has a source, very likely on the federation, claiming that Buffalo and Carolina have called asking for Gronbergs phone number. Nowhere does it say that Buff and Carolina are the teams interested...

It don’t say much, every Swedish NHLer got RGs number...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad