Current Sens: Better or worse than 92-93 team?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Current team not as bad as the expansion team but the expansion team had hope going for it which the current incarnation does not. I felt more hope cheering that expansion team on then I do today.

That hope turned into a bankrupt team who’s future was in doubt

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Firestone didn't have the money to get the rink built after all the NDP government interference and provided an excellent example for Melnyk with his drunken Daigle talk. Looking back, there was little hope if Firestone had continued to own the franchise.
Since day one money issues due to lack of funds from ownership has plagued this team...We really should have a couple of cups in the bank by now,the players this team has had and the money motivated moves they have made ..We have never been able to take advantage of some of the great talent we have produced

We were told things would be different with a cap and the self appointed saviour in EM ,but its all been exactly the same ....The same tired BS excuses,are given and the exact same blame put towards the fansbase...I have been with the team since day 1 and can tell you younger guys ...Leeder is right when he said the golden years have not yet arrived for this franchise

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Firestone didn't have the money to get the rink built after all the NDP government interference and provided an excellent example for Melnyk with his drunken Daigle talk. Looking back, there was little hope if Firestone had continued to own the franchise.

Fair enough, Curious if you truly are more hopeful for future success today then during the inaugural season?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yep, do you think it has nothing to do with bringing the NHL to the city?
Or could it be that World Heart ,the source of his wealth went south..Or was in the process of it...Stop talking out your ass here

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Or could it be that World Heart ,the source of his wealth went south..Or was in the process of it...Stop talking out your ass here

Ummm. So that means the team itself cannot support itself?
Oh that’s right, your the one crack talking

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ummm. So that means the team itself cannot support itself?
Oh that’s right, your the one crack talking
It likely could support itself, if it didnt have to be the primary donation box for failed billionaires....Your turn

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Randy wasn't bad. He never gave in to the media pressure for quick fixes. He had a plan to build through the draft. He was just inexperienced in his role and had a Tim Murray like surliness to him that didn't win him any fans.
But he was a business man, not a hockey guy. His hockey resume was paper thin, even compared to Mel Bridgeman. He wasn't the right guy for the job; the Kudelski trade, Daigle contract, and hiring of Sparky Allison are some of the moves that lends credence to that. Its no coincidence the franchise began to trend upwards once he (and Bridgeman) were relieved of their duties and legit hockey personnel were hired. Just like we need now.

Last edited:
Reactions: topshelf15

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
But he was a business man, not a hockey guy. His hockey resume was paper thin, even compared to Mel Bridgeman. He wasn't the right guy for the job; the Kudelski trade, Daigle contract, and hiring of Sparky Allison are some of the moves that lends credence to that. Its no coincidence the franchise began to trend upwards once he (and Bridgeman) were relieved of their duties and legit hockey personnel were hired. Just like we need now.

The Kudelski trade? I can't believe the grief he got over that. Kudelski only score 20 more goals in the NHL after he was traded. He was a 30 year old guy who got goals on bad teams. Trading him for younger players made sense except to the live-in-the-now morons in the media.

Sexton actually got another gig as an NHL GM.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
The Kudelski trade? I can't believe the grief he got over that. Kudelski only score 20 more goals in the NHL after he was traded. He was a 30 year old guy who got goals on bad teams. Trading him for younger players made sense except to the live-in-the-now morons in the media.

Sexton actually got another gig as an NHL GM.
It was a bad trade. Kudelski had 26 goals with us that year; we traded him for a player a whole 3 years younger that had 2 goals in 20 games and was out of the NHL a few seasons later, and a fringe 4th liner. Sexton was too green to be building a team from the ground up. Wrong guy at the wrong time is my point. What he did many many years later has little bearing on what we needed at the time.

Don't even get me started on Sparky.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It was a bad trade. Kudelski had 26 goals with us that year; we traded him for a player a whole 3 years younger that had 2 goals in 20 games and was out of the NHL a few seasons later, and a fringe 4th liner. Sexton was too green to be building a team from the ground up. Wrong guy at the wrong time is my point. What he did many many years later has little bearing on what we needed at the time.

It ended up being 1 older but better spare part for 2 younger spare parts. Davydov scored 28 goals the previous season with Winnipeg. He had some potential upside. Kudelski had none.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
It ended up being 1 older but better spare part for 2 younger spare parts. Davydov scored 28 goals the previous season with Winnipeg. He had some potential upside. Kudelski had none.
Yet somehow the Jets saw it fit to trade this potential that just scored 28 goals for them for a meager 4th, and Florida was willing to flip him just a few months later. Potential indeed. He was almost 27 years old when we got him. And I like how you keep dancing around Dave Allison.

You said yourself Sexton was inexperienced.

Seriously, how would you feel handing the current GM duties to someone that has never had a job in the NHL? That is what we did, and it was a mistake. I'm not knocking Randy here; he wasn't ready.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
This team is worse because the talent base is higher and the expectations were much, much higher.
Additionally, Dorion is a smarter GM than Bridgman and Eugene has the resources to paper over mistakes.
That team was just a mess from top to bottom, victim of a poor expansion pool selection and basically a "Bad News Bears" of management and coaching.

This year's team had NHL-level coaching, management and players. That is where the shame lies.
Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
That team was much worse. That being said, it's interesting to think this might be the worst team since X (clearly before our run of playoff teams in the mid 90's)

I mean, even in 93-94, the team was bad but we had Yashin (almost PPG, on his way to becoming an MVP candidate) and Daigle (hindsight proves we shouldn't have been that excited, but in the moment he was another bright spot on that roster). Although that might be kind of what we're dealing with currently with Chabot/Tkachuk.

I guess what I'm saying is that this is easily one of the 5 worst rosters this team has iced (to go along with the 92, 93, 94 and 95 teams).

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The 1992-3 team had 10 more wins then the year before
Lets see if this season team can do that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad