Crosby Selke Candidate?

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
True, nowadays, most haters come from Philly, Washington or New York. The rest of the league respects him.

As for the Selke, I don't think he will win it, but he certainly deserves to be considered in the upper echelon of forwards playing good defense. It will probably earn it a Selke down the road, but maybe not this year.

Actually, from what I can tell from the main boards, it's mainly still Detroit. A lot of Wings fans have a fairly unhealthy obsession with all things Crosby/Pittsburgh. Getting the last laugh against them seems to have really wound them up.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
This thread makes more sense than the Kunitz one did thats for sure. lol

I could see him getting some 3rd place votes but kinda doubt he actually finishes in the top 3. Who are the front runners this year?
Toews and Datsyuk (per NHL rules) and ??

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Pretty much a given the Hawks will grab major hardware this year just because of that run.

?

They'll probably grab the Presidents trophy.

Toews stands a chance at the Selke but I'd put Bergeron and Datsyuk ahead of him.

What other major hardware will they get based on that streak? Crosby has the inside track to both the Art Ross and Hart and I would think good chance at the Ted Lindsay as well. Stamkos rocket. Kane will probably be a top 3 finalist for the Hart and may the Lindsay, but Indont see him taking it home.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
?

They'll probably grab the Presidents trophy.

Toews stands a chance at the Selke but I'd put Bergeron and Datsyuk ahead of him.

What other major hardware will they get based on that streak? Crosby has the inside track to both the Art Ross and Hart and I would think good chance at the Ted Lindsay as well. Stamkos rocket. Kane will probably be a top 3 finalist for the Hart and may the Lindsay, but Indont see him taking it home.

Just going by what the press has written, who also vote for the awards. I see all of this stuff how the Hawk's streak "save the league after the lockout", so we all know what that warm and fuzzy circle jerking can lead to.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually, from what I can tell from the main boards, it's mainly still Detroit. A lot of Wings fans have a fairly unhealthy obsession with all things Crosby/Pittsburgh. Getting the last laugh against them seems to have really wound them up.

It's pretty crazy, honestly.

You'd think it was a Maple Leafs type situation where they hadn't won in decades and the Pens crushed their hopes once they finally got back to the promised land.

Don't get me wrong, I had no love for Detroit after 08, but I wasn't going out of my way to show it.

It's like a certain segment of their fanbase was so used to having things go their way that when they didn't it just completely broke them.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It's pretty crazy, honestly.

You'd think it was a Maple Leafs type situation where they hadn't won in decades and the Pens crushed their hopes once they finally got back to the promised land.

Don't get me wrong, I had no love for Detroit after 08, but I wasn't going out of my way to show it.

It's like a certain segment of their fanbase was so used to having things go their way that when they didn't it just completely broke them.

They're still pissed off over the Crosby "snub" during the handshake line. Apparently Crosby is not allowed to celebrate after just winning the Stanley Cup.

Of course, I always felt the handshake snub was brought up as a distraction from the real issue - the Red Wings blew a 2-0 series lead. Don't look over here, look over there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Selke often seems to be a "reputation" award. I think for Sid to win it, he'll have to play the kind of D he's playing this year for at least a couple more seasons to build up his "hype" defensively.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Has anyone ever won a scoring title and a Selke in the same year?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Has anyone ever won a scoring title and a Selke in the same year?

nope.

Fedorov was second in points when he won in 1993-94
Datsyuk was fourth in points when he won in both 2007-08, 2008-09
Ronnie was fifth in points when he won in 1994-95

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's hard to imagine Crosby Hate turned up to 11 but if he ever wins the Selke it will happen. "OMF G you guyz.... I can't believe how hard the media and NHL are pushing Crosby to win every award; now he's won the Selke becuse of them!" :thumbu:

I don't think he's the best defensive F in the game this year, nor has he been in the past, but he's definitely been good in that dept this season and will probably get an honorable mention.

Here's my question. How important is the actual defense to winning the Selke? Obviously, you need to be good enough defensively to be considered a defensive center. But after that, it seems like its just the best player who has that reputation of being good at defense.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
If Crosby wins a Selke doing what he is doing now in terms of point production in a low-scoring NHL with average linemates.. that, my friends, would be a season for the ages. In contention for one of the best ever.

I don't think he will get serious Selke consideration until he starts scoring less. Unfortunate, but that's how it is.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
If anyone on our top line is to win the Selke, I think it should be Dupuis. He's our best defensive forward, in my opinion. Sid and Kunitz are looking pretty damn good themselves though, and I'd love to see any one of them win it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They're still pissed off over the Crosby "snub" during the handshake line. Apparently Crosby is not allowed to celebrate after just winning the Stanley Cup.

Of course, I always felt the handshake snub was brought up as a distraction from the real issue - the Red Wings blew a 2-0 series lead. Don't look over here, look over there.
I'm not sure if Sid ever gave his side of things or if the Wings were just so upset that they need to fingerpoint. Sid waited for the Pens black aces first and then went on to the handshake line. As a Pens fan I like that he did that and could care less what anyone else thinks. They're just going to hate him anyway.

Sid for the Selke? Maybe but not yet. IMO there are very few player in the history of hockey that play the entire 200' of ice like Crosby. I actually think he makes work in his own zone a little to hard on himself and is a little to active. Kind of like 80's Yzerman.

People want to make it like Yzerman learned to play defense during the 90's. IMO he was always good defensively but focused more on defense after he tore up his knee the first time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad