Cup or Overhaul??

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Cup, but it isn't realistic.

I'd rather a flame-out that leads to an overhaul than winning just enough to pump Shero's ego into thinking he's doing things right.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'll take option B and roll the dice on multiple cups.

It's not that "yes, people have finally been fired" is more appealing to me than a Stanley Cup (it absolutely isn't), but the fine print with A...

Craig Adams is 37 as of later this week and is one of the slowest players in the NHL. That's only going to get worse each and every year. If he's playing 12 minutes a night at 42 years old and on the first PK unit, the amount of games he's going to cost the team, just by himself, is going to be ugly.

Five years older Orpik, five years older Adams, five years older Scuderi...if all of them are playing big minutes, we're talking cup this year, then lottery team for much of the rest of that time span.

I'll roll the dice with this outcome "we become legitimate contenders for the next 5 years. But no cup guarantee. Granted, we're 'contenders' now, but I mean like legitimate favorites, capable of multiple Cups," instead of winning one cup and having guys who are washed up now tank them to the very bottom of the standing using their sticks as hipcanes for the next five.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Cup, but it isn't realistic.

I'd rather a flame-out that leads to an overhaul than winning just enough to pump Shero's ego into thinking he's doing things right.

Which is why I want Philly to beat the Rangers.

1. I think even with our problems we'd still beat NY. And even if we did lose, I wouldn't see it being enough to make serious changes.

2. If we lose to Philly, the same way we've been losing if it wouldn't call for some overhaul it would certainly push us much closer to it. The media would be all over it. We've already heard much more criticism in the media this year( starting after the two losses by US in Olympics. Byslma being coach did wonders for us) and no doubt there would be a ton of pressure on the organization if we lost to Philly in same fashion.

3. Beating Philly could get the monkey off their backs. Fleury could let go of past failures. As well as the team. Getting past NY to face the Bruins( if they make it) would do nothing. Getting past the Flyers could.

Any other year I'd root for the Rangers, but not this time. Don't want the easiest path to the ECF , only to lose again and nothing being changed.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'll take option B and roll the dice on multiple cups.

It's not that "yes, people have finally been fired" is more appealing to me than a Stanley Cup (it absolutely isn't), but the fine print with A...

Craig Adams is 37 as of later this week and is one of the slowest players in the NHL. That's only going to get worse each and every year. If he's playing 12 minutes a night at 42 years old and on the first PK unit, the amount of games he's going to cost the team, just by himself, is going to be ugly.

Five years older Orpik, five years older Adams, five years older Scuderi...if all of them are playing big minutes, we're talking cup this year, then lottery team for much of the rest of that time span.

I'll roll the dice with this outcome "we become legitimate contenders for the next 5 years. But no cup guarantee. Granted, we're 'contenders' now, but I mean like legitimate favorites, capable of multiple Cups," instead of winning one cup and having guys who are washed up now tank them to the very bottom of the standing using their sticks as hipcanes for the next five.

Exactly. It's all about expectations. If I was given this scenario with the pirates for example, I'd certainly take the World Series. Just as I'm sure flyers fans would easily take it, and many other fanbases that haven't seen their teams win a cup in their lifetime. But we saw them win. We know what we have. Got the two best players in the world on this team, I wouldn't trade the rest of their careers just for 1 cup now. I'm greedy , I want 4 by the time they are done. Whether that is realistic or not. I wasn't happy with the 90s pens only getting two( injuries to mario , few other things) and I wouldn't be happy looking back on this era with them winning two. Sounds spoiled, but when you have the two players we have , expectations come with it. I want this team to be considered an all time great , not a team who had two of the best players to ever lace them up and won twice. ****ing Blackhawks have already won it twice. **** that.

And This is based on those options created . I'm not hoping they'd lose just for a change( hope if they lose, it's enough to make a change ). If they did win it all this year, then I for sure wouldn't mind keeping things the same. Thinking they could do it again. Believing Shero's comments on Bylsma ... " he's young and learning". Looking forward to that growth. And even putting up with guys like Glass and Adams.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
of course I want us to win a cup.

but I don't know if I can take watching the penguins as constructed and how they play for another 5-10 years!

Game 3 against columbus is case in point. That was not enjoyable to watch.
Really most of this series is painful.

If we flamed out and the entire coaching staff was given the boot, and we brought in a coaching staff that maximized the talent we have. I have to believe we would at the very least be in the SCF several times in the next 5 years.
(barring injuries)

The Doof Warrior

Jan 12, 2009
If we find a way to win with this roster than I say how could we overhaul it? Obviously it would take an absolute miracle for us to win it all but if we get it together with the current roster than it's possible to continue to contend. I'd say re-tool more than overhaul is what would be necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad