Currently Better: MacKinnon vs Matthews?

Who is currently the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
That's a dumb thing to say.

I'm a massive Leafs fan and I voted Mackinnon.

Seems like a broad generalization without any basis of fact, that statement.
It was just a factual statement not speculation or an opinion. You can see who voted for which option.

Anyways, not painting the whole fanbase with one brush (there are some REALLY quality leaf fans that I enjoy reading), but also don't want to ignore the obvious.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Still voted Mack. Playoff performance matter more than regular season goals in a garbage division. But this is now an argument worth having (but it'd be a 1000 post long trend and take up way too much time lol). Matthews has really proven me wrong the last couple of seasons and is definitely on Mack's level. Sick player.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Still voted Mack. Playoff performance matter more than regular season goals in a garbage division. But this is now an argument worth having (but it'd be a 1000 post long trend and take up way too much time lol). Matthews has really proven me wrong the last couple of seasons and is definitely on Mack's level. Sick player.

I think its plain as day now that the west is the worst division. Two good teams, 1 meh and 5 shit teams with negative diff's. Avs are good and def a top 3 team imo...but this whole North is the worst narrative from primarily Avs fans is flat out wrong.

Mar 26, 2010
This is a lot closer than most are willing to admit.

There is no question that Matthews is the better a goal scorer.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think its plain as day now that the west is the worst division. Two good teams, 1 meh and 5 shit teams with negative diff's. Avs are good and def a top 3 team imo...but this whole North is the worst narrative from primarily Avs fans is flat out wrong.

The two good teams in the west is enough to make it average. There is not a single team in the North at the level of Vegas and Colorado. The North is easily the worst division. Toronto is about as good as Minny, which is still 3rd best by a mile in the west.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I think the any division is the worst narrative is overblown. With no interdivision games there is no real measuring stick. Some divs are more balanced and some are top heavy, but we don't really know if that means there are just terrible teams in the umbalanced divs or just some really dominant teams.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The guy who is having a down season and was out for a bit with a concussion has a higher point per game average than a guy who is apparently having the best season of his life. Makes you think.

Matthews couldn't even shoot the puck for over 10 games this year. When healthy he's scoring basically a goal per game.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think the any division is the worst narrative is overblown. With no interdivision games there is no real measuring stick. Some divs are more balanced and some are top heavy, but we don't really know if that means there are just terrible teams in the umbalanced divs or just some really dominant teams.

I think once we see the North winner get crushed in the playoffs when the games go interdivision, it'll show the gap in divisional strength.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
The two good teams in the west is enough to make it average. There is not a single team in the North at the level of Vegas and Colorado. The North is easily the worst division. Toronto is about as good as Minny, which is still 3rd best by a mile in the west.
Really, Leafs are on the same level as Minny?? This season is a complete outlier for Minny, they are an average team playing in a weak division. Minny was last and second last in their division the past 2 seasons. Oilers and Jets are probably slightly better than Minny, Leafs are similar to Vegas level...and none are on the Avs level.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Really, Leafs are on the same level as Minny?? This season is a complete outlier for Minny, they are an average team playing in a weak division. Minny was last and second last in their division the past 2 seasons. Oilers and Jets are equal and probably slightly better than Minny, Leafs are similar to Vegas level...and none are on the Avs level.

Minny was a playin team, the same as Leafs, Oilers, Jets etc. They were all around the same level. This season could also be a complete outlier for Toronto, an average team playing in a weak division. The west is more top heavy which is why they are an average division, not a weak one. The North has no elite team; just a mismash of average to below average team and one truly horrible team in Ottawa (which each team get to play more often since there are only 7 teams).

The fact that the west is only an average division is why I'm not sure the Avs are better than Tampa (whose in a better division) or Washington (probably in the best division). They might be but its hard to say.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
So they're no more biased than the OP who made the poll. Maybe the two options should be "Leafs fan" and "Not a Leafs fan."

The OP is either 1st or 2nd in terms of bias against the Maple Leafs. Poor thing.

I am a Maple Leafs fan but as of right now I take MacKinnon. Does that make me biased? btw - this is just a general question and NOT directed to the poster I've quoted.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

If I were looking to pad my individual scoring stats, I'd want to play in the North. There isn't a single goalie in the North that has played at least 15 games and is top 10 in the NHL in SV%. There are 3 from the West (Grubauer, Fleury, Petersen) - plus Kahkonen at 11th.

And, last year, there were only 2 North teams in the top 16 in terms of P% (Edmonton at 12, Toronto at 13). In fact, the North is the only division that didn't have a team finish in the top 10 for P%.

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
Currently? Matthews.

He has way more goals, he has more points, and he playing a more complete two-way game.

It's close though. My answer could be different in a week.
1 more point in two more games. Better two-way game is razor thin. MacK has the better underlying numbers. There’s no question Matthews is the better goal scorer, but that’s really it.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
If I were looking to pad my individual scoring stats, I'd want to play in the North. There isn't a single goalie in the North that has played at least 15 games and is top 10 in the NHL in SV%. There are 3 from the West (Grubauer, Fleury, Petersen) - plus Kahkonen at 11th.

And, last year, there were only 2 North teams in the top 16 in terms of P% (Edmonton at 12, Toronto at 13). In fact, the North is the only division that didn't have a team finish in the top 10 for P%.

No one is arguing that the North has a bunch of top teams. The west has the most bad teams...3 of the bottom 5 from last year are in the west, 5 of the bottom 10. Thats a lot of bad teams, no other division comes close.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
No one is arguing that the North has a bunch of top teams. The west has the most bad teams...3 of the bottom 5 from last year are in the west, 5 of the bottom 10. Thats a lot of bad teams, no other division comes close.

The West also had 2 of the top 3 P% in the league last year, and 3 in the top 8. The West also had 3 of the top 6 teams in GA/GP, and 5 with a GA/GP under 3.00. The North only had 1 under 3.00 (Winnipeg).

Plus St Louis won the Cup recently, and Vegas has been to the Western Conference finals (or Cup finals) in 2 of the last 3 years.

I'd say the good teams bring up the average for the West. Don't see much good in the North to help make up for Ottawa.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Currently? Matthews.

He has way more goals, he has more points, and he playing a more complete two-way game.

It's close though. My answer could be different in a week.

Interesting theory when Colorado has the #1 defensive team in the entire league.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
The West also had 2 of the top 3 P% in the league last year, and 3 in the top 8. The West also had 3 of the top 6 teams in GA/GP, and 5 with a GA/GP under 3.00. The North only had 1 under 3.00 (Winnipeg).

Plus St Louis won the Cup recently, and Vegas has been to the Western Conference finals (or Cup finals) in 2 of the last 3 years.

I'd say the good teams bring up the average for the West. Don't see much good in the North to help make up for Ottawa.
ok....my previous point stands. The West has the most bad teams, even a team worse than Ottawa.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Really, Leafs are on the same level as Minny?? This season is a complete outlier for Minny, they are an average team playing in a weak division. Minny was last and second last in their division the past 2 seasons. Oilers and Jets are probably slightly better than Minny, Leafs are similar to Vegas level...and none are on the Avs level.

You should watch games outside of your division, Minny is absolutely torching Vegas when they play each other. Advanced analytics exist for a reason, the only repetitive theme this entire season has been that the north is the weakest division in the NHL lmao.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I think once we see the North winner get crushed in the playoffs when the games go interdivision, it'll show the gap in divisional strength.
Maybe. But one series is still an incredibly small sample size. North winner is going to be a competitive team and could still win a series outside or even the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia