News Article: CSN: Neely denies ever wanting to fire Claude Julien

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I think he thought about it many times in past years,if not last year. Something has a grip on this team that has had them playing uninspired hockey for over a year,whether it's the system or the lack of faith in themselves. They've gone through several uninspired periods of play which dogs most teams but this is different.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
If media people are still tying this to the "you can't win every game 1-0 or without scoring" comments from years ago, then this is a pretty poor story.

Unfortunately the correct way in circumstances like these for handling the media becomes to give cliché responses only because anything that is out of the box or unorthodox is crucified.

The original comments to which I referred were so innocuous. (and I heard the interview then)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Neely reminds me a little bit of lowe :(, not something any fan base should go through. Hey maybe he's less incompetent, for Bruins sake I hope he is. I just don't think it's ever a good idea for an ex player to be so involved. As an Oiler fan im bitter on the subject aha, nepotism is not my favorite thing.

With all due respect, who gives a crap what oiler fans think about Cam Neely?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
What's the point of coming out with this BS when Chiarelli already leaked out months ago that Neely wanted to fire him but wasn't allowed to ?

OrrCam

Aug 9, 2008
I don't either, I am glad Cam spoke up.

Same here. I see nothing wrong or untoward in his comments. He's setting the record straight, which, I believe was necessary given the media vibe we've been subjected to, and participated in, around the 'fire Julien' chatter.

And, in fairness, I was on the 'fire Julien' bandwagon and to some extent I still am. I believe some of his crappy in-game coaching decisions in the last couple of weeks of last season may have cost the team a playoff spot. Not that they would have gone far in the post season, but some of the stunts he pulled were unbecoming of any coach and particularly one with his experience.

So if Cam never... ever... thought of firing Julien last season, then IMO he should probably do a little more thinking about how the team is coached on and ongoing basis. It might be necessary.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I would have canned Julien last year because the team played such uninspired hockey for much of the season.

To fire him this season would be a joke. Not his fault that the GM took a steaming hot one on the roster.

I do have a feeling though that Julien is set up to be the fall guy here.

I agree and it is a ****** thing to do to him. Like everyone else here I have my issues with Claude but it isn't right to treat him like that. If the Bruins don't want him as coach they should just fire him outright.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
His "dream job".... Mrs. Laviolette's words

I ran into laviolette during the lockout in 2004 at Lowell during a Lockmonsters game and had an enjoyable conversation that included the Bruins. He was Carolina coach but when I told him I was upset he didn't get the Boston job lets just say we were on the same page

Love lavy

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
It's as if the pro-Chiarelli camp is just waiting for a slip up of any kind to bash Sweeney and Neely. Chiarelli had nine years, he rode the rollercoaster, and was booted as it was obviously on the way down. Sweeney deserves at least a few years for his vision to take place.

But I agree, it's a very political, non-hockey, issue right now.

member 96824

What's Cam Neely supposed to say when asked this question? This is just a meaningless article to fill space in a slow time.

The proof will be in the pudding come December/January if the team is on the same course it was this last season.

Much ado about nothing right now.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I ran into laviolette during the lockout in 2004 at Lowell during a Lockmonsters game and had an enjoyable conversation that included the Bruins. He was Carolina coach but when I told him I was upset he didn't get the Boston job lets just say we were on the same page

Love lavy

He seemed like a great guy when I ran into him. Wasn't shy showing his admiration for all things Bruins. He'd make a great coach here IMO. It'd at the very least be entertaining

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I agree and it is a ****** thing to do to him. Like everyone else here I have my issues with Claude but it isn't right to treat him like that. If the Bruins don't want him as coach they should just fire him outright.

Just my opinion, but if they didn't want him as a coach, they would have fired him.

I don't honestly believe that they kept him saying to themselves, "In case the team sucks, we'll have someone to fire!"

Can't even imagine it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Just my opinion, but if they didn't want him as a coach, they would have fired him.

I don't honestly believe that they kept him saying to themselves, "In case the team sucks, we'll have someone to fire!"

Can't even imagine it.

You can't imagine a management team not wanting a scapegoat handy in case their master plan doesn't work???? Come on Roll.

I'm not saying that it is absolutely the case but I don't think it should be dismissed out of hand either. There has been too much background murmuring about Neely and Julien.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
You can't imagine a management team not wanting a scapegoat handy in case their master plan doesn't work???? Come on Roll.

I'm not saying that it is absolutely the case but I don't think it should be dismissed out of hand either. There has been too much background murmuring about Neely and Julien.

I can't.

Claude will get fired, that's for sure. All coaches do.

I honestly can't imagine them conspiring and keeping him on solely to give them a scapegoat if things go South.

I think they kept him because he was their 1st choice of available coaches.

It's possible that they have other coaches that they'd like to hire, if they were available, but I'm not a conspiracy theorist at heart.

Maybe we can get Lonnie to chime in? :sarcasm:

Edit: People do things every single day that defy imagination, so there is that, Betsy!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He seemed like a great guy when I ran into him. Wasn't shy showing his admiration for all things Bruins. He'd make a great coach here IMO. It'd at the very least be entertaining

Don't think he'll be on the move from Nashville anytime soon. That's a completely revamped system that appears to work. And, it's entertaining.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I can't.

Claude will get fired, that's for sure. All coaches do.

I honestly can't imagine them conspiring and keeping him on solely to give them a scapegoat if things go South.

I think they kept him because he was their 1st choice of available coaches.

It's possible that they have other coaches that they'd like to hire, if they were available, but I'm not a conspiracy theorist at heart.

Maybe we can get Lonnie to chime in? :sarcasm:

Edit: People do things every single day that defy imagination, so there is that, Betsy!

I agree with all of this. And I don't think Neely or Sweeney operate in the cynical "save my ***" way some suggest. You can believe the firing of Chiarelli was a power grab by Cam, and it likely was. But he is a person of integrity, as is Sweeney.

If you followed them as players, and know anything at all about the way they've conducted themselves off the ice, that fact would be plain.

zenfin

Jul 31, 2005
New Boston, NH
www.myspace.com
Just from my observation, but winning teams today are built around coaches and their systems. As much as we say coaches tend to have a certain life span, the same thing can be said of certain players as well. I pick the Blackhawks as an example. Look at the rotating cast of players over the past 6 years, and how many cups they have still won. They kept a small core of players (Kane, Tawes, Keith) and constantly rotated out guys that they didn't identify as their core. Quenneville plays a big part in this as it's his system, and the players buying into that system that helps. Bowman and the Chicago organization has done an amazing job of not falling in love with their players, and also locating new talent to implement into their system. Both by grooming their own talent, as well as trades/free agency.

Claude has a system that has been proven it can win. The problem is Chiarelli fell in love with his players. Players got disinterested playing the same system, game in and game out. I think giving Claude a chance with some fresh blood may very be all this team needs. Well, besides a goal scorer/top dman. I believe the big test for Claude in whether or not he stays is how much fire the team plays with. This team can compete, and if they are playing with fire and heart the majority of games this year, then I think we are seeing a team heading in the right direction. Still not contenders for the Cup, but they should be a team most teams will hate playing.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
The question will be: will the Clod tell the kids to take the puck to the red line, dump it, and change lines,
or will he actually allow them to bring it inside the blue line and try to stress the defense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad