Current Rangers who remind you of former Rangers

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'll start.

I see a lot of Adam Graves in Ryan Callahan. Hard working. Blue collar. Goes to every inch of the ice. Gravey did most of his damage in front of the opposing net -- I think Callahan has more skill -- but both are guys who overachieved, reliably pop in 25-30 a year, and lead by example.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
hmm, interesting question. Maybe if there was some kind of project going on where we were ranking the great Rangers wingers I'd have more info..... :)

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
LOL! Glad you're getting the itch. I'm hoping mid-December I'll have the time to admin that project.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think the entire current roster reminds me of the entire 1994 roster, so therefore they are going to win the Cup this year.

newf

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
the way zucc plays reminds me of someone from the early 80s teams but I can't put a finger on who. maybe pavelich??
he would have fit right in on that brooks coached team

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Pouliot has Higgins' snakebitten hands, the size of Wolski, and the ability to take a momentum killing penalty like Voros.

Dorsett reminds me a little of Hollweg but with more skill.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Miller and Dubinsky
Stralman and Karpovtsev

That's about it, really. Everyone else is too distinct to make a direct comparison.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
Everyone try to think of the closest comparable to Zuccarello.

Uh...

Theo Fleury? About the same size. Fleury in his prime was a much better scorer, but both guys play with a bit of en edge and both find ways to create space for themselves. Zucc more of a playmaker. Always looking to find the open man.

I liken Hagelin a bit to a young Mike York. Both college guys. Smart players. Quick. Always find ways to get the puck and make a play. Hagelin obviously much more dangerous with his skating. And both guys sort of stepped into the NHL without much minor league time, were given a shot for a spot and never looked back. Hopefully Hags' career doesn't rapidly decline like York's did though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'll start.

I see a lot of Adam Graves in Ryan Callahan. Hard working. Blue collar. Goes to every inch of the ice. Gravey did most of his damage in front of the opposing net -- I think Callahan has more skill -- but both are guys who overachieved, reliably pop in 25-30 a year, and lead by example.

Yes concur.
Main difference, IMO Graves more muscle. Cally more speed.
But both similar.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
its difficult for the younger generation to compare any of our D to any former ranger lol. no one is leetch and everyone else sucked after 97.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I liken Hagelin a bit to a young Mike York. Both college guys. Smart players. Quick. Always find ways to get the puck and make a play. Hagelin obviously much more dangerous with his skating. And both guys sort of stepped into the NHL without much minor league time, were given a shot for a spot and never looked back. Hopefully Hags' career doesn't rapidly decline like York's did though.

The dominant aspect of Hagelin's game is the weakness that killed York's. Namely speed. York was never quick.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I see the Miller/Dubinsky comparison.

Less so the Callahan/Graves one, despite both being heart and soul players.

Someone once jokingly compared Stepan to Nemchinov and I think that's a solid comparison.

Surprised no one mentioned Pyatt and Jason Muzzatti. Identical players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad