Current Sens: Better or worse than 92-93 team?

PEIslander

Apr 20, 2013
I think it might be pretty close. They had 10 wins 4 ties and 24 points that year. D-man Norm Maciver had a pretty amazing year with 63 points but was a brutal -46. Centre Jamie Baker wasn't too bad with 48 points. Right now our top two guys are a centre and defenceman again, currently sitting at 47 and 41 points. The plus minus doesn't look as bad this year, but it has to be getting worse since the trade deadline.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Current Sens - Better, and it's not even close to being close.

I don't care what the stats say - you needed to have seen that inaugural team to appreciate how truly god-awful they were.

Imagine this team, then take away Chabot, White, Duclair, Balcers... basically take away any semblance of skill outside of one token Sylvain Turgeon-caliber player. Imagine all of your defencemen being no better than Boro. Imagine 3 lines worth of Zach Smith. Imagine a roster full of almost zero players with any kind of future - a team where everyone is either 28 years old and only still in the league because they are just barely good enough to play for the 2nd worst team in the league's history, and young players so bad that the other NHL teams didn't bother to protect them even though they had like TWICE the number of protection slots that current exhibition teams can pull from.

I know we like to harp on how bad this team is, and yes it is bad, but I need to reiterate - the 1992-93 team was exponentially worse, and it's not close.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Easily the worst Senators team in the last 20 years, but I can't imagine they're as bad as those expansion years. I started following in 96, so I missed out on those glory years.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The 92' Sens expansion team really didn't have anywhere close to what Vegas got coming into the league 2 years ago. You were basically building from scratch. Vegas could pick 30 decent/good assets right away. Sens and Tampa had to pick among waivers quality players.

The current Sens team is the result of a really big financial purge, only contracts who wouldn't return good assets are still there (to reach the floor next year) like Ryan, Smith, Boedker, Anderson...

It's a basically a prospect pool and a few average vets. Still much better than what the Sens began with. Thread can be closed.

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Ooof that inaugural team was tough to watch. Darren Rumble seemed like the only player who might stick around. When the Sens got the puck in the offensive zone, if they could get a 2nd shot off before the defense cleared it, it was a highlight worth talking about after the game. Bad as it seems now, we've been lower.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

Fair point, but any team who had the 1st overall was gonna take Daigle, just like Colorado is gonna use our pick to take Jack Hughes.

And I know its not guaranteed that the AVs will get the 1st overall with our pick, but come one, that would be just our luck. At this point, I WANT to see that happen, just because of hope that it'll make Melnyk's head explode with rage.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Ooof that inaugural team was tough to watch. Darren Rumble seemed like the only player who might stick around. When the Sens got the puck in the offensive zone, if they could get a 2nd shot off before the defense cleared it, it was a highlight worth talking about after the game. Bad as it seems now, we've been lower.
They somehow only managed to get shutout a few times though, from looking at the stats. Scoring really was high back then lol.

But yeah no the current team is miles ahead of the inaugural sens

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Current team not as bad as the expansion team but the expansion team had hope going for it which the current incarnation does not. I felt more hope cheering that expansion team on then I do today.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Current team not as bad as the expansion team but the expansion team had hope going for it which the current incarnation does not. I felt more hope cheering that expansion team on then I do today.

What about Mel Bridgeman inspired hope? Repeatedly drafting ineligible players in the expansion draft? The management team the first season was more inept than Dorion.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The current Sens remind me of an expansion team 2-3 years in. Where they have an atrocious base roster, but have a few good young stars because they've picked high for a few seasons.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
What about Mel Bridgeman inspired hope? Repeatedly drafting ineligible players in the expansion draft? The management team the first season was more inept than Dorion.
Yep. And then they 'promoted' Randy Sexton, another mistake. It wasn't until they brought in Gauthier and Martin that there was finally a feeling of running things like a proper NHL squad, for me anyway, although it was good having Ferguson around. Until then it was all a joke really.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Mel Bridgman was the GM and not the owner and could be fired should his decisions not turn out to be correct as he was. Gene was good for a few years until he lost a portion of his wealth in his divorce and decreased his income further with various fraudulent activities. You don't see a difference as far as hope is concerned when having a lunatic owner versus GM?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Mel Bridgman was the GM and not the owner and could be fired should his decisions not turn out to be correct as he was. Gene was good for a few years until he lost a portion of his wealth in his divorce and decreased his income further with various fraudulent activities. You don't see a difference as far as hope is concerned when having a lunatic owner versus GM?
Trying to draft a deceased player was pretty telling

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Yep. And then they 'promoted' Randy Sexton, another mistake. It wasn't until they brought in Gauthier and Martin that there was finally a feeling of running things like a proper NHL squad, for me anyway, although it was good having Ferguson around. Until then it was all a joke really.

Randy wasn't bad. He never gave in to the media pressure for quick fixes. He had a plan to build through the draft. He was just inexperienced in his role and had a Tim Murray like surliness to him that didn't win him any fans.

Reactions: topshelf15

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Firestone didn't have the money to get the rink built after all the NDP government interference and provided an excellent example for Melnyk with his drunken Daigle talk. Looking back, there was little hope if Firestone had continued to own the franchise.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad