Crosby's struggles part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
With every passing game it's more and more obvious Johnston's system stifled Crosbys game. His subpar(for his standards) 100 games line up exactly with the Johnston era.

Fergus

Feb 16, 2014
I agree with almost everything else, but this is boggling my mind. Malkin seems to always be forgotten for some reason. Even though he has beaten Crosby over full seasons and playoff runs.

I've been told Malkin is #2C so he can't be that good.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I agree with almost everything else, but this is boggling my mind. Malkin seems to always be forgotten for some reason. Even though he has beaten Crosby over full seasons and playoff runs.
Malkin has had one season where he was better than a healthy Sid and two playoffs.

Over the last ten years, Crosby and Ovechkin have been better. And that's no slight to Malkin. IMO, he is the third best player to come into the NHL since the 05 lockout.

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011

Malkin quietly had a 3 point game tonight.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
With every passing game it's more and more obvious Johnston's system stifled Crosbys game. His subpar(for his standards) 100 games line up exactly with the Johnston era.

I mentioned numerous times in other threads that Johnston was to Crosby as Hunter was to Ovechkin. Long periods of sub-par performance tends to happen to superstars over their careers - Jagr floated through a few seasons in Washington, Selanne had his mediocre years in San Jose/Colorado, and (more recently) Kane had that horrible second half of the 2013-14 season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I have a feeling that the Caps fans who keep making new "Sid's struggles" threads won't make an "OV's struggles" thread if that happens.

I can do it if it helps you sleep at night, but I'm sure it'll be locked instantly.
Neither are deserving of this type of thread right now. Ovi has looked average to mediocre per his standards, but he's in a better position than he was at the same time a year ago.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
As most of us suspected, coach change had big impact on Crosby. He's been playing like the player who challenges for Art Ross again.

I'm going to say he ends up top-10 in points and maybe even pushes over top-5.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I have a feeling that the Caps fans who keep making new "Sid's struggles" threads won't make an "OV's struggles" thread if that happens.

About 100 times you complain about other people's bias in these threads and every time people tell you that you are no better. Then you disappear and come back after few weeks to do the exact same thing again. Why?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I can do it if it helps you sleep at night, but I'm sure it'll be locked instantly.
Neither are deserving of this type of thread right now. Ovi has looked average to mediocre per his standards, but he's in a better position than he was at the same time a year ago.

Ovechkin is on pace to beat his 53 goal season last year. not really sure how that's mediocre to his standards

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Ovechkin is on pace to beat his 53 goal season last year. not really sure how that's mediocre to his standards

He hasn't looked that good. Not bad either. But his season thus far is lacking some of the qualities he has had previously.

But he's still got a good chance to hit 50, which is what I want to see him do.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

First of all, pens fans were all over that in 2012-13. Trust us, it was everywhere. Remember the -35 threads everywhere?

Second of all, ovechkin is on pace to beat his 53 goal season from last year and is on pace for another 50 goal year but if you wanna make one then go ahead, people will see what everyone else sees in that hes on his way to most likely another rocket

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
About 100 times you complain about other people's bias in these threads and every time people tell you that you are no better. Then you disappear and come back after few weeks to do the exact same thing again. Why?

Because you same 7 guys just re-hash the same **** you did from 5 years ago to each other and it gets boring. You guys haven;t had an original thought or legitimate argument in all that time, but it sure as hell doesn't stop you from making **** up to put Sid down any time you get. For some of you I get the feeling that you guys like bashing Sid more than you like following your own teams. It's a little sad really.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Ovy won't win the Rocket this season but he sure turned around his D game while still producing which is impressive by itself. His goal/assist ratio is still funny though but hey... he's a better team worker. This is the 1st time i find Caps Cup scary, he may be on a mission.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Because you same 7 guys just re-hash the same **** you did from 5 years ago to each other and it gets boring. You guys haven;t had an original thought or legitimate argument in all that time, but it sure as hell doesn't stop you from making **** up to put Sid down any time you get. For some of you I get the feeling that you guys like bashing Sid more than you like following your own teams. It's a little sad really.

:laugh:

You 7 guys? You really think I bash Crosby around these boards and you want to call me out on it? :laugh:

This contradiction is just too golden. You are by and far the biggest critic for Ovechkin and each and every single time you get a chance you throw dirt on him. Even when it's not called for. It has been explained to you thousands of times. It doesn't matter if people do the same for Crosby since you are the last person with an ounce of credibility to call anyone out on personal agenda.

Crosby is the biggest name in hockey and he has fans and haters alike. I think some people bash him way too often and I've defended him time and time again. I've not once seen you say a positive thing about Ovechkin and yet you are calling me for not having an original thought. :laugh:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

And its not the same as pens fans who use the same ways to put down ovechkin in every year over and over and over and over ?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovy won't win the Rocket this season but he sure turned around his D game while still producing which is impressive by itself. His goal/assist ratio is still funny though but hey... he's a better team worker. This is the 1st time i find Caps Cup scary, he may be on a mission.

Sure, but please watch today the video of Backstrom missing the open net.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

May be a little early for this. This time last year he had 18 goals, now he has 21 to put him on pace for 54-55 goals. Will he get there? Maybe but this is the time of the year he always heats up

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That and it's turning into another ovi vs crosby thread and no one wants that....

Yup. Tells you that Sid is now doing fine. He's been looking great recently and I expect another top-10 finish in points. The whole team is playing on a different level. Best decision in a long time by their management was to get rid of that stonesledge of a coach.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
And its not the same as pens fans who use the same ways to put down ovechkin in every year over and over and over and over ?

The sides of this debate were pretty much set in the stickied Ovechkin vs. Crosby thread that existed on the main board until 2010. Not surprisingly, few have changed their opinion over the past six years as each player has endured their ups and downs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Crosby continues his pace under Sullivan this year (5 goals and 10 points in 9 games), he'll finish with 35 goals and 78 points. I don't think he'll have quite that many goals, but a 30 goal, PPG season is totally in the realm of possibility for him. That would likely put him close to the top-5 in scoring, which would be great considering his horrible start. He needs to get 52 points in 44 games to hit a PPG this year, that's not unrealistic at all IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad