Boston Bruins Cup or Bust?

Do the Bruins need to win the Stanley Cup in order for this season to be considered a success?

• Yes

Votes: 126 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 32 20.3%

• Total voters

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
If we don't win a Cup this year, I'll be disappointed..........for about 2hrs.

When I was in my 20s it might have bothered me for a while, but I eventually realized that this shit isn't life and death....
I got divorced because of game 7 against the Flyers in 2010 (well not really lol but it was close ;)): after sitting in shock for 2 hours drinking scotch I finally went to bed and my (now ex-) wife says to me “it’s just a game.” I said tomorrow it will be “just a game” but tonight it’s the f***ing end of the world.

(Better than the peach schnapps I was forced to drink in 2003 because of f***ing Aaron Boone because I was too confident to buy scotch. Never made that mistake again either.)

2013 and 2019 were even worse. No interest in going through that again. Sick of being a bridesmaid instead of the bride all the time. Cup or bust for me. “2011 and 2023” has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Like few have mentioned, if Bergeron and Krejci were younger than no. But my gut feeling is that at least one or both will retire at seasons end so yes cup or bust.

Now even still while they won’t be as good as this season depending on how things shake out this off season they will still definitely have a playoff team next season. My biggest wildcard is Marchand. It’s very possible that he decides to hang them up along with Bergeron, since they have been line partners Marchy’s whole career. He is one to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
With all the moves they’ve made and the rally to win 46/37 one more cup, its absolutely cup or bust.

But this season has probably been the most fun season I’ve ever watched. Will have lots of great memories regardless and hope they put a run together.

We’re not done after this year but this is the best shot we’ll get.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Like few have mentioned, if Bergeron and Krejci were younger than no. But my gut feeling is that at least one or both will retire at seasons end so yes cup or bust.

Now even still while they won’t be as good as this season depending on how things shake out this off season they will still definitely have a playoff team next season. My biggest wildcard is Marchand. It’s very possible that he decides to hang them up along with Bergeron, since they have been line partners Marchy’s whole career. He is one to keep an eye on.
Yea. No way Marchand hangs them up if Bergy does, not a chance !

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I think it's a matter of connotation. Words like "disaster" and "bust" thrown around. I'm sure "choke" would be next.

Complete disappointment if they don't win, sure. But it's the hardest trophy to win in sports, and even a season like this only adds up to a 30-35% probability for the runaway favorite.

A first round sweep, or a loss to Toronto probably qualifies as a "bust". But ECF or further is more of a tough disappointment in my eyes.
I see it as a matter of interpretation more so then connotation. I consider a bust to be high expectations followed by “Complete disappointment”. I absolutely have high expectations.

I don’t think bust implies I would walk away from the team or that there would be no redeeming quality in this season. Others might say it’s not a bust if there is a silver lining.

Last edited:

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
Been following this team ever since I saw pictures of the 1970 Bruins team inside a Supermarket in Lawrence , Mass ( 53 years ago ) Its been a joy and pleasure to be a part of this hockey club through the years. Everytime I go to a game at the Garden , it brings back great memories of the past players and being with my family who have passed on. This year is no doubt something special. I recently lost a brother 3 years ago this coming March 17. He was my idol growing up. He made me better in every thing I do in life now, which starts with being the best person you can be......this is number one. Everything else will fall in place if you give it a chance. Being the best at everything you do in life , doesn't mean your better than someone....where I come from it means you have drive and passion in life. So lets win this Cup this year for my late Brother .....Bobby M. He taught me everthing in life.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Don't see why Bergeron or Krejci should retire.

They are both clearly playing at a level of top 6 centers. 38 and 37 years old at the start of next season, not that old for today's athletes.

I'd say that the odds are both would come back, barring some sort of major injures.

Reactions: Ladyfan

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

They are both clearly playing at a level of top 6 centers. 38 and 37 years old at the start of next season, not that old for today's athletes.

I'd say that the odds are both would come back, barring some sort of major injures.
These guys are taking risks to make chump change than what they should make. Yet fans just want them to continue to play and at cheap cost. They did a huge favor to this team and we are really overlooking that.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

I would say it’s questionable for both which makes these playoffs even more important.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
These guys are taking risks to make chump change than what they should make. Yet fans just want them to continue to play and at cheap cost. They did a huge favor to this team and we are really overlooking that.

i don't think anyone is overlooking that, all the comments I've seen from fans is how lucky we are that they're doing this.

And it's not like they haven't made out well for themselves. Bergeron is at 96 million in career earnings while Krejci is at 70 million. The teams has compensated them well during their time here and I'm sure they'll continue to get benefits from the team after they've stopped playing.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I couldn't understand why Bergeron was even considering it last year, but he did, very seriously. Clearly retirement is on his mind for personal reasons not related to his ability to play at a high-level. So I will not be stunned if this is it for him even if he's still a beast on the ice.

As for Krejci he already walked away once, and if I have this correctly his kids are not in the US with him this season. I think it's more likely he retires again than returns.

Could they both come back? Of course. But even if they do, are they going to want to keep playing for well well well below their market value? That's yet another variable we just don't know. Those tow guys gave the Bruins a proverbial cheat code this year. (Which is why I'm thrilled management went all in on this team. You must maximize opportunities like this.) But that cheat code might not exist next season even if they both come back.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
i don't think anyone is overlooking that, all the comments I've seen from fans is how lucky we are that they're doing this.

And it's not like they haven't made out well for themselves. Bergeron is at 96 million in career earnings while Krejci is at 70 million. The teams has compensated them well during their time here and I'm sure they'll continue to get benefits from the team after they've stopped playing.
It’s not the money, it’s the risk to health. Got to remember it wasn’t very long ago we thought Bergerons career was done after a series of serious concussions. No doubt that is on his mind.

They both definitely aren’t lacking playing ability, so unless it really sticks in their jaws if we don’t win the cup this season I really don’t see either back

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It’s not the money, it’s the risk to health. Got to remember it wasn’t very long ago we thought Bergerons career was done after a series of serious concussions. No doubt that is on his mind.

They both definitely aren’t lacking playing ability, so unless it really sticks in their jaws if we don’t win the cup this season I really don’t see either back

That was 15/16 years ago.

It appears that Bergy was looking at a multi-year deal this past offseason before deciding to go with year to year deals. I think it's more likely he comes back than not. I think the opposite is true of Krejci; I think he's more likely to call it good than come back.

Lots of things can change over time, so it's really anyone's guess as to Bergeron/Krejci coming back for another year. We'll see.

Reactions: missingchicklet

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They need to win this year because it’s not gonna get easier for them going forward

If they put in a great effort and lose in the cup or something like that I’ll still be proud of the team for pouring everything into this season- but I won’t be satisfied unless Bergeron is getting handed that cup to raise

Reactions: HustleB

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
Its called Honor and Commitment at its highest level in Sports today. Very few if any athlete's today would take that kind of Pay Loss. I commend them for this.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad