Crosby Or Pronger (prime). Who Would You Add To This Roster?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
prime pronger took 2 medicore teams and 1 good team to the stanley cup finals. Pronger made marc andre bergeron a legit player. he compleely dominated when he was on the ice and made his whole TEAM better.

I mean, if you want to get technical about it, Crosby joined one of the worst teams in NHL history and has been the biggest part of why they have been a cup contender every single season since 2008.

That team has had depth issues and erratic/bad goaltending through a lot of that too.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Crosby, Promptly flipped for a high end #1 D, a good top 6 center, and whatever else gets thrown in.

so theyd flip Crosby for Brayden Coburn and whatever #2 center is in philly + crap. :sarcasm:

long term Crosby would probably help EDM get more UFA/trade attention. Pronger might a little too but based on his self-interest attitude... eh.. probably not as much.

from a pure "game" standpoint i'd take Pronger but it's a really tough call.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Pronger never missed the playoffs in his entire career, correct?

I take Pronger.

Man imagine having Both Pronger and Nurse on one team. :)

Pronger definitely missed the playoffs the first two years in hartford. That team was horrible.

I'd take Crosby for sure. You could trade Crosby for prime Pronger + more.

Eirhead*

Pronger for sure.

Guaranteed possession, tape to tape lasers, a slapshot that could go through goalies, and the smarts to use it properly.

Crosby is small and whiny. I won't deny that he's a good player, but based on the metrics of our team, we could use a Pronger way more than we could use a Crosby.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I mean, if you want to get technical about it, Crosby joined one of the worst teams in NHL history and has been the biggest part of why they have been a cup contender every single season since 2008.

That team has had depth issues and erratic/bad goaltending through a lot of that too.

you could also argue that the only time pronger had an equally or slightly worse defenceman doing the same job as him they won the cup in anaheim, Crosby has had Malkin since he came into the league.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Except Pittsburgh probably has no issues making the playoffs without Crosby

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if pittsburgh had malkin and prime pronger they would probably win more cups than with malkin and crosby

imo

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Pronger definitely missed the playoffs the first two years in hartford. That team was horrible.

I'd take Crosby for sure. You could trade Crosby for prime Pronger + more.

^^^ this

a team would be adding heavy along with Pronger to get Crosby in a trade.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Has Crosby hit his prime yet? That's the real question here.

That is a good question. What worries me is that with his injuries he just doesn't have the drive in the playoffs any more. He just isn't willing to go to that extra level and risk getting hurt.

But, I really don't know.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Has Crosby hit his prime yet? That's the real question here.
With what we've seen the last couple years I'd be worried he's past it if I was a Pens fan. It's so tough to predict how players will come back from injuries and he's had some tough ones. He could just as easily bounce back but you just don't know.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Pfft.

He just scored 104 points in a season where nobody else could crack 90.
And completely disappeared in the playoffs just as he has pretty much every year since they won the cup. Didn't do much in the Olympics either to be honest. He is a good player and I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinion but I'm personally more interested in someone giving my team a legitimate shot at winning a cup than a player who leads the league in scoring and then disappears in the playoffs when the games get tougher. Those meltdowns he has when things aren't going his way are troublesome and they seem to get worse every year. He had some pretty serious injuries and that's what I think his issue is. It has nothing to do with his character or spirit. Not everybody comes back all the way from surgeries, it doesn't help either that the poor guy was misdiagnosed for a couple years either. To me his frustration comes from him realizing he isn't the same as he was before.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Pronger. The guy could play 30 minutes a night routinely without looking tired. I know Crosby plays a ton for a forward (24-25 minutes), but that's 5-6 minutes more that Pronger will impact a game vs Crosby. Factor in that we already have a guy that could/should be a legit #1C this year (Nuge) vs nothing that remotely resembles a #1D, and it's a slam dunk.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Man the praise Pronger gets here is incredible. Sure he was a good Dman. Seriously though best dman to ever play the game?

Weird he only won the one cup, but he can thank Niedermayer for that one.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Pronger for sure. Crosby is a good player but not nearly the playoff performer that Pronger is.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Pronger for sure. Crosby is a good player but not nearly the playoff performer that Pronger is.

Pronger won 1 cup and made the finals 3 times?

Crosby as won a cup and been to the finals 2 times already in his short career.

To say hes not as good as a playoff performer is kinda silly especially since Pronger never did win the conn smythe?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Good question OP. I'd be REALLY torn.

Maybe I take Crosby cause I'm optimistic about Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin

Then again, I've been wanting a D like Pronger since.....Pronger.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Crosby no question for me.

And Pronger doesn't address us having "2 NHL Centermen".

The #1 and #3 overall picks playing top-six C do. Bottom-six C are easier to get.
2005-06 Pronger gets you 25 minutes a night of dominance, plus the ability to hide a scrub on your first pairing. A no-brainer.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

To say hes not as good as a playoff performer is kinda silly especially since Pronger never did win the conn smythe?

And Crosby has?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

He would've if we won that game 7 against Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad