Boston Bruins Cup or Bust?

Do the Bruins need to win the Stanley Cup in order for this season to be considered a success?

• Yes

Votes: 126 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 32 20.3%

• Total voters

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Pretty simple, boys and girls.

Do the Bruins need to win the Cup in order for you to consider this season a success?
For me, its cup or bust every year regardless of what the "plan" is.

no one wears this thing to games...
1678197930746.png

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This team (bruins management / players) are giving it their all.

This fan would be extremely disappointed with no cup ... the cup quest won't be easy with the Canes, Devils, and Avs hanging around and always need puck luck and health/durability of key players.

Anything is possible and unless I see complete lack of effort I will be proud of the team working their arses off all season.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
And sometimes the best team doesn't win, but the freshest team wins. Some years, I can tell early in the finals that one of the teams is simply exhausted and won't win. Sometimes injuries play a large role in that. 2013 is a great example. If Krug doesn't pass the puck across his own blue line coming out of the zone in Period 3 of Game 1, with da Broons up 3-1 and in total control of the game, they would have swept Chicago. Even if K-Dawg had scored in the 3rd OT, it would not have mattered. It was playing 3 OTs that killed the team, and then playing 2 OTs (IIRC) in Game 2 (winning), and another OT in Game 4. That was almost 2 extra games and it took an enormous toll on the team, especially Chara, Seids, and Bergy. The two late goals in Game 6 saved the team from an embarrassing Game 7 loss.

This may be my last good chance to see another cup winner, given that this team goes 3-4 decades between cups. 1941 to 1970, then 1972 to 2011. What is that, 3 cups in 82, 83 years?

Look at my projected lineup for next year:

GUllmark 35Swayman 1
LDGrzelcyk 48Lindholm 27Forbort 28Lohrei
RDMcAvoy 73Carlo 25Zboril 67Reilly 6
LWHall 71Marchand 63Frederic 11Greer 10
CZacha 18Coyle 13Beecher 19Kopanen 45
RWPastrnak 88DeBrusk 74LysellMcLaughlin 26

Win or Bust.
It won't be that next year for sure.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
They're not gonna fall off a cliff, even if they won't be contenders for a bit going forward.

But this season is absolutely Cup or Bust. They're head and shoulders above everyone in the league, and losing 4 of 7 to anyone at this point is a massive disappointment and underachievement.

The only exception I'll make is a significant injury... And even one of those gives me pause. Looking at this lineup, they should be able to withstand one injury. Obviously a core guy would hurt, but they're deep enough. So I think it'd take multiple injuries for me to lean on that as an excuse.

I'm praying for health, because I do think mentally they are all in a good place. They're playing great, and they know the stakes. I need another Cup, and another title for Boston. All of the Red Sox and Pats rings were nice, but hockey is #1 and they have been so close to a second or third cup in these last 13-15 years.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Voted no for the simple fact that before this season started I thought we would even make the playoffs. I feel pretty damn spoiled by the hockey this team is playing and that I am witnessing night in and night out.

All that being said, I wanted to say yes.... But I guess, rightly or wrongly, the above has provided me with a different perspective...

In closing....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
For me, I am having one of the most enjoyable year watching this team, it`s not just the winning, it`s the entertainment factor, this team is entertaining as hell to watch b that said, I`m kinda on the fence on this one, so many teams pushed all chips to the middle and this will be such a war so would I consider it a bust if they didn`t win it all? Nope, a bust if this team is bounced before they get to the cup final though

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The best comparison is the 2007 Patriots - PERFECT 16-0 in the regular season and would go to 18-0 but lost the Super Bowl.

The 1970-71 Bruins were a machine but with a 5-1 lead against Poutineville in Game 2 of the first round relaxed as they had solved Ken Dryden. Bobby Orr did not have a good third period.

Does anyone here at HF Bruins look back at 2014 fondly? I doubt it because of this

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
The team top to bottom is prepared and ready for another run at it, and the organization as a whole has done what it takes to put the players in this position. I don't see the effort or team first mentality breaking down. I'm done with the radio take mentality of win or everything you watched sucks. It's been a fun team to follow this year, why you heff to be mad?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The team top to bottom is prepared and ready for another run at it, and the organization as a whole has done what it takes to put the players in this position. I don't see the effort or team first mentality breaking down. I'm done with the radio take mentality of win or everything you watched sucks. It's been a fun team to follow this year, why you heff to be mad?
Season has been great so far. Vikings 15-1 for me was great too. Mets just had 101 wins. Awesome. Win the championship

Not sure how that’s a radio mentality? I mean it sure sounds like the Bruins players mentality listening to mcavoy and Marchand. If they don’t win and you still feel like it was a great year, more power to you, but teams like this are rare and to not win is a disaster imo. If you’re not holding them to winning a championship, I guess you just don’t have any expectations, ever

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This team is better on D than the 2014 team and deeper in net. You had technically 2 rookies on 3rd pair D (Krug\Miller) and Seidenberg out injured, while Clifton and Gryz are far from that. Net minding is deeper and depending on Hall forwards are better.
However if they advance past R1 they will go up against a better opponent than in '14.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The best comparison is the 2007 Patriots - PERFECT 16-0 in the regular season and would go to 18-0 but lost the Super Bowl.

The 1970-71 Bruins were a machine but with a 5-1 lead against Poutineville in Game 2 of the first round relaxed as they had solved Ken Dryden. Bobby Orr did not have a good third period.

Does anyone here at HF Bruins look back at 2014 fondly? I doubt it because of this

Being excited and thinking your team is the favorite is one thing, but people who lived through either or both of those experience who are now all but pre-hanging the banner confuse the hell out of me. I wasn't around for the gag job in '71, but the Game Of Which We Do Not Speak will haunt me forever.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
For me, I am having one of the most enjoyable year watching this team, it`s not just the winning, it`s the entertainment factor, this team is entertaining as hell to watch b that said, I`m kinda on the fence on this one, so many teams pushed all chips to the middle and this will be such a war so would I consider it a bust if they didn`t win it all? Nope, a bust if this team is bounced before they get to the cup final though
Here's the thing, the title says Cup or Bust. The first post says Success.

If they don't win the cup, is it a bust? Maybe not.

But 0% chance I'd call it a success.

That's the language of the first post and poll. If the word is success, then I don't know how anyone can call anything but the cup a success.

Bust could mean a lot of things, but to me, success is really definitively a black and white answer. Cup = Win = Success. Only one team is a success story each year. And to be quite honest, of all years, this is the year they need to complete the story.

Last edited:

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
There is one pretty obvious way they could fail to win the Cup that has nothing to do with ability, effort, roster, or coaching. Injuries have felled many would-be Cup winners.

Now, I think what makes this Bruins team special is the depth. But if say Bergeron and Pastrnak both got hurt in a Game 2 I don't think anyone would hold it against them if they came up short in any round, even with their depth. Your 3 or 4 more important guys can't be replaced. If Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Chara, or Thomas got knocked out against Vancouver it would have been very different than having to fill Horton's shoes for 5 games.

If they lose because of injuries we won't call them chokers or say they're disappointments. But that still won't change the fact that the organization went all-in for one purpose. And if they don't accomplish that purpose it's still a bust of a season. That's just the way sports work. It's why they keep score.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think it's a matter of connotation. Words like "disaster" and "bust" thrown around. I'm sure "choke" would be next.

Complete disappointment if they don't win, sure. But it's the hardest trophy to win in sports, and even a season like this only adds up to a 30-35% probability for the runaway favorite.

A first round sweep, or a loss to Toronto probably qualifies as a "bust". But ECF or further is more of a tough disappointment in my eyes.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Obviously, injuries (or lack thereof) are the wild card.

If they remain healthy there's only 1 thing that concerns me:

Coaching.

I really like Monty and he's done a great job, and my concern is minimal, but he hasn't needed to coach the team out of a losing streak. Just not sure what his approach will be if they go down in a series.

If they do go down in a series, my belief is the players will rise to the occasion, but you never know.

Look at the playoff records of President Trophy winners, especially those who really dominate the regular season, set records, etc.

This why I love the new additions. They appear to be the playoff types the Bruins have been lacking for a while.

No matter what happens in the playoffs, I'm giving Sweeney an A+ for this year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It’s subjective- there is no right or wrong answer

It’s in the eye of the beholder

My specific take is it would be a disappointing end but would not lesson one but the wildly entertaining season

If you live day to day and live as best you can there would be 200 days of happiness and joy when it comes to our Bruins - and one crappy day and then the default fell back ‘we will always have June 15 2011’

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
The one thing that I keep forgetting is that most of Bruins' fans were going to be happy if we made the playoffs this year. At the end of the day, I'm already happy with the fight this team has shown this year. I love the leadership from Bergeron and Krejci. I love the moves that management has made to give support to the team and bring Bergeron and Krejci back and sign Pasta. Based on the regular season, there is going to be some disappointment if they don't win the cup, and we have to realize that once Bergeron and Krejci are gone, this team isn't going to be as strong as this year.

So in terms of 'bust'? Yeah, this year the team is all in. This is going to be their best chance to win for a long time. However, as fans, we should all be grateful for the moves this team has made and the fight they've shown to give Bergeron and Krejci the best shot and overachieve for the expectations coming into this season.

Reactions: Gordoff

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think it's a matter of connotation. Words like "disaster" and "bust" thrown around. I'm sure "choke" would be next.

Complete disappointment if they don't win, sure. But it's the hardest trophy to win in sports, and even a season like this only adds up to a 30-35% probability for the runaway favorite.

A first round sweep, or a loss to Toronto probably qualifies as a "bust". But ECF or further is more of a tough disappointment in my eyes.
I just look at it this way.

Top two centers under 4 mil. Traded 6 picks for 2 rentals. Goalie is having the best season any has had in a long time. They will have home ice in every round. Injuries could play a part for sure and if they do you may have to alter your expectations. You lose a series where a couple key guys are knocked out, then yeah that’s unfortunate

You lose healthy, it’s a disaster I’m sorry. You have no cap room. You have no picks. To get picks you weaken the team further with trades. This is the year.

I’ll be right back next September rooting them on, but I’m not going to be watching YouTube videos of the 2022-23 regular season.

And I do understand you guys and gals who go to the games and pay a lot of money and make memories with your kids, it’s about way more than you winning it all.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I just look at it this way.

Top two centers under 4 mil. Traded 6 picks for 2 rentals. Goalie is having the best season any has had in a long time. They will have home ice in every round. Injuries could play a part for sure and if they do you may have to alter your expectations. You lose a series where a couple key guys are knocked out, then yeah that’s unfortunate

You lose healthy, it’s a disaster I’m sorry. You have no cap room. You have no picks. To get picks you weaken the team further with trades. This is the year.

I’ll be right back next September rooting them on, but I’m not going to be watching YouTube videos of the 2022-23 regular season.

And I do understand you guys and gals who go to the games and pay a lot of money and make memories with your kids, it’s about way more than you winning it all.

This is where I'm at, too. I've said it before, the 2008-2009 regular season was my personal favorite.

I can't watch a single second of it. Makes me think of walking out of a stunned arena after they lost in Game 7 to a team they should have swept.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Don't think you will find anyone who will disagree with that sentiment from top to bottom of the leadership of this team.

But enjoying the ride is pretty damn important part of the journey as a sports fan. I will not feel guilty for enjoying a historic season like which we may never see again!

This is a great group of players and people and I'll be rooting for the their professional and personal success no matter if they win or lose.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad