HF Habs: Current Standings Thread: Wrong Way for Wright (New Management edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We move into the 2nd half of the season with new hands on the tank's steering wheel.

Trade Deadline: March 21

Players likely to move: Chiarot, Kulak, Lehkonen

Ground Rules for this thread:
• This is the thread where you can cheer against your Habs to improve their draft position. Want to tank? This is your sanctuary.

• If you root against the Habs in GDTs or other threads on the Habs board, you may be warned for trolling.

• Don't bring your anti-tank arguments here or you may be warned for trolling.

• Tank you for your support.

standing.PNG

Tank Simulator :

2022 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I couldn't help but think the Habs would rebound to some degree and play closer to .500 hockey and it appears that with guys coming back, it might happen. However, even it if does, it projects as 60-65 pts in the end. That's a top 5 pick with a solid lottery shot. I'd be more nervous if it was the Bedard draft.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I couldn't help but think the Habs would rebound to some degree and play closer to .500 hockey and it appears that with guys coming back, it might happen. However, even it if does, it projects as 60-65 pts in the end. That's a top 5 pick with a solid lottery shot. I'd be more nervous if it was the Bedard draft.

We’re giving up 40-50 shots a game. There is no help coming on defence and we’re running with our 3rd and 4th string goaltenders. I don’t think much is going to change honestly.

Edit: I guess Ed could come back. But the whole system is a tire fire and he’s not a game breaker.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We’re giving up 40-50 shots a game. There is no help coming on defence and we’re running with our 3rd and 4th string goaltenders. I don’t think much is going to change honestly.

Edit: I guess Ed could come back. But the whole system is a tire fire and he’s not a game breaker.

Maybe. Point is even if they do better like they have been recently, it's still 60-65 pts. That's a top 5 pick in most seasons.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Keep in mind, they're most likely going to deal some key players. This won't be the team after the deadline.

Reactions: HabsForHire

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Keep in mind, they're most likely going to deal some key players. This won't be the team after the deadline.

That's another 2 months time if they make moves at the deadline. I have a hard time believing we will play sub .300 hockey for the entire season.

And who are we moving other than Chiarot and Kulak? Lehkonen? Will we get offers for guys with term? All unanswered questions

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's another 2 months time if they make moves at the deadline. I have a hard time believing we will play sub .300 hockey for the entire season.

And who are we moving other than Chiarot and Kulak? Lehkonen? Will we get offers for guys with term? All unanswered questions

Chiarot & Lehkonen seem likely to go.
Toffoli is another one, 50/50 right now.
Gallagher if not gone this year, probably gone in the off-season, his ego will have him want to go somewhere to win.
Petry doesn't even has his family here, I think if a deal is there and he can reunite his family + be away from canadian covid restrictions, he would welcome it.
One of, if not both, Allen and Price should move over the next calendar year.
Who knows about Hoffman/Edmundson.
Drouin deal is possible with retention.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Gallagher if not gone this year, probably gone in the off-season, his ego will have him want to go somewhere to win.
Petry doesn't even has his family here, I think if a deal is there and he can reunite his family + be away from canadian covid restrictions, he would welcome it.

I'd move all of those guys and move, if possible. Say Byron and Edmunson come back before the trade deadline, for example. Then again, Hughes did say you need vets for a rebuild so who knows what he does.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd move all of those guys and move, if possible. Say Byron and Edmunson come back before the trade deadline, for example. Then again, Hughes did say you need vets for a rebuild so who knows what he does.

The way that I look at it is this - Petry, Gallagher and Price have money and term. Those trades would require salary coming back, so we can get vets into the room that way.

The second thing is UFA, if we have space from the trades we can sign some washed vets to more money as part of the rebuild to entice them here for 2-3 years as we transition out of rebuild and into contention

Reactions: Schwang and Habs13

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The way that I look at it is this - Petry, Gallagher and Price have money and term. Those trades would require salary coming back, so we can get vets into the room that way.

The second thing is UFA, if we have space from the trades we can sign some washed vets to more money as part of the rebuild to entice them here for 2-3 years as we transition out of rebuild and into contention

All good points - especially the UFA part, where we could sign guys to one year deals instead of having to deal with the crazy term guys like Armia have. Thing that worries me though, is all the NMT/NMC clauses Bergevin handed out to these guys. Even Drouin has one.

Reactions: First Line

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Watching Habs fan fret about moving out of the top 5 draft slot after they’ve won 8 games in 40 and haven’t won 2 consecutive to this point all year and down to their 3rd and 4th string goalies for the foreseeable future…

Is turning into one of my favorite activities lol

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Habs with;

NMC - Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, Price
NMT - Petry, Chariot, Edmunson

Are these guys even movable? Perrault, Pacquette, Armia, Wideman, Savard, Kulak.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

They need to shed CAP money and get as much for some players. In the possibility of getting 3 1st picks is there!

Reactions: Habs13

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
upload_2022-1-24_9-37-17.png

TeamPoints in Relation to HabsGames in hand
Montreal--
Arizona+1-
Ottawa+4+5
Seattle+7-1
Buffalo+10-1
Philadelphia+11-1
Islanders+11+6
New Jersey+12-
Chicago+14-1
Columbus+14+1
Vancouver+17-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Results for tonight:
Flyers W
Habs L
Blackhawks W

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

There's almost no one who hasn't been mentioned as possibly getting moved. Besides, the best they've mustered in the last few games is what, a win and a couple loser points? And that 99% because of goaltending. I wouldn't expect this team to go on any sort of run.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016

If Gorton/Hughes are confident they can sign Letang in the off-season then sure unload Petry for a good return = 1st + Grade A prospect. Don't sell low just to get rid of him.

When Dom Dom will leave at season's end, Petry will go back to his 40 point pace I'm sure...

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Gorton/Hughes are confident they can sign Letang in the off-season then sure unload Petry for a good return = 1st + Grade A prospect. Don't sell low just to get rid of him.

When Dom Dom will leave at season's end, Petry will go back to his 40 point pace I'm sure...

You'd be selling Petry because he's not going to be an effective defenseman at his cap hit by the time the team is ready to compete again, I don't care at all about Letang and don't see a reason why he would leave Pittsburgh in the twilight of his career to be on a rebuilding team.

You dont' trade Petry for less than a 1st +; but you have to consider the human element here and Petry is away from his family. I don't think his value has dropped significantly because his play hasn't been good this year, it hasn't been good for anyone in Montreal and Petry has the added family dynamics piece.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
All good points - especially the UFA part, where we could sign guys to one year deals instead of having to deal with the crazy term guys like Armia have. Thing that worries me though, is all the NMT/NMC clauses Bergevin handed out to these guys. Even Drouin has one.
I don't think the ntc or nmc clauses will hamper them in this situation. Guys want to win and they want a cup. For most of the vets, it's not going to happen if they stay. I would think most wouldn't want to stay for a rebuild and miss their shot.
I know Toffoli said he'd stay, but if they can turn him into something better via trade, I'm fine with that. Anderson too. I love what he brings, but hes always hurt.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I hope we get 3-4 firsts, and then keep them all in the minors for an additional year to develop. Any player being drafted this year will have lost development time anyway.

Then, hopefully, next year we are in the lottery convo again, and after that, we should have a bunch of young prospects getting ready to join the team.

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
Habs with;

NMC - Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, Price
NMT - Petry, Chariot, Edmunson

Are these guys even movable? Perrault, Pacquette, Armia, Wideman, Savard, Kulak.

Everyone but Anderson agrees to waive. Perreault might get a 6th or 7th. Paquette nothing, Armia too much term, Wideman a late pick, Savard junk nobody trading for him, Kulak definitely get something. Maybe a 3rd

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I don't think the ntc or nmc clauses will hamper them in this situation. Guys want to win and they want a cup. For most of the vets, it's not going to happen if they stay. I would think most wouldn't want to stay for a rebuild and miss their shot.
I know Toffoli said he'd stay, but if they can turn him into something better via trade, I'm fine with that. Anderson too. I love what he brings, but hes always hurt.

I hope you're right. I'd be reluctant to move Anderson because I think he fits the new vision for the team and has a unique set of skills. Toffolli, I wish was a better skater, but I might not move him either unless the return qas too much to turn a blind eye to.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I hope you're right. I'd be reluctant to move Anderson because I think he fits the new vision for the team and has a unique set of skills. Toffolli, I wish was a better skater, but I might not move him either unless the return qas too much to turn a blind eye to.
Anderson seems to be hurt all the time. He was a game time decision last game after being off for a while. If this is par for the course, best to trade him. I would prefer him staying if healthy though.

As for Toffoli, God he's slow. If Hughes wants a fast team, he won't be part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad