Crosby Selke Candidate?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Just because we had a Kunitz thread on this :)

But seriously. Crosby is back checking like a demon and has *really* stepped up his defensive play as of late. Combined with his obvious offensive upside (something all Selke candidates must have usually) I think he might get nominated for it at least this year.

thoughts?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Apparently Sid is crap defensively and not even in the same galaxy as Pavel Datsyuk.

We should trade Sid while his value is really high right now.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't know if he'll win it, but Crosby's excellent 2-way play is getting a lot of play in the media lately. And since they vote on the award, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sid get a nomination.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
It's hard to imagine Crosby Hate turned up to 11 but if he ever wins the Selke it will happen. "OMF G you guyz.... I can't believe how hard the media and NHL are pushing Crosby to win every award; now he's won the Selke becuse of them!" :thumbu:

I don't think he's the best defensive F in the game this year, nor has he been in the past, but he's definitely been good in that dept this season and will probably get an honorable mention.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Best thing about Crosby is that he improved anything he was criticized for. People complained about faceoffs and he improved, the complained about defensive play and he improved it. They said he was just a playmaker and he scored 50 goals. That is really the most impressive thing to me, the willingness to improve even if you are considered the best in whatever you do.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the crosby hate has really slowed down. He's earned so much respect from around the league as of late. You will always have your haters, but I feel it's changed a lot since he won the Cup and Gold.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Highly unlikely but he's definitely stepped up his game in that area.

It would be worth him winning just to see Mike Milbury inevitably set himself on fire.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I want him to win it just so the main boards can explode. Then Pens fans could stroll through the post-apocalyptic remains without fear of persecution.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I think the crosby hate has really slowed down. He's earned so much respect from around the league as of late. You will always have your haters, but I feel it's changed a lot since he won the Cup and Gold.

True, nowadays, most haters come from Philly, Washington or New York. The rest of the league respects him.

As for the Selke, I don't think he will win it, but he certainly deserves to be considered in the upper echelon of forwards playing good defense. It will probably earn it a Selke down the road, but maybe not this year.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
True, nowadays, most haters come from Philly, Washington or New York. The rest of the league respects him.

As for the Selke, I don't think he will win it, but he certainly deserves to be considered in the upper echelon of forwards playing good defense. It will probably earn it a Selke down the road, but maybe not this year.

Also a very high concentration of dislikers from the Greater Detroit Area.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Best thing about Crosby is that he improved anything he was criticized for. People complained about faceoffs and he improved, the complained about defensive play and he improved it. They said he was just a playmaker and he scored 50 goals. That is really the most impressive thing to me, the willingness to improve even if you are considered the best in whatever you do.

Good points. It is pretty impressive how he turns all that stuff into motivation and then actually performs to a level that shuts people up (to a degree).

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Even at that, a lot of those fans hate but respect him.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't think he is quite there yet, but he has become a very good defensive player. I think when he gets into his 30s that part of his game will get more recognition and will improve.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I think the only people who still constantly hate on Crosby either: a) are living in the past; b) consciously or subconsciously hate him because he's not on their team; or c) are mouthbreathing troglodytes with misdirected anger issues and low self-esteem.

Just personal observations based on what I've seen.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Something tells me, from the way he's played thus far, he will never be a 50+ goal scorer again.

I wouldn't count on it. Lets see what happens when he has some summers to work on his game rather than trying to get into shape and worrying about his health. When he thinks he needs to score more going into a season I think he will make a run at it.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
This guy pretty much has it on lock this year..

b.jpg

Errr..wait..

That's better..

jonathan-toews-chicago-blackhawks-flickr.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad