Cups 2014 NHL 7-round mock draft.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
:pens The Pittsburgh Penguins select Justin Gutierrez, C, from the Tri-City Americans of the WHL :pens

I will PM the next GM.

EDIT- Can't send him a PM, get the box is full message.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Well, my selections are over with. Here is my draft, let me know what you think!

1.29) Adrian Kempe, LW, MoDo, 6’1†187 lbs, L

Trade: Letang, Sutter, and Glass for Pacioretty, McGinn, Pick No. 54

2.54) Clark Bishop, C, Cape Breton, 5’11†183 lbs, L

3.89) Jaden Lindo, RW, Owen Sound, 6’1†203 lbs, R

4.119) Hunter Smith, RW, Oshawa, 6’6†208 lbs, R

5.149) Neal Pionk, D, Sioux City, 5’11†170 lbs, R

5.150) Ryan Mantha, D, Indiana Ice, 6’5†225 lbs, R

6.179) Jake Evans, C/RW, St. Michael’s, 6’ 172 lbs, R

7.209) Justin Gutierrez, C, Tri-City, 6’4†185 lbs, L

By the way, I want to give a shout-out to Cups. Thanks for hosting this thing.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
Well, my selections are over with. Here is my draft, let me know what you think!

1.29) Adrian Kempe, LW, MoDo, 6’1†187 lbs, L

Trade: Letang, Sutter, and Glass for Pacioretty, McGinn, Pick No. 54

2.54) Clark Bishop, C, Cape Breton, 5’11†183 lbs, L

3.89) Jaden Lindo, RW, Owen Sound, 6’1†203 lbs, R

4.119) Hunter Smith, RW, Oshawa, 6’6†208 lbs, R

5.149) Neal Pionk, D, Sioux City, 5’11†170 lbs, R

5.150) Ryan Mantha, D, Indiana Ice, 6’5†225 lbs, R

6.179) Jake Evans, C/RW, St. Michael’s, 6’ 172 lbs, R

7.209) Justin Gutierrez, C, Tri-City, 6’4†185 lbs, L

By the way, I want to give a shout-out to Cups. Thanks for hosting this thing.

As a pens fan I would be happy as larry if we get Kempe that late in the 1st round. Not really a fan of the Letang trade though. Bishop and Lindo are two solid picks. While Smith has nice size and some potential, I feel he went a little to early. Pionk is a meh kind of pick. He is relatively high in the CSS Rankings, but I am not all that big on USHL players. Mantha is a pick I really like, same for Evans. Gutierrez is very raw and a big project, but it is also a 7th rounder...

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
As a pens fan I would be happy as larry if we get Kempe that late in the 1st round. Not really a fan of the Letang trade though. Bishop and Lindo are two solid picks. While Smith has nice size and some potential, I feel he went a little to early. Pionk is a meh kind of pick. He is relatively high in the CSS Rankings, but I am not all that big on USHL players. Mantha is a pick I really like, same for Evans. Gutierrez is very raw and a big project, but it is also a 7th rounder...

Thanks for the feedback- if you post your completed draft, I will return the favor.

In defense of the Letang trade- I think that Letang is replaceable. I am more than happy going into 2014/15 with a d corps of Martin/Scuds/Maatta/Niskanen/Bortz/Despres/Dumo. Maybe sign a cheap veteran 3rd pairing guy if you don't feel comfortable there. Getting Patches fills Sid's LW for years at a very nice cap hit. McGinn becomes a middle 6 guy with secondary scoring ability and grit. With the cap savings from the deal and the rising cap, I think we could afford a nice 3rd line C.

In defense of the Smith pick- Yeah, I was torn there. But its a late 4th, and the upside is pretty enticing.

As for Pionk- I was looking for a Shero-type defender, and I think Pionk fits the bill. Probably my least favorite pick of the draft though.

Gutierrez is a dark-horse pick of mine. Great size and willing to use it, athletic, and shows some offensive chops. Definitely a long-term guy, but I think he could be a nice pick-up.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
So :wild have finished their draft.

Had 12 picks. Lots of smaller talented players, which have a high upside. Not really happy with the lack of size among the forwards (out of 6 forwards non is taller then 6 foot). I was targeting Nejezchleb in the 7th, but when he was gone there really was not a tall forward I liked so I went with Arvidsson and Nikolishin. The fact that I drafted 5 russians is definitely a coincidence.

Brycen Martin, 22nd Overall
Nikolay Goldobin, 34th Overall
Vladimir Tkachyov, 78th Overall
Julius Bergmann, 88th Overall
Ondrej Kase, 91st Overall
Joe Hicketts, 105th Overall
Igor Shestyorkin, 161st Overall
Radel Fazleyev, 164th Overall
Gavin Bayreuther, 166th Overall
Travis Sanheim, 169th Overall
Viktor Arvidsson, 198th Overall
Ivan Nikolishin, 199th Overall

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
So :wild have finished their draft.

Had 12 picks. Lots of smaller talented players, which have a high upside. Not really happy with the lack of size among the forwards (out of 6 forwards non is taller then 6 foot). I was targeting Nejezchleb in the 7th, but when he was gone there really was not a tall forward I liked so I went with Arvidsson and Nikolishin. The fact that I drafted 5 russians is definitely a coincidence.

Brycen Martin, 22nd Overall
Nikolay Goldobin, 34th Overall
Vladimir Tkachyov, 78th Overall
Julius Bergmann, 88th Overall
Ondrej Kase, 91st Overall
Joe Hicketts, 105th Overall
Igor Shestyorkin, 161st Overall
Radel Fazleyev, 164th Overall
Gavin Bayreuther, 166th Overall
Travis Sanheim, 169th Overall
Viktor Arvidsson, 198th Overall
Ivan Nikolishin, 199th Overall

Two things I notice right off the bat- you like your upside picks, and you like your Euros!

I dig this draft, though. The size is a concern, but you have some guys here that, if they develop well, have some real potential. Getting Tkachyov in the 3rd is incredible value- one of the most offensively talented players in the draft. Goldobin in the second is also really good value.

As for reaches, I think Bergmann could have been taken later. And Arvidsson could probably just have been signed as a UDFA (though I realize that this mock does not do that).

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Surprised no one took Julien Pelletier 18g 18a 36pts and is 5'11''

I was going to pick him with my last Rd 7 pick, but I wanted to pick up the big fin

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
:flyers

Since Philly has not made their last pick in a couple days and to give this mock some closure, Philadelphia selects centre Julien Pelletier from Cape Breton with the last pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.

Good job to all who stuck with this thing and we will do another one next season.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Sorry. Forgot about this and my inbox is messed becusee of infractions in the board. Lol

Would have taken Silas Makokis playing with the saddle lake warriors in ajhl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad