HF Habs: Current Standings Thread: Wrong Way for Wright (mid-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Wait didn't the trade we make with the Yotes stipulate that whoever has the HIGHER pick in the top 10 goes to the Habs? So if lets say both the Habs and Yotes are drawing for 1st overall even if the Yotes win that pick goes to us anyways? That's how I saw the trade unless someone can correct me.

You’re forgetting we don’t have the rights to their pick. If they win the lottery, they’re getting first overall.

Reactions: Rapala

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Wait didn't the trade we make with the Yotes stipulate that whoever has the HIGHER pick in the top 10 goes to the Habs? So if lets say both the Habs and Yotes are drawing for 1st overall even if the Yotes win that pick goes to us anyways? That's how I saw the trade unless someone can correct me.

Lol I wish!

That would have essentially been Dvorak + 1st upgrade for a 2nd.

Instead its whichever of the Habs two picks (CAR and MTL) is better (closer to 1) the Habs keep (As long as one is in bottom 10). Has nothing to do with AZ pick.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Lol I wish!

That would have essentially been Dvorak + 1st upgrade for a 2nd.

Instead its whichever of the Habs two picks (CAR and MTL) is better (closer to 1) the Habs keep (As long as one is in bottom 10). Has nothing to do with AZ pick.
Yeah for some reason my mind was thinking the pick was between us and the Yotes I totally forgot about the Canes and losing KK and my dumb ass got all excited LOL!! Yeah ok the trade makes more sense now for the Yotes.

Reactions: Canadienna

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
@MarkovsKnee, re: Gally not wanting to be part of a rebuild. He didn’t outright say it, but it can be inferred I suppose:

Canadiens' Brendan Gallagher has high praise for Marc Bergevin | Montreal Gazette

The GM put our organization in a tough spot starting with Price. He had to pay far above market value with ridiculous term just to keep the player around. He did the same with Gallagher and pissed off Danault while doing so. There was always a stink associated with those contracts. Fortunately for Price he still has some redeeming qualities to his game. Gallagher not so much. This kind of confirms what many of us felt all along. The players went all in on a couple of gifted post seasons but realize they can't compete in a normal setting. The No Where Land Effect.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Yup MB pretty much f***ed this team because of some cinderella run. This team should have been dismantled as soon as MB heard that both Weber AND Price were basically out for the season. How can anyone with half a brain think a team would function without there number one defender and goalie is beyond me. It is also kind of sad that MB was crying not to lose Gallagher so he got his fat contract. MB was great when it came to trading but anything else was just terrible. You cannot have a emotional attachment to a player when you are the head of a hockey team especially when it comes to the Habs.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I would try to grab Edmonton’s 2023 1st rounder. They’re a McDrai injury away from being a bottom team again.
I wish more GMs would have forward thinking like this.. I think Gorton is that type of mind - as many of his trades have 'side bets" like if 2 rounds of playoffs then 2nd rounder becomes 1st (type of thing). Unless Im unaware, why have no GMs ever tried to figure out team cycles --- and say hey EDM we'll give you price now for 2 x 1st rnders (2031, 2032)?

Reactions: Rapala and amethyst

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
We are so unlikely to get Wright. Even if we manage to out-tank the Coyotes, we’ll have a 1 in 6 shot (16.6%) at getting the 1st overall pick. It’s much more likely someone else gets it. We can’t get too attached to the idea of Shane Wright in Montreal.

If we stay at 31st, we’re guaranteed a top 4 pick which is great.

Last is actually about 1 in 4 to get 1st overall it's the 16% + 12-16's odds of winning 1st because they cant win it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We are so unlikely to get Wright. Even if we manage to out-tank the Coyotes, we’ll have a 1 in 6 shot (16.6%) at getting the 1st overall pick. It’s much more likely someone else gets it. We can’t get too attached to the idea of Shane Wright in Montreal.

If we stay at 31st, we’re guaranteed a top 4 pick which is great.

2022 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

Reactions: Rapala

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mean, for now we have like 2 to 4 games in hand and we're still 2nd last. I highly doubt we ever get passed the bottom 5 lol, especially if we trade some pieces like Chiarot, Gally or Toffoli

Need as big of a buffer as possible for the time between Price's return and when we start selling.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The good news (and the most important for us), is that between us and the 10th place team (we keep our pick if it's in the top 10), there's a 10 point difference and the 10th place team (New Jersey) has 3 games in hand. So even if New Jersey plays for .500 in those 3 games, that would give them a 13 point cushion over us.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Serious question, are the 2021-2022 Coyotes one of the worst NHL teams ever? I mean, we stink too, but we also have a ton of injuries and haven't had our best player most nights (Price) since the start of the season.

Reactions: rahad

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Serious question, are the 2021-2022 Coyotes one of the worst NHL teams ever? I mean, we stink too, but we also have a ton of injuries and haven't had our best player most nights (Price) since the start of the season.
Those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. We are just as bad.

Reactions: amethyst

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

One of the worst non-expansion teams yes.. but Buffalo the year they got Eichel was worse, easily.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Be pretty cool we draft Shane Wright. Then draft Ty Nelson and Mateychuk in first round also. By trading Chiarot and Price for extra first picks. Then sign Bergeron and Fleury this off season.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Be pretty cool we draft Shane Wright. Then draft Ty Nelson and Mateychuk in first round also. By trading Chiarot and Price for extra first picks. Then sign Bergeron and Fleury this off season.
I don't think they're getting a first for Price. Don't be surprised if they don't get a great return for him.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I don't think we need Nelson and Mateychuk. If we have multiple firsts, Nelson should be Kasper, Mesar or Kulich.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think they're getting a first for Price. Don't be surprised if they don't get a great return for him.

It's really hard to know... on the other hand I could see a team thinking that he is the last piece of the puzzle... and if they can find a way to squeeze him in they need to. Of course the big questions are whether he wants to move on and how healthy he is... those will dictate value to a large extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad