HF Habs: Current Standings Thread: Wrong Way for Wright (New Management edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Changing coaches will hurt our tank next year

No no no, you have to give Ducharme another chance as it isn't really fair to judge his work with the players he has available this season...

c8d01d80b20ea7a17e87233245729dcb5ae1ccbd.gif

Reactions: lilmaxo and Gravity

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Buffalo play Ottawa tonight, preference for Ottawa Win, OT preferred.
Need a Devils W
Arizona W
Flyers play Islanders, preference for a Flyers win, OT preferred.
Canucks W
Seattle W

Reactions: WinterLion

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
8 wins in 41 games. I never have thought that I would see a Habs team this bad, lacking so much cohesiveness and having the highest cap hit in the league. Really hope this new management can set the organization on the right path.

Reactions: Wats

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
This really is above and beyond bad. I never would have expected anything even remotely close to this level of suck. It's actually been pretty amusing, laughing at how bad my team has become.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
8 wins in 41 games. I never have thought that I would see a Habs team this bad, lacking so much cohesiveness and having the highest cap hit in the league. Really hope this new management can set the organization on the right path.

Yeah. Missing your two best players at such critical positions will do that to your team from the start. Though i agree, players could show more passion and more commitment to coach's system, whether they like it or not. Tough to find positiveness in this kind of season, except for couple of younger players like Romanov and Pezzetta.

That kind of situation is tough on a team. I mean i understand the tanking and all but you got to be careful with it. Players have to stick together and not undermine team spirit and relationships.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah. Missing your two best players at such critical positions will do that to your team from the start. Though i agree, players could show more passion and more commitment to coach's system, whether they like it or not. Tough to find positiveness in this kind of season, except for couple of younger players like Romanov and Pezzetta.

That kind of situation is tough on a team. I mean i understand the tanking and all but you got to be careful with it. Players have to stick together and not undermine team spirit and relationships.

That's fine, but the Habs are on pace to one of the worst seasons ever. And this isn't an Arizona situation where they are intentionally tore everything down.

It's no longer a question of being careful with tanking, it's more about figuring out if you can improve the situation a little in the short-term in a way that doesn't set you back in the long term. Because the Habs don't need to sell to tank next season, they need to take action to be slightly less bad. And they have no cap space to do anything.

I'm kind of in awe of how much of a mess Bergevin made. This is Burke/Nonis level bad. Maybe worse.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

It’s a valid argument but at the same time, teams like Pittsburgh have even without their top 2 guns for stretches at a time past few seasons and they still manage to be competitive most of the time.

Missing 2 top-4D and true starting goaltender hurts, and I’d argue more than losing two top centers on your team, but this is all on management.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That's fine, but the Habs are on pace to one of the worst seasons ever. And this isn't an Arizona situation where they are intentionally tore everything down.

It's no longer a question of being careful with tanking, it's more about figuring out if you can improve the situation a little in the short-term in a way that doesn't set you back in the long term. Because the Habs don't need to sell to tank next season, they need to take action to be slightly less bad. And they have no cap space to do anything.

I'm kind of in awe of how much of a mess Bergevin made. This is Burke/Nonis level bad. Maybe worse.
So true has a GM ever been as bad at managing the cap and handing out contracts as Bergevin?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's almost no one who hasn't been mentioned as possibly getting moved. Besides, the best they've mustered in the last few games is what, a win and a couple loser points? And that 99% because of goaltending. I wouldn't expect this team to go on any sort of run.

Basically, I think there is a chance it's not sub .300 hockey for the entire season. Saying that's a run is a stretch.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So true has a GM ever been as bad at managing the cap and handing out contracts as Bergevin?

Yes. Nonis/Burke in Toronto was a disaster. Chiarelli too. I just think it may be more difficult for Montreal to get out of it because of the flat cap.

But at present, Montreal has more money tied up in the cap than any team in the NHL until 2025-2026. That includes Weber, but even if you LTIR him you're looking at more commitments than most other NHL teams until at least 2025-2026. And its not like Montreal is in the same boat as Tampa or Vegas, what they're paying for sucks. Sure, other teams will sign big contracts and pass Montreal in the next 2-3 seasons, but I think it serves to illustrate just how little flexibility the Habs have. They have to at least retool because there literally isn't any other option.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Basically, I think there is a chance it's not sub .300 hockey for the entire season. Saying that's a run is a stretch.
Unless guys stop dropping like flies, I can honestly see .300 hockey. They're down to their 4th and 5th string goalies right now too. I said they need to grab the first goalie put on waivers, but I'm not sure anyone will do that for a while, knowing the Habs will most likely grab them.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Historically bad.

They'll be the first team in NHL history to be 32nd in some categories :rolly:
Another record for the history books! How far this stories franchise has fallen.

I think this will be the mist exciting season since Gainey took over and made wholesale changes. At least I hope that what happens to save this fast sinking ship.

Reactions: Tuggy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unless guys stop dropping like flies, I can honestly see .300 hockey. They're down to their 4th and 5th string goalies right now too. I said they need to grab the first goalie put on waivers, but I'm not sure anyone will do that for a while, knowing the Habs will most likely grab them.

We will see. I think they play better but how much better is the question.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
It’s a valid argument but at the same time, teams like Pittsburgh have even without their top 2 guns for stretches at a time past few seasons and they still manage to be competitive most of the time.

Missing 2 top-4D and true starting goaltender hurts, and I’d argue more than losing two top centers on your team, but this is all on management.

why are you saying this as if they are ONLY missing a goalie and 2 top-4D.
We Legit had some of our ECHL playing in the NHL at some point. We missed 22 players and played games anyway. Remove 22 players from any club and I can promise you that none of them will be competitive. Half of them came back and the season was already gone to shit, so why bother. Meanwhile, the other Half of the team is still injured, it's a complete shitshow

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
This really is above and beyond bad. I never would have expected anything even remotely close to this level of suck. It's actually been pretty amusing, laughing at how bad my team has become.

I audibly snorted when I saw the final score yesterday.

Reactions: Habs13

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

It could also be telling about summer recovery time for a team not talent as Tampa. They look exhausted from day 1 of the training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad