HF Habs: Current Standings Thread: Going the Wright Way - Top 7 pick Clinched!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This is it! Season is almost done. Final 10 games. Last game is Friday, April 29th vs Florida at home.

The Standings as of April 20th:

standing.JPG

Ground Rules for this thread:
• This is the thread where you can cheer against your Habs to improve their draft position. Want to tank? This is your sanctuary.

• If you root against the Habs in GDTs or other threads on the Habs board, you may be warned for trolling.

• Don't bring your anti-tank arguments here or you may be warned for trolling.

• Tank you for your support.

Last thread had hit 100 pages and 3k posts.
A refresh

Tank Simulator :

2022 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

Last edited by a moderator:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Really? From what I was reading, I thought getting a top3 or even top 4 pick next year seems like it would be a franchise player. Is that not it?
Im not too well aversed in next year's draft asides hearing that it is supposed to be deep. But broadly I'd be disappointed in not getting Bedard just because of how good he is. Hes generational talent in my eyes.

Reactions: Redux91 and Doc5

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I disagree with that. The offer sheet did cost something. As an organization we lost a lot of credibility that day. We were the laughing stock of the NHL for a good week. If you gonna make an offer sheet make a serious one not one where you pretend to try but really you're not.
The big problem was timing. Habs were put on hold on every other signing in the first week of July. Everybody blame Bergevin for that one, but I'm sure it's Molson who was representing the old school owners to face Dundon after he was vocal about bonuses and contracts structure.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I have a feeling that Price will get the start again tomorrow against the Flyers since I believe MSL and the Habs likely want to get Price a win this season and tomorrows game is their remaining best chance to make that happen this season.

This game is gonna be a Habs win but thankfully they have a little bit of a cushion between them and Seattle and Philly that it won't be the end of the world after they do win. If they also win Saturday against the Sens though then I'll start to be much more concerned.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The big problem was timing. Habs were put on hold on every other signing in the first week of July. Everybody blame Bergevin for that one, but I'm sure it's Molson who was representing the old school owners to face Dundon after he was vocal about bonuses and contracts structure.
not to mention the offer was low.. should have added $2M annually (stay below the next tier) so it really makes Carolina think. Yes it is $2M too much, but if you are going to poach a star 1C from another franchise you better strategize about the counter attack, and make the offer to WIN not just appease the Agent. It was an easy match, and actually did CAR a favour.

Reactions: Nicko999

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
To pass the Flyers, they need 7 points and the Flyers to lose all their games in regulation.

Can't see the Habs going a minimum of 3-1-1 the rest of the way.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
To pass the Flyers, they need 7 points and the Flyers to lose all their games in regulation.

Can't see the Habs going a minimum of 3-1-1 the rest of the way.
The Flyers still have games against 4 non playoff teams in the Habs, Hawks, Jets, and Sens left to play yet so you'd think they will eventually fluke into another win. I hope so anyway.

Reactions: Tuggy

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I have a feeling that Price will get the start again tomorrow against the Flyers since I believe MSL and the Habs likely want to get Price a win this season and tomorrows game is their remaining best chance to make that happen this season.

This game is gonna be a Habs win but thankfully they have a little bit of a cushion between them and Seattle and Philly that it won't be the end of the world after they do win. If they also win Saturday against the Sens though then I'll start to be much more concerned.
Not sure the Habs will want Carey to play back-to-back games. Look at what happened to Allen by overplaying him. Carey hasn’t suited up for a year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not implying KK is why they lose, I'm implying they could have added a bunch of better pieces to fill their weaknesses at the deadline if they didn't have him. They're a good team but I don't think anyone has them penciled for a cup this year and they've got a bunch of good players hitting UFA so this was the year to "push" and KK prevented them from doing that. I think they'll be fighting for a wildcard spot next year after they lose all these players this offseason.
Well you said that signing KK to that contract is going to bite them in the ass when they lose in 2nd round.

the 1yr 6.1M deal they gave to KK to pry him away from the Habs didn't prevent them from doing anyting.

That's really what? less than 3M that he would have received if he signed a bridge deal, give or take.

Not sure how much better they could have been or what more they could have added with that amount of money.

One really has nothing to do with the other...the Canes finished 4th overall.

Hard to argue they did a single thing wrong in the offseason leading up to this one.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not sure the Habs will want Carey to play back-to-back games. Look at what happened to Allen by overplaying him. Carey hasn’t suited up for a year.
I agree 100% but if Price feels good I still expect him to get the start tomorrow. I just think they want to get him a win this season and this game will be their best chance.

I hope they do start Monty though but I wouldn't be even a little surprised if Price starts tomorrows game.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Exactly. Bottom 5 teams plus the added rule that you can’t get the 1st overall more than twice in a certain time period.

I mean it’s a farce to watch the worst Habs season in history and maybe only get the 5th or 6th pick out of it.
Just need to make a few changes - as I believe the lottery is the best thing to keep teams from strategic tanking.
1- You can only go up 5 spots if you win the lottery. (a 7th+ place team should not be getting the 1oa)
2- can only select 1oa (once every 10 years) regardless of lottery win or not.
3- Lottery needs to be done live - if FIFA can create the entire World Cup groups Live - then the NHL should be doing the same. I am very skeptical of those placards Daly holds up, and find it very fishy.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Aside from Bedard and Michkov, I'm not sure how the guys after them look. I recall people saying this Wright draft was deep too a few years ago. You just never know until you know.
Some scouts/whatever talk up every prospect as though they will be first line/top pairing players. It's just like on this board where players are 3 years out are all going to hit their ceiling and the guys in the AHL have already busted. You don't know how good a draft is until 8-10 years after it's passed.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I agree 100% but if Price feels good I still expect him to get the start tomorrow. I just think they want to get him a win this season and this game will be their best chance.

I hope they do start Monty though but I wouldn't be even a little surprised if Price starts tomorrows game.
he doesnt need a win --- and I dont want him to start against the Flyers. Let him play against the leagues best, we're not a charity and he's a #1 HoFer. moral victory be damned.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Aside from Bedard and Michkov, I'm not sure how the guys after them look. I recall people saying this Wright draft was deep too a few years ago. You just never know until you know.
Top 7 are all fantastic. Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Dvorsky, Benson, Ritchie and Yager are all great looking prospects.

Reactions: SOLR

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Really? From what I was reading, I thought getting a top3 or even top 4 pick next year seems like it would be a franchise player. Is that not it?
It's true, but there is also a good chance you are grabbing a generational player at #1.
The difference between generational and franchise is huge so you absolutely want the 1st overall.

Reactions: Doc5

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
And if the whole Florida team gets mono next year, maybe another lottery pick.

Yeah it's a bonus. I'd expect a late pick, but we never know in hockey. Like the trade of Erik Karsson, SJ put a bad season and give a high pick to Senators (Tim Stutzle).

All trades made by Hughes//Gorton, looks all pretty good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Some scouts/whatever talk up every prospect as though they will be first line/top pairing players. It's just like on this board where players are 3 years out are all going to hit their ceiling and the guys in the AHL have already busted. You don't know how good a draft is until 8-10 years after it's passed.

The draft is important and the top 10 is usually where the top end talent comes. But this business of trying to project age 14-17 guys forward is a very tough business. About 2 years ago, the Wright draft was expected to be deep and here we are today.

The reality is that the biggest growth is from age 18-21 for most guys (after the draft). That's when you unusually know what you got of have a better idea. This playing expert on kids from 14-17 is nonsense. Bedard and Michkov do appear to be the real deal though

Reactions: dcyhabs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If I'm looking at draft odds right, Arizona has even less chance to win 1 overall, and if we are second we would have a higher chance than before by 1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad