Cup or Overhaul??

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Obviously a cup.

However, the overhaul should have happened three years ago. Certainly after last year.

They are wasting Crosby and Malkin's prime years.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
If those are the only two options, then the Cup every time.

If we lose to Columbus, however, I do see changes being made, just not to the extreme you're suggesting in option B. I think Shero is safe, but Bylsma and Co. will be gone, as will any of the players who don't want to wear the B&VG. Beyond that, I'd imagine any other roster moves would depend on who the new coach is.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I take the guaranteed cup every day and twice on sunday. However, it's much more likely that we flame out in the first round and there's no overhaul whatsoever.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Using the kind of line of thinking going on here then none of you should be complaining one bit about Bylsma and Shero and the state of the team because we won the cup in 2009. Afterall, that makes all of the bad not exist apparently.

I guess I tend not to go for immediate gratification and instead go for the longer term investment, especially if the immediate gratification is at the expense of the other. Winning a cup right now would absolutely cement Dan Bylsma for the next 5+ years and would only serve to reinforce both Bylsma and Shero that they're right regardless of whether there was luck or lightning in a bottle involved. That means everything you hate about how the team is run right now will be reinstated and likely double downed on for your viewing enjoyment for a very long time.

Think about that.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Craig Adams and DB can be resigned for another 5 years if the Penguins win the Cup this year.

Cup>everything else.

Ok, so since we won the cup in 2009 then none of you should be complaining one bit about how the team has been an abject failure for the most part since then. I just don't get this cup win is everything line of reasoning. The night of partying is going to wear off and you're going to be stuck with a nasty Dan Bylsma hangover and you're going to regret you ever did what you did that night.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Ok, so since we won the cup in 2009 then none of you should be complaining one bit about how the team has been an abject failure for the most part since then. I just don't get this cup win is everything line of reasoning. The night of partying is going to wear off and you're going to be stuck with a nasty Dan Bylsma hangover and you're going to regret you ever did what you did that night.

The goal is the Cup. I think your hate for Bylsma is at unhealthy levels. I mean I doubt very much Bylsma/Shero are suddenly going to be better at their jobs & win the Cup but if that's an option hell yes.

I don't care who our Coach or GM is if they give us Championships.

Sorry

May 18, 2005

Hey, I'm as onboard with long term success as the next guy but sometimes you have to lay a sacrifice at the altar of ultimate victory.

We're not winning the cup, though. It would take some kind of hockey god visiting Bylsma in his sleep, purporting to melt his brain if he doesn't start to hold his favorites accountable... No, Byslma would just assume his dream wasn't executed well enough.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
People keep saying that they see Bylsma being fired if we get beaten by Columbus or don't make it far but I just don't see it.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
The goal is the Cup. I think your hate for Bylsma is at unhealthy levels. I mean I doubt very much Bylsma/Shero are suddenly going to be better at their jobs & win the Cup but if that's an option hell yes.

I don't care who our Coach or GM is if they give us Championships.

See I care about whether or not I find the team enjoyable to watch and root for. This is the most unlikeable penguins team I can remember in quite some time. It would be incredibly short sighted for me to be all happy about enduring more years of this frustrating mess all because they happened to catch fire for a month and a half.

But I am not the kind of person that gets caught up in the mystic of cup wins. A team wins each year, if it's my team great, if it's not oh well. It's a long season and I just hope it's an enjoyable ride. Last year the Pirates didnt win the World Series but holy crap was that a great season. Boston won it but frankly I don't give a damn, it didnt take away any enjoyment I got out of the Pirates.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
People keep saying that they see Bylsma being fired if we get beaten by Columbus or don't make it far but I just don't see it.

I tend to agree with you. I feel that Bylsma has much more job security than many of us want to believe. We see from coaching to management to ownership they're all on board. The team is financially successful (I believe) and is essentially competitive each year. There would be a media crapstorm as Bylsma is still regarded as a good coach amongst them. I think there needs to be a season of them missing the playoffs completely to get him fired, I honestly do. I almost threw up as a typed that but it's going to take a lot.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Hey, I'm as onboard with long term success as the next guy but sometimes you have to lay a sacrifice at the altar of ultimate victory.

We're not winning the cup, though. It would take some kind of hockey god visiting Bylsma in his sleep, purporting to melt his brain if he doesn't start to hold his favorites accountable... No, Byslma would just assume his dream wasn't executed well enough.

I am just approaching this thread as if the option was given that we could choose either one. Either a cup, or an complete team overhaul. One would provide short term enjoyment followed by years of grief the other would provide years of enjoyment with many potential cup wins on it's own.

Winning the cup for the penguins right now would be a pyrrhic victory. You'll be celebrating and then the realization of everything that has driven you absolutely nuts about the team for the last few years will be amplified and have no reason whatsoever to stop.

Frankly both options are horribly unlikely and I'd even go out on a limb and suggest a cup win is much more likely than a complete overhaul. There's too many ego's on the team and I doubt any of them are willing to question their judgement.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
See I care about whether or not I find the team enjoyable to watch and root for. This is the most unlikeable penguins team I can remember in quite some time. It would be incredibly short sighted for me to be all happy about enduring more years of this frustrating mess all because they happened to catch fire for a month and a half.

But I am not the kind of person that gets caught up in the mystic of cup wins. A team wins each year, if it's my team great, if it's not oh well. It's a long season and I just hope it's an enjoyable ride. Last year the Pirates didnt win the World Series but holy crap was that a great season. Boston won it but frankly I don't give a damn, it didnt take away any enjoyment I got out of the Pirates.

I care about that, too, but I don't think they are winning the Cup unless they make massive philosophical and personnel changes. So, I really don't see it as signing myself up for a lifetime of "more of the same."

They won't win playing/managing like this.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I would have gladly accepted a couple years without winning the Cup if it was because management was actually assembling a roster to win one. The problem is that the past handful of years have been write-offs, and this team - as it is constructed - is no closer to winning it all. If an overhaul would actually follow, then I would gladly watch this dumpster fire flameout to the Jackets.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
I would have gladly accepted a couple years without winning the Cup if it was because management was actually assembling a roster to win one. The problem is that the past handful of years have been write-offs, and this team - as it is constructed - is no closer to winning it all. If an overhaul would actually follow, then I would gladly watch this dumpster fire flameout to the Jackets.

It's because we had almost the worst situations, great regular season success followed by playoff disappointment. A coach getting an award and the management and coaching staff being seen in the eyes of the media and the hockey world as something very good hence why they were tapped to run Team America (into the ground).

If instead of one of those playoff collapses the team pulls a Buffalo Sabres for one season we might of had a completely different team right now.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
What this team needs to do is sign more veterans in the off season and during the draft get all defensemen... :help:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
No brainer if given the options on the table infront of me, the cup. 10 times out of 10 no matter the conditions cup everytime... BUT... That being said. I do not think this team in any shape or form is built to win it this year. And I believe the duo of BD and Fleury need to be moved out of town... And I have been a stern Shero defender up to this point. But his untouchable status with me has become very suspect. No one except for Crosby, Malkin, Bennett, Mattaa, and Neal are safe in my opinion going forward in the organization.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Anyone know the odds of Bylsma keeping his job if the Pens bow out in the 1st round?

Youd have to think Shero would be worried about his own job security if this happens. I doubt very much a man as smart as Shero (have what ever opinions you want of him as a GM, but you do not rise to the status of a NHL team as a GM if you are not a smart individual) would hitch his wagon to Blysma knowing the odds of himself falling out of favor with ownership and ending up side by side with Blysma under the guillotine by not firing him.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Youd have to think Shero would be worried about his own job security if this happens. I doubt very much a man as smart as Shero (have what ever opinions you want of him as a GM, but you do not rise to the status of a NHL team as a GM if you are not a smart individual) would hitch his wagon to Blysma knowing the odds of himself falling out of favor with ownership and ending up side by side with Blysma under the guillotine by not firing him.

Shero has caused just as many if not more of the problems we have on this team than Bylsma. Most of the frustration is about Bylsma playing Shero signed players over more talented younger players. How does Shero aid in that? He signs older washed up vets to further block those younger Dmen. Whether it's Eaton or Scuderi now it's all been the same. He kept on Craig Adams, he signed Tanner Glass and well you can give him a mulligan for one season but after seeing how horrible that worked out he did nothing to remove him from the roster. Joe Morrow for Brendan Morrow? uggh that one still pisses me off. Going all in with Iginla and then watching his prized coach laughingly use him as a LW. Then throws money at Dupuis long term while Iggy scores 30 goals with the Bruins.

All this is just the more recent stuff. He, like Bylsma has ridden a cup win (with Craig Patrick players) for all it's worth.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Shero has caused just as many if not more of the problems we have on this team than Bylsma. Most of the frustration is about Bylsma playing Shero signed players over more talented younger players. How does Shero aid in that? He signs older washed up vets to further block those younger Dmen. Whether it's Eaton or Scuderi now it's all been the same. He kept on Craig Adams, he signed Tanner Glass and well you can give him a mulligan for one season but after seeing how horrible that worked out he did nothing to remove him from the roster. Joe Morrow for Brendan Morrow? uggh that one still pisses me off. Going all in with Iginla and then watching his prized coach laughingly use him as a LW. Then throws money at Dupuis long term while Iggy scores 30 goals with the Bruins.

All this is just the more recent stuff. He, like Bylsma has ridden a cup win (with Craig Patrick players) for all it's worth.

I agree with you on most things with that post, but you misunderstand I am not absolving Shero of anything, as much saying he wouldn't make himself a sacrificial lamb if he knew firing Blysma would save him. He may have made many questionable GM choices... But to think he would be dumb enough to volunteer himself for unemployment along with Blysma when firing Blysma would save him... Id be and epic surprised if that was his choice was all I was saying.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Who cares what anyone would rather see. Wishes is for fishes. What you're most likely to see:

1) Another first round where we squeak by a mediocre opponent, followed by
2) Either another implosion vs. Philly in the second round, or another Bean Town ass-kicking.
3) Another Shero back-patting session where he reminds us how proud he is of Bylsma and his group, cuz gee it's just not that easy getting to the EC Finals these days.

Second most likely: the Bylsma ****-canning thing with at least one good player kicked to the curb (probably Letang).

Third most likely: massive overhaul by Mario and Burkle with all but Sid, Geno, Kunitz, Neal, Bennett, probably Vitale and young stud D saved from the onslaught.

There is no ****ing way we're getting close to the Cup this year. Almost the entire Western bracket is better than us and so is Boston, for starters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad