Culture Change

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Baby steps for sure. Changes at the lower levels should not be expected to have much significant impact, but it's the easy and doable path for now.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
There's a lot of guys in the core who are not doing their jobs.

If you're a 9 year veteran and a captain of an Original Six team making $7 million, you should be an absolute rock back there who can teach and stabilize the games of young players like Rielly and Gardiner and other kids we're trying to develop. A team like Boston also had two very young defensemen in Krug and Hamilton, but the difference is Chara isn't a fraud and he can babysit the kids. Dion Phaneuf is such a mess that he's leaving mistakes all over the ice and completely unraveling himself.

When I see a guy like Robidas brought in to help with the work ethic and leadership department, I don't necessarily think he's here to mentor 51 and 44 exclusively. I think he's partially here to babysit the guy who wears the C.

And that is a disaster.

Dion, Kessel, JVR and the rest of the true core players all have done their jobs. The problem has been a combination of waiting on the development of other players from within to compliment them and getting players from the outside. These things take time.

Should Toronto have traded Sundin because the rest of the team was not good enough and they could not win a Stanley Cup or is this question going into a gray area for you?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dion, Kessel, JVR and the rest of the true core players all have done their jobs. The problem has been a combination of waiting on the development of other players from within to compliment them and getting players from the outside. These things take time.

Should Toronto have traded Sundin because the rest of the team was not good enough and they could not win a Stanley Cup or is this question going into a gray area for you?

What job has Phaneuf done when he's the captain and our number one defenseman and we have a leadership and defense problem? When we were melting down, Phaneuf wasn't any better than Rielly (19) or Gardiner (23).

When Sundin was here we never worried about the center position and we never worried about an honest effort.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
What job has Phaneuf done when he's the captain and our number one defenseman and we have a leadership and defense problem? When we were melting down, Phaneuf wasn't any better than Rielly (19) or Gardiner (23).

When Sundin was here we never worried about the center position and we never worried about an honest effort.

Dion has carried a team with a bad arrangement of defenseman surrounding him about as far as it is humanly possible season after season. Did you listen when Shanahan talked about culture and said he wanted to help Phaneuf? Do you understand why he said that?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dion has carried a team with a bad arrangement of defenseman surrounding him about as far as it is humanly possible season after season. Did you listen when Shanahan talked about culture and said he wanted to help Phaneuf? Do you understand why he said that?

Carried them where?

Helping Phaneuf is a politically correct way of saying they need to find a nanny to look after him. Because he can't provide stable leadership or maintain a high level of play under difficult circumstances.

But hey, if you're happy with him all the power to you.

HonestHockey*

Finally some support on defense. Dion will now shine. BTW Peter Holland will be in the AHL for 90% of the season.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
Carried them where?

Helping Phaneuf is a politically correct way of saying they need to find a nanny to look after him. Because he can't provide stable leadership or maintain a high level of play under difficult circumstances.

Helping Dion is something that should be a priority, something this franchise failed to do with Sundin.

HonestHockey*

Carried them where?

Lol I was reading earlier the critique of Shea Webber. In a team game I guess a single individual is expected to carry the load. YeH Dion needs a Nannie lol.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Additions are lateral for the most part. Change for the sake of change could kick start a better year I suppose. The biggest improvement will be from the young players being one year older. I suspect huge years from Kadri, Gardiner, Bernier and Rielly will be the real difference in finish from last season. Rielly being the one with the most pure skill, smarts and talent from that group will not take too many years to become a big part of the club going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad