News Article: CSN: Neely denies ever wanting to fire Claude Julien

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Like Cam would admit that he did?

Neely denies ever wanting to fire Claude Julien

There were reports last season that Neely wanted Julien fired in the middle of last season, and, in an interview with CSNNE.com, the club president wanted to set the record straight.

It’s obvious Julien wouldn’t still be with the team now if Neely wanted him gone, and he says there wasn’t a single time last season when he thought of firing Julien.

“I have no idea where that [report] came from, but I never uttered those words," Neely said. "[Firing Julien] is not something that I thought about at all. Just because I made a quote in 2010 or 2011" -- telling WAAF radio You can't win games 0-0" in 2010-11, a year the B's eventually won the Cup -- " I never uttered that to the Jacobs family. I never uttered that to [Peter] Chiarelli. That’s something I really didn’t like when I heard about it and read it, because it wasn’t true.

“If that was the case, then we would have let [Claude] go. He’s a very good coach, he’s had success in this league and he’s done a great job here. I think he’s one of the best coaches in the league. This is an opportunity where we all feel like we can improve upon things and tweak them a little bit, and that’s something [Julien] has talked to Donnie about quite a bit. I think you always have to evolve as a team, and he and his staff are willing to do that.â€

Cam also told Hags

“Don had a plan that we talked about, that we presented and we really thought we could accomplish,†said Neely. “We knew that it might be a little rocky and bumpy, and we also knew that it would entail [free agency]. There would be plenty of opportunities to second guess (prior to all the moves being made), but we also know that people don’t really know what’s going on inside the four walls [at the Bruins offices], and the conversations that are happening.

“We felt like we had to clean up our cap problems, and get out from under that. We needed a chance to add without subtracting all the time. I think what Don was able to accomplish on July 1, whether it was signing Matt Beleskey or trading for Jimmy Hayes, really assured people that there was some kind of a plan. We weren’t tuned into [the criticism], but we could certainly feel it and were prepared for it.â€

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/neely-sweeney-have-bruins-moving-new-direction

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
"[Firing Julien] is not something that I thought about at all.

I can believe he didn't strongly consider it but I'm sure he thought about it.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I would have canned Julien last year because the team played such uninspired hockey for much of the season.

To fire him this season would be a joke. Not his fault that the GM took a steaming hot one on the roster.

I do have a feeling though that Julien is set up to be the fall guy here.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I'm deeply divided on this, like somewhere between Crunch Coatâ„¢ and Dip Coatâ„¢ on my next ice cream.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
I would have canned Julien last year because the team played such uninspired hockey for much of the season.

To fire him this season would be a joke. Not his fault that the GM took a steaming hot one on the roster.

I do have a feeling though that Julien is set up to be the fall guy here.

If this team starts the year off poorly, Claude is gonna get the ax quickly. I agree he is getting set up to be the scape goat if things go poorly this year.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
If this team starts the year off poorly, Claude is gonna get the ax quickly. I agree he is getting set up to be the scape goat if things go poorly this year.

I expect a slow start,I would be overjoyed if we can play .500 hockey the first month or even two months. So many new faces in the lineup,it is going to take time .

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
"[Firing Julien] is not something that I thought about at all.

I can believe he didn't strongly consider it but I'm sure he thought about it.

Of course he thought about it .With the team playing as poorly as it did last year (for a variety of reasons ) Cam wouldn't have been doing his job if he wasn't looking at all of the possible reasons for the poor performance.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Neely reminds me a little bit of lowe :(, not something any fan base should go through. Hey maybe he's less incompetent, for Bruins sake I hope he is. I just don't think it's ever a good idea for an ex player to be so involved. As an Oiler fan im bitter on the subject aha, nepotism is not my favorite thing.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Neely reminds me a little bit of lowe :(, not something any fan base should go through. Hey maybe he's less incompetent, for Bruins sake I hope he is. I just don't think it's ever a good idea for an ex player to be so involved. As an Oiler fan im bitter on the subject aha, nepotism is not my favorite thing.

Terrible comparison, Lowe was an unmitigated disaster in Edmonton while Neely has tasted a lot of success in Boston.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see why you guys are so negative because of this.

Come on you are near the top of the food chain for getting it and anything Don Sweeney or Cam Neely do that posters who don't like they twist

Someone told me HF Bosrds specifically the Boston site more and more has taken on a political overview where many opinions are shaped who said it

It's as if Don Sweeney/Neely are the opposite of your political views because som people have turned to insults and ridiculous comments that prompted someone like DJ Bean to tweet out about this and myself to get texts and PMs if I was friends with certain people and whats their problems were it was so uncharacteristic .

Pretty amazing how some interpret everything one way but I've seen it in my own family with the liberals and conservative members who my mother once said if you talk politics get out of this house and neighborhood :laugh:

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
Do you believe what he said?

Who really cares if anyone believes what he said?

The question was asked for no good reason! It's one of those divisive "how often to you hit your kids" questions. Damned no matter what the answer. It's the media writing a story and asking questions to rattle the tribe.

He said the right thing and owes nobody including any of us an honest answer.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
K
Come on you are near the top of the food chain for getting it and anything Don Sweeney or Cam Neely do that posters who don't like they twist

Someone told me HF Bosrds specifically the Boston site more and more has taken on a political overview where many opinions are shaped who said it

It's as if Don Sweeney/Neely are the opposite of your political views because som people have turned to insults and ridiculous comments that prompted someone like DJ Bean to tweet out about this and myself to get texts and PMs if I was friends with certain people and whats their problems were it was so uncharacteristic .

Pretty amazing how some interpret everything one way but I've seen it in my own family with the liberals and conservative members who my mother once said if you talk politics get out of this house and neighborhood :laugh:

So true.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad