Value of: Crosby to the Sabres?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Buffalo is a young growing team but I dont think this would be his option. Id put money down that there's only 1 team he would be okay with being traded to. COL and thats to play with MacKinnon

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Lock this up
Three pages. Can't believe I'm in before the lock.

Hypothetically speaking if the pens wanted to start a full teardown rebuild Sabres are a team that could benefit from Crosby and have enough pieces where it doesn't gut the core. What does it take?
He just isn't going to waive for Buffalo. He plays out his contract. If he plays anywhere else it's likely with Nate.

Reactions: Linds

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I think you need to start by kidnapping Mrs. Crosby. Sid isn’t going to wave for anyone without motivation.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
This is a extremely silly thread…no one from Buffalo curious whether Crosby would wave or not to come to Buffalo because it’s just not a realistic trade. That is not the player that buffalo is giving up a ton of resources for at that stage of his career.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If the front office of the pens tell Crosby they are in for a full rebuild he might waive to whoever offers the best package, and he would be our 1c and turn the Sabres into a playoff team and will be heralded for helping the Sabres turn around. He could take a look at our lineup and see the potential with our d core, and also has more wingers to play with than in Pittsburgh with skinner, tuch, quinn, peterka, and Benson top 9 would be:
Skinner-crosby-quinn
Benson-thompson-tuch
Greenway-cozens-jjp
That's a playoff contender right there
A base for a package at draft day would be: 24 1st, 25 1st(unprotected),rosen, and kulich incredible return for a year of Crosby

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He likely stays in Pittsburgh. But if not, only teams I could see are Colorado (MacKinnon), Boston (Marchand) or maaybe Edmonton for the McDavid/Canada aspect. He's not going to a middling team.

Reactions: wintersej

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hypothetically speaking if the pens wanted to start a full teardown rebuild Sabres are a team that could benefit from Crosby and have enough pieces where it doesn't gut the core. What does it take?
Crosby agreeing to go there.

Reactions: domaug

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
crosby could end up anywhere if he gets a chance at an ownership stake post retirement. with FSG in pittsburgh, that might not be a viable play there, but the pegulas could carve something out

then again, the more likely outcome is that sid gets first dibs at leading the group that brings the 44th nhl team to halifax (concurrent with expansion to new orleans and a second team in phoenix)

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Crosby isn't going to Buffalo, that's just silly

I'd put it at:

90% retiring a Penguin
5% Boston to play with his summer training buddy (Marchand)
5% Some other cup contender (of which Buffalo isn't one)

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Crosby is required to be traded to St Louis if he ever seems an exit. In the NHL bylaws I believe

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
He likely stays in Pittsburgh. But if not, only teams I could see are Colorado (MacKinnon), Boston (Marchand) or maaybe Edmonton for the McDavid/Canada aspect. He's not going to a middling team.
It wouldn't be out of the question for him to pull a John Tavares and want to play for his childhood team, the Habs. I don't know if he had Habs pyjamas, but I recall in 2005 at the lottery he held some hope of ending up in Montreal, apparently. But that's a lifetime ago.

Even then though, Montreal or any other rebuilding team wouldn't give up significant value for a guy with a few years left.

I doubt he fetches much for PIT since he'll be the one deciding where he wants to go.

Crosby isn't going to Buffalo, that's just silly

I'd put it at:

90% retiring a Penguin
5% Boston to play with his summer training buddy (Marchand)
5% Some other cup contender (of which Buffalo isn't one)
I'd say 80% retiring in PIT
5% Colorado
5% Montreal
10% some other contender (Vancouver, NYR, etc.)

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Honestly, if he’s not retiring in Pits, then I think he’d want to go to a Canadian team.
Somewhere he could help bring the Cup back home to Canada.
Lmao, nah he'd want to go play for a winner franchise if he left the Pens.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If McDavid in his prime can't bring the cup to Canada, why would a 36 yr old Crosby be able to? And I say this as someone who really likes and respects Sid... but as shown in Pittsburgh even he can't drag a shit team to the playoffs anymore
How about as the 2nd line center in Edmonton with Drai on his wing?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
They have plenty of guys with W/C ability. Sid wont move to Wing but Mittelstadt could, or even Mackinnon could.

Or they just run Mackinnon-Crosby-Mittelstadt down the middle and shift Colton to the wing.

If Crosby wants to come to Colorado, they'll make it work. No doubt about that.

I imagine if Colorado pulled off a Crosby trade you'd see them run MacKinnon, Crosby and Mittelstadt very similar to how Edmonton used McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Specifically I think you'd see Crosby center 2C and rotate onto MacKinnon's wing for large portions like Draisaitl does in Edmonton.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Bringing the Cup back home to Canada would solidify his status in Canada long after he retires.. he’s got WJ Gold, Olympic Gold, and has multiple Cups with the Pens, but winning a cup in Canada… HUGE
The last thing Crosby needs is to solidify his status in Canada. He already did that the second he scored the ‘Golden Goal’

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Dahlin is currently better.

The proposed package is asinine for an "87" year old

the entire idea of him coming to Buffalo is a waste of time and effort because it's never gonna happen,

If you’re going to trade for a legacy player who isn't available in trade, it’s gonna take a comical amount.

I’d light a pile of shit on fire and throw it at Dubas if he traded Sid to f***ing Buffalo.

Reactions: domaug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad