Cullen to join pens in a development role

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Cool. This sounds more like Gonch when he started out, than a traditional player dev role.
In his new role, Cullen will work closely with Rutherford, head coach Mike Sullivan and his coaching staff.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I bet they discuss their life plans with each other and both get a say in the matter like reasonable adults.
My belief is the person who makes the money should ultimately make the decision, but that's just me. Unfortunately it doesn't appear as though that was a driving force in the decision a couple years back. Call me a traditionalist I guess. lol

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
First - f*** yes.

Second - I bet he had a job with the wild lined up but was like f*** that noise with what Fenton did to that squad.

Glad to see him stick around.

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My belief is the person who makes the money should ultimately make the decision, but that's just me. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that's what was a driving force in the decision a couple years back. Call me a traditionalist I guess. lol
In a couple, it's never a one person decision. If it is, somethings brewing in that relationship that is gonna blow up.

Cool. This sounds more like Gonch when he started out, than a traditional player dev role.
So...why do we need Recchi then.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I thought for sure that he'd want to stay in Minny as a part time scout for a while. The Burgh has him now.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Have you seen the state the wild are in at the moment in head office?

Hell they probably offered him GM and he was like nah fam.
I don't think he was ever really considering a job with the Wild. He didn't seem too crazy about them last season and already met with the Pens brass about a job in the end of June.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I thought he wanted to live in Minnesota?

A Player Development role wouldn't require him to live in Pittsburgh, since it likely mostly involves working with prospects, anyway. So he can live in Minnesota, and travel around to where the prospects are to keep track of them, and give them suggestions on how to improve.

This actually makes three people working in "Player Development" for the Pens, incidentally:
Scott Young - Director of Player Development
Tom Kostopoulos - Player Development Coach
Matt Cullen - Player Development

I'm pretty sure TK already works out of WB/S, and does a lot of work with the AHL team, so I'd imagine that hiring Cullen will allow TK to focus more attention to the prospects in the pro leagues, while Cullen can focus on those in Junior and College leagues, but that's just my speculation.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
A Player Development role wouldn't require him to live in Pittsburgh, since it likely mostly involves working with prospects, anyway. So he can live in Minnesota, and travel around to where the prospects are to keep track of them, and give them suggestions on how to improve.

This actually makes three people working in "Player Development" for the Pens, incidentally:
Scott Young - Director of Player Development
Tom Kostopoulos - Player Development Coach
Matt Cullen - Player Development

I'm pretty sure TK already works out of WB/S, and does a lot of work with the AHL team, so I'd imagine that hiring Cullen will allow TK to focus more attention to the prospects in the pro leagues, while Cullen can focus on those in Junior and College leagues, but that's just my speculation.

When Tom Fitzgerlad was Director of Player Development he was based out of Boston.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My belief is the person who makes the money should ultimately make the decision, but that's just me. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that's what was a driving force in the decision a couple years back. Call me a traditionalist I guess. lol
Yeah, I disagree with that entirely. Neither member of a relationship should be making that kind of decision alone.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
My belief is the person who makes the money should ultimately make the decision, but that's just me. Unfortunately it doesn't appear as though that was a driving force in the decision a couple years back. Call me a traditionalist I guess. lol

giphy.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Man imagine the horror of valuing your wife’s opinion.
What about the husbands opinion? Should that be cast aside? Particularly in light of the fact that he's the one providing financial stability for the family?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, I disagree with that entirely. Neither member of a relationship should be making that kind of decision alone.
If my GF was making more money than I was (which incidentally isn't happening), and she could get a good job in a place she's happy in, shouldn't I support her if she's you know providing me with a better life?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
What about the husbands opinion? Should that be cast aside? Particularly in light of the fact that he's the one providing financial stability for the family?

Uh no. I’d imagine most healthy marriages/relationships involve the adults coming to an agreement on what is best for their family.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Uh no. I’d imagine most healthy marriages/relationships involve the adults coming to an agreement on what is best for their family.
And what's best for the family generally speaking is for the person earning the money to be happy at wherever he or she works. But you can ''imagine'' whatever you'd like I suppose.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If my GF was making more money than I was (which incidentally isn't happening), and she could get a good job in a place she's happy in, shouldn't I support her if she's you know providing me with a better life?
within reason, sure. But let's say you are both living in Minnesota together. She's traveling half the time for her job. You both have family and friends in Pittsburgh. Then she's offered the same basic job in Pittsburgh, wouldn't you prefer she at least give the job in Pittsburgh a chance? Shouldn't your opinion at least be considered?

And what's best for the family generally speaking is for the person earning the money to be happy at wherever he or she works. But you can ''imagine'' whatever you'd like I suppose.

What's best for the family is for all of them to be happy. It's not like they moved to Minnesota and he had to work in a coal mine for a living. He had his dream job, just in a different city.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
within reason, sure. But let's say you are both living in Minnesota together. She's traveling half the time for her job. You both have family and friends in Pittsburgh. Then she's offered the same basic job in Minnesota or Pittsburgh, wouldn't you prefer she at least gave the job in Pittsburgh a chance? Shouldn't your opinion at least be considered?
Of course my opinion should be considered. But if say she's making 10 times what I am, I need to view it through a prism of logic and common sense. And I want to be clear here so there's no confusion. This isn't a gender issue for me (although again I hold a more traditional outlook), it's a money issue. There could be health considerations and such but without that or some such variable to be considered, You have to defer to the person who's actively working to make your life and your families life better.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What's best for the family is for all of them to be happy. It's not like they moved to Minnesota and he had to work in a coal mine for a living. He had his dream job, just in a different city.
I wouldn't be happy if I deferred to my GF or some such person if I'm the one making the vast majority of the money. So if I'm not happy they're not gonna be happy, I can assure you of that. lmao

Money isn't everything, but it's vitally important. And if you have that leverage, it's a great tool to use in making such decisions.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't be happy if I deferred to my GF or some such person if I'm the one making the vast majority of the money. So if I'm not happy they're not gonna be happy, I can assure you of that. lmao

Money isn't everything, but it's vitally important. And if you have that leverage, it's a great tool to use in making such decisions.

Leverage? Jesus.

TBH the saying is happy me, happy life. Or something like that.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So Kostopolous has a year and a half at player dev, so does this mean Cullen is behind him in moving up the coaching ladder?
-or-
Does it not matter? People can be skipped over. I really like TK and MC on a not knowing them at all personally level.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

As someone who is still happily married after over 20 years, the above are both absolutely correct.

I don't need to "imagine." My wife and I went through these decisions a couple times already. When I wanted to move across the country to pursue my dream job, we discussed it, and we came to an agreement - I was able to do that, but next time, she got to decide. So, that's what we did. When we were ready to move again, it was primarily her choice. Granted, we both still had input on both decisions. That's what you do when you're partners - you make major decisions together, not unilaterally.

By contrast, every marriage among people I know where one partner made major decisions without consulting the other has ended up in divorce.

Making decisions without the other person's input is going to lead to resentment, and then nobody's happy. Why would you want to do that? More to the point, why did you get married in the first place, then?

From everything Cullen has said, the decision was made by both him and his wife. While he may have had a small preference for staying in Pittsburgh at the time, he also had interest in going back home to Minnesota, so when his wife had a stronger preference for going to MN, it was pretty easy for him to agree to that. It may have been his second choice, but that doesn't mean he didn't want to go there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad