Boston Bruins Cup or Bust?

Do the Bruins need to win the Stanley Cup in order for this season to be considered a success?

• Yes

Votes: 126 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 32 20.3%

• Total voters

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Cup or bust is tough to decide. They are going for it but you still need luck to win the cup. I hope they do but I have a hard time saying this season was a bust. I’m enjoying this…… even so I voted yes.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
That’s a tough one because in a way the season is already a success when you look at it in the context of breaking record after record, then you take into context everyone expected them to be in the bubble at best, and they have far exceeded expectations

On the other hand, I think they have all the tools they need to get it done and management has gone all in. I think this is the last chance for the bruins to win one with bergeron Marchand and Krejci all together. Ultimately it’s cup or best

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'll measure this team by my expectations coming into the season, and not the expectations I have now. This team is already a success. I didn't even have them making the playoffs to be honest. Though we would be sending out Krejci and Bergeron at the deadline for picks and prospects. Yet, this team has been good... well not just good. Historically good.

This team is on par with the Habs from the late 70s. Or the Bruins from the early 70's. Go look at the 1978-79 Montreal Canadians roster. Go look at the 1971-72 Bruins roster. They are littered with hall of fame players at every position. That is how good this team is, I'm still having a difficult time comprehending it.

There are only 2 things I want to see before the season end that I think would make this season perfect. #33 to the rafters on the final home game of the season. Raising a Stanley cup banner in the spring. Though neither are expected at this point.

Speaking of Chara, to bad they have only 1 contract spot open until season ends mid April.

They may have been able to give the guy a final game or two at year end to give him
a fitting ending.

No moral victories. All time point record incoming and first round you get to slap around the Sabres, Sens or Pens. Then this roster has to go 12-9 at worst to win the Cup. Team will lose at least 3 quality players due to the cap next year and I doubt Krejci comes back. No 1sts of 2nds for multiple years and a bottom 5 prospect pool. Need to win this year.

Florida is still alive. Absolutely wouldn't want to play them.

Reactions: Gordoff and ap3lovr

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Pretty simple, boys and girls.

Do the Bruins need to win the Cup in order for you to consider this season a success?

I’m actually going to say “No”.

I did not expect them to have this level of success. I was ready for a full on rebuild, the sooner the better.

This has been a hell of a ride and I’ve enjoyed it no matter what.
FWIW I thought they were going to win in 2010 and we all know what happened that year and then they won the Stanley Cup the season/year after.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
For the majority of my years as a Boston fan, I saw only the Celtics win championships. If I was only satisfied with a parade at the end of the season, I'd have given up on sports a long time ago. For me, it's the journey, not the destination. It's also what makes actually winning that much more special.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Obviously, I love to see them raise the cup. But also respect what they've done so far.
No guaranties about the future, ever.
They're giving it their best shot and I'm enjoying every game.
I'm in this line of thinking.
Great season, enjoying it.
So much can happen in the playoffs.
Teams are very close, and if one team gets the bounces, a goalie stands on their head, or injuries anything can happen.
I'll be disappointed if they don't win, but honestly Donnie has put the team in the best position to win it all
that I have ever seen.
Two great goalies, so if 1 goes down or goes cold, not an issue.
3 great D'men , perhaps all 3 are #1 D'men. Then you have Carlo, Forbert, Gryz, and Clifton. Defensive Depth.
4 Exceptional lines, with pretty decent forward subs.
Enjoying the ride.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I think this is going to be one of the toughest cups to win in recent memory for whomever wins it. The east will a war with Toronto, Tampa, Rangers, and the Devil's all adding significant pieces. And the wildcard teams of Ottawa, Florida, Islanders and Buffalo will all be a challenge.

And Seattle, Vegas, Dallas, Edmonton or Colorado coming out of the west will be another tough challenge in the final.

It's cup or bust, but not because of the competition.

Most of these east teams are gonna take care of each other. TOR/TB, RAN/CAR. First round is gonna be challenging, but #7-#8 seeds are rarely a walk over in the NHL playoffs.

Point is: It would have been way more difficult to win the title over the past 3 years to get by peak Tampa and Colorado.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I’m going to say yes given what they have invested in this group as far as bonuses which will bleed them next season, and the draft capitol.

You could make the argument that a lot guys will have other chances like Pasta, Mac, etc. but for Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, and Foligno this is likely the last chance they will ever get

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Is for me if they went 82-0 and went out in the first round I would say it was a wasted season.
It really boils down to how people define success. It's all relative, but for a team setting records, it feels like the only thing they haven't proven was getting to the end (and to be honest, Bergeron and Krejci were the only one's left from 12 years ago).

Let's not pretend this team is going to be exactly same next year, so in order to call this season a success, to me, they need to win it. I know the path to the Stanley Cup isn't easy, it never is. But for a team with 1 cup in the last 50 years, Original 6; the let down of 2013 and 2019, if the bar isn't at Stanley Cup, then why bother? No one's gonna buy a Bruins President Trophy shirt or memorabilia. I'm certainly not looking back at 2014 or 2020 as success stories.

Regular season awards are neat. But to me, the final prize is what we need. As fans, as an organization. As Bergeron and Krejci's legacy. I don't EXPECT them to win, but that should be the absolute goal. And a goal they will do all that they can to achieve.

Does anyone talk about Bruins team of 1990, 2014, or 2020 in the same breath as the 2011 team? Each of the former teams were close enough to a final (either the year prior or the same season), but there's a reason why Ray Bourque needed to leave Boston to get a cup, otherwise, would he have considered 1990 a success?) 2011 team, regular season winners were the Vancouver Canucks.

I'm sure no one here (or even their own fanbase) will call the Canucks 2011 a success story.

I'm not a football fan, but how many Pats fans call their undefeated season a success when they flubbed the ending?

Regular season is cool, but it sets the expectations. I'm happy the team is doing great. I'm not gonna disown them if they don't win it all or anything like that... but with this record setting season; anything less than winning it all seems like a let down. Ever season, every building year, every let down, they've been building to this year. And they need to get it done, because for some players on this roster, there's not gonna be a next time.

Sorry for the rant, but if anything less than the cup is a success, I think we have an extremly different definition of success for a pro-sports team with it's current resume.

It's not a respect thing at this point. They've got everyone's respect. They've cemented themselves to the league as one of, if not THEE best team in the NHL in the 2022-23 season. Let's finish this story they've been setting up.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
It really boils down to how people define success. It's all relative, but for a team setting records, it feels like the only thing they haven't proven was getting to the end (and to be honest, Bergeron and Krejci were the only one's left from 12 years ago).

Let's not pretend this team is going to be exactly same next year, so in order to call this season a success, to me, they need to win it. I know the path to the Stanley Cup isn't easy, it never is. But for a team with 1 cup in the last 50 years, Original 6; the let down of 2013 and 2019, if the bar isn't at Stanley Cup, then why bother? No one's gonna buy a Bruins President Trophy shirt or memorabilia. I'm certainly not looking back at 2014 or 2020 as success stories.

Regular season awards are neat. But to me, the final prize is what we need. As fans, as an organization. As Bergeron and Krejci's legacy. I don't EXPECT them to win, but that should be the absolute goal. And a goal they will do all that they can to achieve.

Does anyone talk about Bruins team of 1990, 2014, or 2020 in the same breath as the 2011 team? Each of the former teams were close enough to a final (either the year prior or the same season), but there's a reason why Ray Bourque needed to leave Boston to get a cup, otherwise, would he have considered 1990 a success?) 2011 team, regular season winners were the Vancouver Canucks.

I'm sure no one here (or even their own fanbase) will call the Canucks 2011 a success story.

I'm not a football fan, but how many Pats fans call their undefeated season a success when they flubbed the ending?

Regular season is cool, but it sets the expectations. I'm happy the team is doing great. I'm not gonna disown them if they don't win it all or anything like that... but with this record setting season; anything less than winning it all seems like a let down. Ever season, every building year, every let down, they've been building to this year. And they need to get it down, because for some players on this roster, there's not gonna be a next time.

Sorry for the rant, but if anything less than the cup is a success, I think we have an extremly different definition of success for a pro-sports team with its current resume.
I agree 100%

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can't settle on an answer and I'd rather not think about it until after the playoffs.

This has been the funnest season since like 2012. Every night has been entertaining, enjoyable, they've given thrills and made hockey must-watch all year long. I'm in complete paralyzing fear that they'll lose in the playoffs and that'll ruin everything. But even then, unless it's some kind of traumatic game 7 collapse to a team like the Leafs, I don't think losing a hard-fought series to one of the other really good teams in the East in the 2nd round or conference finals will destroy the positive memories from the regular season. But let's cross that bridge if we even get there.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
@Gee Wally said a few years ago that if the team makes the finals, then that has to be considered a successful year. I am going to concur with that.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Favorites to win it - anything less will be a disappointment.

But just to put a little more on it. .....

The Cup solves their problems next year too. Every player on a Cup winning team would immediately be more valuable in the league. The UFAs but also the guys under contract. Win the Cup and their value in trade is propped up enough to replenish prospects and open up cap flexibility. The rented UFAs would be more likely to stick around too after finally finding a place where it all works

Anything short of the Cup makes next year even tougher

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad