Current Rangers who remind you of former Rangers

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The dominant aspect of Hagelin's game is the weakness that killed York's. Namely speed. York was never quick.

York and Zuc are somewhat similar.
Zuc has more flash.

Both just fast enough, not really good breakaway speed. Sharp passers good shooters great playmakers. York a little little bit better on d.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kreider
The raw power of Jack Egers in his shot, and strength.
But much more coordinated. and 1,000 x faster

Closest comparable seems to be early Kovalev. But CK even faster, and tougher to bring down.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
I can't help but see Erik Christensen when Pouliot is on the ice

Punxrocknyc19*

Pyatt reminds me of Brent Fedyk. does not do much of anything and is a waste and takes lazy penalties.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Kreider
The raw power of Jack Egers in his shot, and strength.
But much more coordinated. and 1,000 x faster

Closest comparable seems to be early Kovalev. But CK even faster, and tougher to bring down.

Egers was pretty fast, never thought he was slow at all. Horrible offensive instincts, though.

In the one fight I remember him in, I thought he had about the quickest hands I ever saw, but I don't know if he did much damage.

Kovalev was exceedingly tough to bring down. One of the best balanced skaters I have ever seen.

The toughest Ranger ever to bring down was Walter Tkaczuk. I saw him take a few-blind side hits from big guys, where he kept going and the other guy hit the ice. I think Espo was one of those guys.

Espo and Tim Kerr (non-Ranger) were the two toughest to move away from a crease.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Pouliot is a terrible version of Petr Nedved. If Pouliot's game was on all of the time, he'd be Nedved.

Agree with Dorsett as Hollweg ++++ skill. They both seem to be absolute psychopaths when on the ice. DD doing a better job toeing the line now though then he was in the beginning of the season.

Brassard is Christensen, but on his game more of the time.

Cam Talbot reminds me of Lundqvist :sarcasm:

EDIT - Holy ****, Petr Nedved is STILL playing!?!? 41 years old, 16 points in 18 Czech League games. Go get 'em, Slats :nod:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Pouliot is a terrible version of Petr Nedved. If Pouliot's game was on all of the time, he'd be Nedved.

Agree with Dorsett as Hollweg ++++ skill. They both seem to be absolute psychopaths when on the ice. DD doing a better job toeing the line now though then he was in the beginning of the season.

EDIT - Holy ****, Petr Nedved is STILL playing!?!? 41 years old, 16 points in 18 Czech League games. Go get 'em, Slats :nod:

I haven't seen Christensen have 1 game like Brassard did in any of the playoff games last year. That's pretty insulting to him.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

i thought nedved too because they just look similar on the ice, but nedved was just so much better.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
All things considered, Nedved was a very underrated Ranger. Huge waste of talent too. :laugh:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Egers was pretty fast, never thought he was slow at all.
Agreed, he was not lumbering slow for a big guy and actually ok or a little ok+ speed.
But not a larger Keon, or Bure.:naughty::)

Horrible offensive instincts, though.
Sad but true. Hope there is no similarity there. Don't see it so far.

In the one fight I remember him in, I thought he had about the quickest hands I ever saw, but I don't know if he did much damage.
Missed that one. Went to a fight and a hockey game broke out:laugh:

Kovalev was exceedingly tough to bring down. One of the best balanced skaters I have ever seen.
Part of the similarity.

The toughest Ranger ever to bring down was Walter Tkaczuk. I saw him take a few-blind side hits from big guys, where he kept going and the other guy hit the ice. I think Espo was one of those guys.
100% agree. He is still tops in that dept.
But unlike Kreider, who is the small jet Kovalev turboed with warp speed, and who is using that to full advantage, Tkaczuk, one of my all time favorites, did that of which we speak on raw strength and power.

Espo and Tim Kerr (non-Ranger) were the two toughest to move away from a crease.
Off the top of my head, for a non Ranger I would say it's pick 'em w/Kerr + LeClair.
Hard to say w/NYR, cause the guys who did the most damage for us from around there were guys like Ratelle and Graves, who were excellent skaters. Graves esp. I would take over Espo, cause he was way stronger and a better skater. Espo also would try to get to the center in front of and just beyond the crease as a preferred slot.
So of the crease guys that actually lived IN the crease...
I don't know, who do we have?
Stemkowski?????

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Zuc - Pavelich
Stepan - Weight
Richards - Nicholls
Brassard - Carey Wilson / Podubny love child
Hagelin - Verbeek / Duguay love child
callahan - Don Maloney / Kisio love child
McD - Patrick
MDZ - Reijo Routsalainen
Hank - Eddie
Pouliot - LaRoche
Pyatt - someone inconsequential -
Girardi - Lidster earlier years
Dorsett - McPhee
Boyle - bob brooks

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Pyatt : Grosek... Pouliot : Ciger... Brassard : Christensen... Miller : Ulmer... Dorsett : D. Ward... Masinter : Purinton... as a winger. Memories...

Zucc : York is a pretty good one, only York was REALLY fast for a while there.

EDIT - jk with Miller, Dorsett and Mashinter...

Brassard Pouliot and Pyatt have to figure it out though. AV singled out Pouliot, but MAN--Pyatt's gotta do more than stay in position.

Last edited:

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Zuc - Pavelich
Stepan - Weight
Richards - Nicholls
Brassard - Carey Wilson / Podubny love child
Hagelin - Verbeek / Duguay love child
callahan - Don Maloney / Kisio love child
McD - Patrick
MDZ - Reijo Routsalainen
Hank - Eddie
Pouliot - LaRoche
Pyatt - someone inconsequential -
Girardi - Lidster earlier years
Dorsett - McPhee
Boyle - bob brooks

You're just trying to impress people!

PS I'm impressed lol

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I see the Miller/Dubinsky comparison.

Less so the Callahan/Graves one, despite both being heart and soul players.

Someone once jokingly compared Stepan to Nemchinov and I think that's a solid comparison.

Surprised no one mentioned Pyatt and Jason Muzzatti. Identical players.

Anisimov always reminded me of Nemchinov. I think Stepan's offensive game is just higher than those two.

MZA is like the more durable lovechild of Petr Prucha and PJ Stock.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anisimov always reminded me of Nemchinov. I think Stepan's offensive game is just higher than those two.

MZA is like the more durable lovechild of Petr Prucha and PJ Stock.

I think Prucha had a better shot and MZA has far better playmaking skills. Though I don't know what happened to Prucha's shot after his rookie year.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I think Prucha had a better shot and MZA has far better playmaking skills. Though I don't know what happened to Prucha's shot after his rookie year.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too--I just couldn't think of any tiny playmakers in our history, haha. Plus Zucc and Pruch both bring energetic play.

As for Prucha's shot, I don't think it went away--I think the space to get it off went away. He was one of many who looked fantastic with all the space afforded by the post-lockout rules changes, but as those new rules were called less often, he just couldn't get himself into a position to use his shot. It was a case of a guy who had great skill but just wasn't built to be a great player.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I was thinking about that too--I just couldn't think of any tiny playmakers in our history, haha. Plus Zucc and Pruch both bring energetic play.

As for Prucha's shot, I don't think it went away--I think the space to get it off went away. He was one of many who looked fantastic with all the space afforded by the post-lockout rules changes, but as those new rules were called less often, he just couldn't get himself into a position to use his shot. It was a case of a guy who had great skill but just wasn't built to be a great player.

That's probably true. Even in 05-06, he barely ever shot, just had an unsustainable shooting percentage, when that went down and he was shooting even less he looked bad.

Punxrocknyc19*

I see the Miller/Dubinsky comparison.

Less so the Callahan/Graves one, despite both being heart and soul players.

Someone once jokingly compared Stepan to Nemchinov and I think that's a solid comparison.

Surprised no one mentioned Pyatt and Jason Muzzatti. Identical players.

i posted Brent Fedyk for Pyatt. same type of waste of a contract :sarcasm:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Agreed, he was not lumbering slow for a big guy and actually ok or a little ok+ speed.
But not a larger Keon, or Bure.:naughty::)

Sad but true. Hope there is no similarity there. Don't see it so far.

Missed that one. Went to a fight and a hockey game broke out:laugh:

Part of the similarity.

100% agree. He is still tops in that dept.
But unlike Kreider, who is the small jet Kovalev turboed with warp speed, and who is using that to full advantage, Tkaczuk, one of my all time favorites, did that of which we speak on raw strength and power.

Off the top of my head, for a non Ranger I would say it's pick 'em w/Kerr + LeClair.
Hard to say w/NYR, cause the guys who did the most damage for us from around there were guys like Ratelle and Graves, who were excellent skaters. Graves esp. I would take over Espo, cause he was way stronger and a better skater. Espo also would try to get to the center in front of and just beyond the crease as a preferred slot.
So of the crease guys that actually lived IN the crease...
I don't know, who do we have?
Stemkowski?????
Vickers. I believe his nickname was 3.5 because that was the average number of feet his goals traveled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad